So, owners what range are you getting ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
plugzin said:
Took delievery 3/29/2011, and now have 29,500 on the odometer. Did a trip yesterday, starting at 100% SOC. After 50 miles, 95% freeway no faster than 60 mph, no A/C, windows up, was depleted into the red zone. Nissan markets this car as a "100 mile EV", but if this is going to be the norm, especially for people who did a purchase vs. lease, Nissan is going to need to fix it. My 2002 RAV 4 EV did much better than this at 30,000 miles. I recall no noticeable range loss on that one until well after 100,000 miles. My hunch is that in a rush to get the Leaf into production and out the door, temperature management for the battery pack was not dealt with appropriately. Perhaps there are a few modules that are in a position not to be cooled effectively by the passive scheme, and some kind of active cooling is really necessary. The old RAV had some huge blowers that would run, but look at the longevity! BTW - this is in coastal San Diego, not Phoenix.

Is Nissan still as quiet as a church mouse on this issue? They can fix it if they want to, but my guess is that they would rather sell entire cars. Good thing mine is on a lease that comes to an end in ten months. Maybe the new RAV4 EV is a better deal, unless the 2014 has some real changes included. I'm a promoter of EV's, believe me, but this is taxing my patience. I started out charging most days to 80%, but with this range loss, can no longer tolerate that.

There is no red zone for the fuel bars as those two red bars are the last two Capacity Bars. I once drove 50 miles on the last two fuel bars and was still about 3% (4% left) from Turtle.

LEAFfan said:
plugzin said:
Took delievery 3/29/2011, and now have 29,500 on the odometer. Did a trip yesterday, starting at 100% SOC. After 50 miles, 95% freeway no faster than 60 mph, no A/C, windows up, was depleted into the red zone.
There is no red zone for the fuel bars as those two red bars are the last two Capacity Bars. I once drove 50 miles on the last two fuel bars and was still about 3% (4% left) from Turtle.
Yeah, with 2 bars left there's still at least 15-20 miles left at 65 mph...

Is the GOM really that pessimistic? Was into the single digits at this point. What I meant to say was that my "fuel" bars were reflective of the last two, red capacity bars.

Good range on our 2013 Leaf S so far. Nearly one mile traveled per % SOC in many cases.

Recent freeway test, one person in car (me, 155 pounds) Very light tailwind outbound trip. No drafting. Freeway speed consistently 60-65 mph. No climate control other than turning the AC on for about 2 minutes on the way home. Weather was about 80 degrees F and mostly sunny. Windows up most of the way.

Location-----------TTl Miles traveled ------SOC--------------Notes
Home-Bakersfield ----0------------------100%
Fwy Entrance--------58------------------094%
Laval Road at I5------34.3------------------60% -------approx. 1,000 ft elevation gain. gradual.

Return trip

Location------------------TTL Miles Traveleod ----- SOC-------Notes
Laval Road at I5------------------34.3---------------60%------- Followed RV for about 10 miles at safe
Freeway exit Rosedale -------------63.6---------------33%-------distance but still got aerodynamic gain.
Home 70.0 26% -----Speeds still 60-65 mph.
----- Elevation loss: aprox. 1,000 ft, gradual

GOM seemed admirably accurate, and adjusted downward after we started climbing, then adjusted upward on the downslopes. However, the SOC meter in the dash directly in front of the driver is the most useful. This combined with info on miles driven and SOC depleted so far, can help one quickly determine if there is enough juice to get to the next destination.

Only 13 miles and 3000 feet of climing farther on the outbound leg would have got me to Frazier Park and a charging facility. I fuigure with 60% SCO remaining, this will be quite doable.

I drove 188 miles on one charge today with 8.8m/kW h, relatively flat terrain, little wind, 75F to start, and hit Turtle at 8 'Gids (Sim). I may upload the photos tomorrow.

LEAFfan said:
I drove 188 miles on one charge today with 8.8m/kW h, relatively flat terrain, little wind, 75F to start, and hit Turtle at 8 'Gids (Sim). I may upload the photos tomorrow.

What was your total drive time?

IMO, the most informative photo you could post is a screen shot of your Carwings rate simulation page showing the indicated total kWh use from the initial charge AND the kWh you received from regen during your drive.

I sure hope you "accept"ed to record that data...

