Any Leafs delivered to Georgia yet?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bronsonb said:
sonnylax said:
On the morning commute to Alpharetta (Windward Pkwy/GA 400), I saw four different Leaf's this AM. Maybe it's because I'm a new Leaf Leasee, but I'm seeing a lot more on the roads these days.

Same here...used to see one or two a week. Now I am seeing one a day it seems!

LEAFs got so common they don't even wave back to you anymore! On a somewhat racist note, it's usually the Asians (including the Indians) who just don't give a damn :)

I got my TED, NEST, and many timers to shut off all usage from 2pm to 7pm. i can make ice at night and let it melt in front of a fan during the afternoon. it will be a battle of wills and wallets.

braineo said:
I got my TED, NEST, and many timers to shut off all usage from 2pm to 7pm. i can make ice at night and let it melt in front of a fan during the afternoon. it will be a battle of wills and wallets.
The last several summers we have been on the "cut back in the afternoon" Ga power program. I charge a SLAB with a solar collector in the morning and early aft then work my ham radio hobby in the "expensive time" strictly on battery. Now that I have a new LEAF, I will charge it late at night. We cut the A/C to the house during the "expensive time" and hang clothes on the clothes line and my wife's hobby is solar cooking (not the electric oven)- hey, we are retired - we have time to experiment. Your mileage may vary :)
I feel this helps Ga Pwr, too, because it takes my load off the grid when they need it for others (sick, elderly, hospitals, etc).

Ted

sonnylax said:
Are there any existing CHAdeMO charging stations in Metro Atlanta (or Georgia for that matter)?

Anyone installing them now?

No functioning Chademo in Georgia yet. The best hope is that one will be installed at Atlantic Station, if GA Power will play nice. Blink is supposed to install 15 in the area, mainly at convenience stores, but it keeps getting pushed back. Nissan has a regional representative who is also trying to get dealers or others to install them.

You can find some discussion of it on the EV Club of the South Facebook Page.

I put a $1000 down last month and have a $179/month lease payment for the next 23 months. Here is my lease math for the next 2 years:
April, 2013 - Dec, 2013: $1000 down plus eight $179/month payments = $2432
Jan, 2014 - Dec, 2014: Twelve $179/month payments = $2148
Jan, 2015 - March, 2015 - Three $179/month payments = $537
End of Lease Disposition Fee = $395

State of GA Tax questions.

1. GA ZEV Tax Credit = The lessor of 20% of the cost or $5000 tax credit is allowed for the purchase or lease of a new ZEV.

My vehicle "cost" to determine this State of GA Tax Credit equals the above lease costs, correct?? So, I get to deduct $486.4 (20% of $2432) from my taxes this FY (2013, filed in early 2014) plus $429.6 (20% of $2148) for FY2014 (filed in early 2015) plus $107 (20% of $537) for FY15 (filed in early 2016)? Assuming no sunset provision.

Will I get to deduct the End of Lease Disposition Fee too?

2. EV Charger = The lessor of 10% of the vehicle charger and installation cost OR $2500 tax credit is allowed for the purchase and install of qualified EV charger.

I spent $535 on the Clipper Creek charger. And another $1000 to install. Had to put in a new sub-panel and rearrange some stuff to make it work.

So, I get to deduct $153.5 (10% of $1535) from my FY13 State of GA taxes?

P.S. I don't fully understand that clause that states "In no event shall the amount of any of these tax credits exceed the taxpayer's income tax liability."

I typically get a small refund from the state of Georgia. Last year, I owed state of GA around $6k and had payments/credits of around $5k. Leaving me with ~$1000.00 refund from State of GA.

If everything remains the same, I should expect my State of GA Refund to increase approx. $639.9 (486.4 + 153.5) - right??

Hi Sonnylax-
Congrats on the Leaf Lease. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to learn you should get the full $5,000 tax credit. The credit of 20% of purchase price up to $5K is based, for leases, on the capitalized cost. So as long as the capitalized cost is at least $25K, you get the full $5,000. It's not, as I thought once too, based on what you actually pay out of pocket for the Leaf.

I can attest to this as I've already received by $5,000 for the Leaf I leased last November.

Although you have to file by paper for the EV credit, I received mine in about 4 - 6 weeks. Much faster than those who submitted in 2011 and had to wait about six MONTHS from what I hear.

As for the tax liability statement, that just means that you have to pay at least $5,000 in taxes to get the full $5,000. If you only paid $4K in taxes, then you'd only get $4k for the credit. I think you already figured out that it's your tax liability and not your actual refund.

As for the charger credit, I don't have the details in front of me, but I recall it was only for COMMERCIAL chargers. I don't think GA gives you a credit for one you install in your home (but I might be wrong).

bronsonb said:

As for the tax liability statement, that just means that you have to pay at least $5,000 in taxes to get the full $5,000. If you only paid $4K in taxes, then you'd only get $4k for the credit. I think you already figured out that it's your tax liability and not your actual refund.

