Just a reminder...(Will EVs get crushed again ?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdbonez

Just a reminder that a co-worker never lets anyone forget:
  • 1st Generation General Motors EV-1s were "permanently recalled" about 2 years into their leases.
  • 2nd Generation General Motors EV-1 lease holders were forced to turn in their EV-1s when their 3yr leases expired with no option to extend the lease or buy the car.

While production is obviously planned to be much higher this time around, and more engineering has gone into things for sure,....ya' never know. Of course, you're also likely to be able to get another suitable replacement this time around as well.

sdbonez said:
  • 1st Generation General Motors EV-1s were "permanently recalled" about 2 years into their leases.
  • 2nd Generation General Motors EV-1 lease holders were forced to turn in their EV-1s when their 3yr leases expired with no option to extend the lease or buy the car.

While production is obviously planned to be much higher this time around, and more engineering has gone into things for sure,....ya' never know. Of course, you're also likely to be able to get another suitable replacement this time around as well.

With all the TV advertising I'm seeing for the GE Wattstations, the HUGE sums of infrastructure money going out for charging stations, etc., I think the chances of the Leaf going the way of the EV1 are about 1%.

The EV1 pretty much stood alone during its time; today is an entirely different story.

I'm not worried at all.
:cool:

This is a ridiculous topic, the Leaf is available for sale, end of story. Just a reminder for those with common sense.

sdbonez said:

But such a warning might be relevant for ANY GM vehicle (if GM do that kind of thing), and not just vehicles which happen to have an electric motor.

In other words, the problem is with the manufacturer, and not with electric vehicles!

evnow said:
This is like the old saying.

Generals always prepare for the last war.
True, but recall there's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.

indyflick said:
...you can't get fooled again.

Exactly. That is why we won't.

Anyway, most of the people who fear EV1 fate to EVs now aren't keeping up with the changed world. The 2008 oil price hike changed everything. This convinced most of the auto/oil industry that the future challenge is finding enough cheap oil supply - not finding enough demand. Add the fact of China being the largest car market (overtaking US) and that it is growing at an alarming rate ...

If EVs fail this time, it will actually because people didn't buy in large enough numbers. Not because auo manufacturers were unwilling to make & sell.

Moving this thread to business forum.

evnow said:
This is like the old saying.

Generals always prepare for the last war.

Bottom line for the folks on both sides... Just because someone did in the past doesn't mean they will today or tomorrow...but it doesn't mean they won't, either.

In my twisted little GM-family mind, GM continues to provide enough indicators that point to their true focus and it sure isn't EVs.

Let's use common sense. If you Lease a Leaf and the contract says you have the option to buy at the end you do. If Nissan were to take all the cars back "just because" they would likely kill their business for good. Nissan is selling cars, they can't take them back. Nissan is investing unprecedented money in this, it's not a ploy. If you think Nissan will ever take any cars back without a refund or replacement for good reason then you are paranoid beyond belief or have no business sense at all. We really have some threads here that offer nothing more than useless dialog on non-issues and topics that common sense can answer so people can hear themselves talk.

NO. Too many diverse players in the game this time. Plus, it turns out there are 1.3 billion EV enthusiasts on the other side of the planet :!:

I'm absolutely certain EVs will be crushed again. Yep the 2011 LEAFs will begin to be crushed in 2036 with 300K miles on them!

Back