'12 Red SL w/sunroof, side moldings, tint and Juke wheels!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Car Looks Great!! Congrats.. LOVE the sunroof. Please tell me where you had it done and cost?

PatricioEV said:
DSC01657.jpg

CasperNleaf said:
oxo said:
GetOffYourGas said:
Impressive! I never thought such a weird looking car could be made to look so good!

I am a big fan of sunroofs, and miss having one. I would look into doing the same if I weren't leasing the car. FWIW, even in cold upstate NY, a sunroof enhances a car. In the middle of the winter, when it's grey out, every little extra bit of light in the car helps one's mood! And in the summer, you don't even need A/C with a sunroof.

Love the sunroof! Does anyone know for certain if a lease prevents you from making mods like these? The one dealer I asked said as long as it's not adding wear and tear it's no problem and you should be fine at lease turn in time.

If it's a quality sunroof that's professionally installed then you're adding value to the car. Not that I'd spend more than a grand for a vehicle that I don't intend to keep but if you're going to do it the sooner the better.

Hmmm hold on for just a second. You are actually required by NMAC (Nissan's lease company) to get authorization to make any customizations to the vehicle. Very unlikely that they would approve an aftermarket sunroof on a car like this, but I'd love to be proved wrong!

Bateman said:
Hmmm hold on for just a second. You are actually required by NMAC (Nissan's lease company) to get authorization to make any customizations to the vehicle. Very unlikely that they would approve an aftermarket sunroof on a car like this, but I'd love to be proved wrong!

Ok, let me share some love then! :) I spent the morning on the phone back and forth with Nissan's Lease Customer Network and Alliance Inspection who inspect all turned in vehicles at the end of the lease. What I was finally told was as long as it's a professional installation and there are no issues with the roof like it leaking, not working properly or a botched install, when the vehicle is turned back in, then there will be no charge and it is okay to have installed one. I was also given assurances by a Sr Representative named Sharlton King at the Nissan Lease Customer Network at 800/778-4211 that I should call him after I had the lease in place so he could document that my particular vehicle had the roof and that I would not be charged at turn in, if it was as described above. By the same token, he explained that there could be a charge if it leaked or didn't work properly or was a butcher job install. So, it seems like a go!

*AND* it's only fitting that it be paid for with VPP savings, since Nissan and every other car mfg is way overly paranoid to put a sunroof in anything they are trying to squeeze mileage figures out of. Even a Ford C-Max advertises one but it doesn't open - it's just a fixed glass panel.

Not what you were hoping for on a perfect 75 degree evening while driving along the road next to the Ocean. :mrgreen:

oxo said:
Bateman said:

Ok, let me share some love then! :) I spent the morning on the phone back and forth with Nissan's Lease Customer Network and Alliance Inspection who inspect all turned in vehicles at the end of the lease. What I was finally told was as long as it's a professional installation and there are no issues with the roof like it leaking, not working properly or a botched install, when the vehicle is turned back in, then there will be no charge and it is okay to have installed one. I was also given assurances by a Sr Representative named Sharlton King at the Nissan Lease Customer Network at 800/778-4211 that I should call him after I had the lease in place so he could document that my particular vehicle had the roof and that I would not be charged at turn in, if it was as described above. By the same token, he explained that there could be a charge if it leaked or didn't work properly or was a butcher job install. So, it seems like a go!

That's awesome news! It seems silly that the Leaf isn't offered with a factory sunroof option. Seems like a great car for it. I've learned something new today, and if NMAC will really document that the alteration is approved, you've really done well in this situation. Congrats!

Back