Promoting Electric Vehicles Act of 2010

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cdub said:
I like the idea of making the credit instant (mentioned in the article).

I'd rather have that then have the credit increase to 10k as that won't change the deficit at all...you'd just get the money at time of sale instead of having to wait.

No, because people that do not owe taxes will get rebates so it wont be funded by tax revenue.

I'm still amazed that a state as bankrupt as California is still
paying out $$$ for anything.....

%7B2842f61c-12a0-4b62-926b-b66321ae5a8b%7D.gif

EVDRIVER said:
cdub said:
I like the idea of making the credit instant (mentioned in the article).

I'd rather have that then have the credit increase to 10k as that won't change the deficit at all...you'd just get the money at time of sale instead of having to wait.

No, because people that do not owe taxes will get rebates so it wont be funded by tax revenue.

Ah... you're right. Didn't think about that.

cdub said:
EVDRIVER said:

Ah... you're right. Didn't think about that.
True, but I think it's still a zero-sum-game, because the EV aspirant could simply switch to being a lessee, resulting in the rebate being collected by the leasing company. Might as well provide that rebate to the car's owner (the driver not the lessor). Short of people who won't lease out of principal ... the end result is the same. And I think the effect of such a large rebate will make "leasing believers" out of those who normally only buy (that would be me).

Check this old thread.

The increase in credit is dead.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1275

I should probably merge the threads.

garygid said:
People need jobs, not handouts.
With too-few jobs and products,
we have insufficient "real" economy.

Handouts are routinely given to Big Oil (just to mention one) without "patriots" taking up the streets with misspelled signs and funny hats.
It's just a matter of picking one recipient instead of another.

garygid said:
People need jobs, not handouts.
With too-few jobs and products,
we have insufficient "real" economy.

Well - freaking nothing is made in America anymore. That's why. Everything... and I mean EVERYTHING is made in Asia.

Try buying a toy that's not made in Asia.

Try buying ANYTHING that's not made in Asia. Things that aren't are $$$.

It's ironic that most Japanese cars are made in the US and all US cars are made in Canada or Mexico.

The political process in the USA is basically a matter of who gets a piece of the pie. Spoils are distributed via both parties and the country has no long term interest in any of those distributions. It is an anomaly that there are EV credits at all. Grab them while you can.

hodad66 said:
I'm still amazed that a state as bankrupt as California is still
paying out $$$ for anything.....

%7B2842f61c-12a0-4b62-926b-b66321ae5a8b%7D.gif

Excuse me. Actually the CA Economy would have a surplus if we did not pay for the majority of "Red" states. :arrow: Simple Fact -76% of "Red" states SPEND more money than they collect in Federal Taxes! The worst "Red" state is North Dakota which spends $2.03 for each Federal tax dollar it collects, Mississippi spends $1.84, Alaska spends $1.82... it goes on and on... :!: CA only SPENDS .81 cents of each dollar it collect from us fine residents. The other .19 cents per dollar from the fifth largest economy in the world is then mostly given to "Tea Party States". I am thinking CA should stop doing this!!! Congratulations however, Oregon and Florida spend $1.00 for each dollar they collect. These two states are not exactly saving anything but also NOT asking CA for handouts.

I would love to see the "RED" states just try to secede...... what
a joke! The "something for nothing" crowd could just begin to
truly live what they preach. My comment was not meant to offend
but all we hear about is the state's inability to make ends meet.

Though not a California resident, it is factually true that California gets a very bad deal out of the Federal structure. They are basically subsidizing other states. Last time I looked Pennsylvania was getting a slightly positive deal, probably as a result of the Social Security transfer payments.

Within California, a less gerrymandered legislature and fewer public initiatives would probably help. Californians have, like the rest of the United States of both parties, voted for increased spending and no increased taxes. This is an equation not tolerated by the mathematically inclined Chinese Engineers running the PRC.

I think the ballot initiatives are the worst thing ever in CA. That's alot of the problems. Plus the 2/3s majority to pass a budget (which unfortunately the US Senate has practically adopted)

60 votes to get anything done is not how the Constitution was written.

cdub said:
Jimmydreams said:
Fabio said:
http://nissan-leaf.net/2010/10/14/congress-prodded-to-raise-200000-cap-on-ev-credits-make-instant-and-bump-amount-to-10000/

This will probably not happen if those <self-censored/> take control of congress.

Which <self-censored/> group are you talking about? The politicians?? :evil:

Republicans.. obviously. Whom are only concerned with their rich big oill friend's wallets off the backs of the rest of us.

Gee.....I'm a "Republican", who ordered a leaf, and my main car is a Prius. I don't have any "rich oil friends" with big wallets. I suggest you refrain from stereotyping. (and learn how to spell and use correct grammar :( :( )

Let's not get too flame ridden here. Just remember that whatever your differences are, there are a ton of Chinese happy to see you exacerbate them.

sjfotos said:
Let's not get too flame ridden here. Just remember that whatever your differences are, there are a ton of Chinese happy to see you exacerbate them.
Could you explain the Chinese references? I'm not quite getting them.

derkraut said:
Gee.....I'm a "Republican", who ordered a leaf, and my main car is a Prius. I don't have any "rich oil friends" with big wallets. I suggest you refrain from stereotyping. (and learn how to spell and use correct grammar :( :( )

When I speak of "Republicans"... I speak of the politicians you vote into office and consistently work against your best interests. They certainly have rich oil friends with big wallets who fund their campaigns.

You as a Republican voter may not feel that way or have rich oil friends per se. I wasn't stereotyping Republican voters - just the politicians... and there are few exceptions... but they are in the very very extreme minority. Unfortunately all the sane Republican politicians seem to be losing all of their primaries because they aren't extreme enough.

Re spelling and grammar - I type fast.

cdub said:
derkraut said:

When I speak of "Republicans"... I speak of the politicians you vote into office and consistently work against your best interests. They certainly have rich oil friends with big wallets who fund their campaigns.

You as a Republican voter may not feel that way or have rich oil friends per se. I wasn't stereotyping Republican voters - just the politicians... and there are few exceptions... but they are in the very very extreme minority. Unfortunately all the sane Republican politicians seem to be losing all of their primaries because they aren't extreme enough.

Thanks for clarifying....I appreciate it. :)

derkraut said:
cdub said:
derkraut said:

Thanks for clarifying....I appreciate it. :)

NP. Lamar Alexander is one of those exceptions BTW - he's an EV supporter and a Republican Senator. We need sane Republican senators. I fear the Senate (and our political society) is falling into an extreme case of us against them.

Our entertainment based political news and media is magnifying this and making it too much of a game. Our political media and world (and politicians) always seem to focus on our differences and not what brings us together and our common interests. Ah well...

Merged.

There is no problem getting higher subsidy for EVs. Both parties support it. Afterall many auto manufacturers are in south states and the senators from there will support it. No point imagining Republican opposition ... checkout the senate committee vote on this.

Also oil companies are fine with EV subsidies. They are supporting the legislation.

Back