Note here though that the credit does carry over for up to 5 years, so if you can't use all of it this year, you can use the rest of it next year.

bronsonb said:

As for the charger credit, I don't have the details in front of me, but I recall it was only for COMMERCIAL chargers. I don't think GA gives you a credit for one you install in your home (but I might be wrong).

I've not looked closely at GA, but I'm pretty sure you can get a federal deduction for 30% of the installation of the charging station.

Daniel is correct...you can roll over the GA rebate for up to five years. Thanks for correcting me there! It's the federal rebate that cannot be rolled over (but with the lease, Nissan gives that to you as a capital cost reduction).

getabetterpic said:
bronsonb said:

I've not looked closely at GA, but I'm pretty sure you can get a federal deduction for 30% of the installation of the charging station.
Yes. The federal credit was reinstated this year. I missed out on it in 2011 because I bought the Leaf and was taking the $7500 on the same return. This kicked in something called a Temporary Minimum Tax (or something like that) that kept me from taking the deduction and the credit in the same year. Since you are leasing, and didn't get the $7500 directly, I assume this would not apply to you. :)

cracovian said:
Is that $179 inclusive of all the fees and taxes? Is that for a 2013?

Yes, 2013 Leaf S with quick charger.

Read here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=285747#p285747" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and here:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=286196#p286196" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bronsonb said:
Hi Sonnylax-
Congrats on the Leaf Lease. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to learn you should get the full $5,000 tax credit. The credit of 20% of purchase price up to $5K is based, for leases, on the capitalized cost. So as long as the capitalized cost is at least $25K, you get the full $5,000. It's not, as I thought once too, based on what you actually pay out of pocket for the Leaf.

I can attest to this as I've already received by $5,000 for the Leaf I leased last November.

Although you have to file by paper for the EV credit, I received mine in about 4 - 6 weeks. Much faster than those who submitted in 2011 and had to wait about six MONTHS from what I hear.

I don't follow you. The State of GA mails you a check for $5k, outside your normal Fiscal Year Tax Refund??

Sorry about the confusion. The $5K is PART of your refund. Let's say you had a total tax liability of $10,000 for state of GA. You had withheld $7,000. Normally you'd get back $3,000. But if you leased the Leaf, you'd end up getting back $8,000 (your normal $3K plus the $5K tax credit for leasing the Leaf).

If you go through TurboTax or TaxCut, you'll see where you can insert the tax credit to see how your taxes would have fared for 2012.

bronsonb said:
Sorry about the confusion. The $5K is PART of your refund. Let's say you had a total tax liability of $10,000 for state of GA. You had withheld $7,000. Normally you'd get back $3,000. But if you leased the Leaf, you'd end up getting back $8,000 (your normal $3K plus the $5K tax credit for leasing the Leaf).

If you go through TurboTax or TaxCut, you'll see where you can insert the tax credit to see how your taxes would have fared for 2012.

If you have 10,000 in tax liability but only withheld 7000 - you would owe the state $3k before the $5k EV tax credit comes into play. So you would get back $2k - not $8k.

Darn! My math has gotten poor! Thanks for swooping in and clarifying. No fuzzy math needed. Just someone who can add and subtract (obviously not me).

So it's a $5k Tax Credit, assuming you have at least $5K in GA Tax Liability for the Fiscal Year. Regardless of what money is withheld OR what ever GA Tax Credits you are entitled too?

sonnylax said:
So it's a $5k Tax Credit, assuming you have at least $5K in GA Tax Liability for the Fiscal Year. Regardless of what money is withheld OR what ever GA Tax Credits you are entitled too?

Almost. It is a $5k tax credit, assuming you have $5k in GA tax liability WITHIN THE NEXT 5 YEARS. This credit CAN be carried over for up to 5 years. And the second part is correct, this is regardiless of what money is withheld or other credits (as long as those other credits don't take your tax liability to $0).

EDIT:

I wanted to clarify this a bit. Say you have $2,400 in GA tax liability this year, so you want to use the credit. So you could use $2,400 of it this year, leaving a $2,600 carryover. Now suppose you still had $2,400 in tax liability in year 2. The $2,600 you didn't use the previous year can be applied to this, reducing your tax liability in year 2 to $0 again. In year 3, you again have $2,400 in tax liability, but there is $200 of the credit you still haven't used. This can be applied in year 3, bringing the tax liability down to $2,200.

So as long as you will have $5,000 in tax liability in the next 5 years, you should be able to use the entire tax credit.

I think I understand it now...

I re-read the form. The EV Charger credit only applies to non-retail Business enterprises. So that wouldn't couldn't be used by a residential tax-payer.

Back