Ed, I don't need Carwings. I have Jim's App which is extremely accurate plus if you X the 8.8 m/kW h by the numbr of kW hs (from the LEAF Battery App) that was put into the pack when I charged up you will get 188 miles. You can't get more accurate than that.
Total drive time was around 101/2 hours. Total time including stops was around 11 1/2 hrs.

You have more patience than me. 18 MPH, other than for a demonstration, is simply numbing!

LEAFfan said:
Ed, I don't need Carwings. I have Jim's App which is extremely accurate plus if you X the 8.8 m/kW h by the numbr of kW hs (from the LEAF Battery App) that was put into the pack when I charged up you will get 188 miles. You can't get more accurate than that.
Total drive time was around 101/2 hours. Total time including stops was around 11 1/2 hrs.

TomT said:
You have more patience than me. 18 MPH, other than for a demonstration, is simply numbing!

LEAFfan said:

The car showed 15.4mph for average speed. Maybe it counts total time and not just driving time. Some more stats from my drive:
7:30AM Start/70F/no wind/flat streets/no elevation change
100% charge dash/97.2% SoC App/21.8 kW h usable/272 'Gids (Sim)/96.9%
6 TBs Start/87F Ave. BTs/7 TBs/95F early PM
AH 62.3/CAP 94%
4.1V / 19mV diff.
10:53 Elasped Time/7:11 PM End Trip/89F/7 TBs
188.2 miles/Turtle 8 'Gids
LBW 18% dash/142 miles/29 DTE/2 bars
VLBW 8% dash/164.4 miles/1 bar/---@11 miles/--@6% SoC dash

while this distance "record" is an accomplishment of some sorts, who would drive their LEAF at 12-18 mph for any extended period of time?
if traveling at speeds like is what someone wants to do they could save a ton of cash by buying a good bicycle for your transport needs.

LEAFfan said:
That's awesome!

When I told my wife about your new record, she told me to thank you from all the LEAF wives out there for encouraging their husbands to drive EVEN SLOWER! :lol:

Next Time Take A Look At The Title Of The Thread, Then Decide Whether You Want To participate
apvbguy said:
while this distance "record" is an accomplishment of some sorts, who would drive their LEAF at 12-18 mph for any extended period of time?
if traveling at speeds like is what someone wants to do they could save a ton of cash by buying a good bicycle for your transport needs.

apvbguy said:

First of all, if you had read some details, the AVERAGE speed was 15.5mph, not even close to the speed I went. Secondly, the answer to your question is a driver that may need to stretch their miles to make it home or to a charging station. The best efficiency is between 12-15mph.

apvbguy said:
I think I could drive for a long time at 24 mph, which seems to be the lowest speed that you can engage cruise control. Otherwise, it sounds like a lot of work. :)

Staque said:
apvbguy said:
I think I could drive for a long time at 24 mph, which seems to be the lowest speed that you can engage cruise control. Otherwise, it sounds like a lot of work. :)

I did 2.5 mile loops at 10mph to 15mph, and that was a pain in the posterior keeping the speed steady for 10 to 15 minutes at a time.

Staque said:
apvbguy said:
I am sure that it is possible to duplicate the long distance attained, and it would make for a great science project for some, however I would bet that many people just want the car to transport them at "normal" speeds as it was intended to do. If I was ok with moving about at bicycle speeds I could just ride a bicycle and save a bunch of cash.

apvbguy said:
Staque said:
apvbguy said:
I am sure that it is possible to duplicate the long distance attained, and it would make for a great science project for some, however I would bet that many people just want the car to transport them at "normal" speeds as it was intended to do. If I was ok with moving about at bicycle speeds I could just ride a bicycle and save a bunch of cash.

Once again, you missed the point of my Efficiency Run.

LEAFfan said:
Once again, you missed the point of my Efficiency Run.
I fully understand the point of it, you are proving that if you make the batteries drain or discharge slowly you can get high range out of the car.
however what you call "efficiency" is quite meaningless, a car that is limited to an average speed of 15 mph is not a product too many people want.
how about instead of focusing on how to get the most distance while using the least juice people focused on getting the best performance for the least kwh consumption, solve that and you'll be on to something

Staque said:
apvbguy said:

On my car, the slowest 'actual' speed you can go with CC is 22mph, 23mph on the Speedo. My '11 was 23mph actual, 24mph on the Speedo. So unlike last year, I went 1mph slower this year.

Back