User avatar
mwalsh
Posts: 9644
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:10 am
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: 2013 Leaf - Dead 12-Volt Battery every 2 Weeks

Thu May 30, 2013 10:25 am

davewill wrote:
Phatcat73 wrote:Interesting anomaly occurred the other day- I parked, shut off the car, opened the door and heard the door ajar chime. I looked at the dash and the nav screen and they were black, suggesting the car was powered off. ...
The usual reason this happens t me is because of clicking the door handle just a tiny bit before hitting the power button. I never had it cause a dead battery, though.
Interesting. I sometimes open the door and then power down. Perhaps that's not such a good idea? Although that's exactly what I did last night (was listening to the tail end of a piece of music) and I didn't see this issue occur.
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 83,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

User avatar
davewill
Posts: 5077
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, US

Re: 2013 Leaf - Dead 12-Volt Battery every 2 Weeks

Thu May 30, 2013 11:52 am

mwalsh wrote:Interesting. I sometimes open the door and then power down. Perhaps that's not such a good idea? Although that's exactly what I did last night (was listening to the tail end of a piece of music) and I didn't see this issue occur.
It was one of the updates that added a very annoying chime if you opened the door when the car was still on.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

leafowner
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:01 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 401769

Re: 2013 Leaf - Dead 12-Volt Battery every 2 Weeks

Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:09 pm

Happened to me after one week. My hypothesis is that CARWINGS communication is draining the 12V battery because it happened at the night after I enabled CARWINGS, and where I leave the car cellular reception is terrible for all providers and usually drains mobile phones batteries within hours even without using them. I've disabled CARWINGS and will monitor.

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10642
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: 2013 Leaf - Dead 12-Volt Battery every 2 Weeks

Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:02 pm

Carwings basically uses SMS functionality and the lack of coverage will not appreciably affect its power draw. It only transmits when it has something to say, unlike regular cell service. Thus, I seriously doubt Carwings is your problem.
leafowner wrote:Happened to me after one week. My hypothesis is that CARWINGS communication is draining the 12V battery because it happened at the night after I enabled CARWINGS, and where I leave the car cellular reception is terrible for all providers and usually drains mobile phones batteries within hours even without using them. I've disabled CARWINGS and will monitor.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

leafowner
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:01 pm
Delivery Date: 09 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 401769

Re: 2013 Leaf - Dead 12-Volt Battery every 2 Weeks

Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:15 pm

TomT wrote:Carwings basically uses SMS functionality and the lack of coverage will not appreciably affect its power draw. It only transmits when it has something to say, unlike regular cell service. Thus, I seriously doubt Carwings is your problem.
I will try and explain better; just registering with cellular towers here is draining cellular phones batteries, even without sending or receiving anything. I was trying to solve the same problem for my phone only to realize that weak signal from several towers is causing the phone to "jump" from tower to tower and draining batteries while *attempting* to register. As for the leaf, so far so good, there is no drain on the battery. I will monitor for few days and then re-enable CARWINGS to recreate the problem.

Rgiron
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 8:26 am
Delivery Date: 28 May 2013

Re: 2013 Leaf - Dead 12-Volt Battery every 2 Weeks

Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:11 pm

I have the same issue, although the L2 says it's charged to 100%, the 12v is dead. I bought my car late March and it's been in the shop for 1 month now. The dealer couldn't figured out the problem so they called the engineering department in Smyrna, TN. They said they will change the OBC, supposed to arrive last Thu, well, now they say it is back ordered and there is no ETA, they gave me a 2010 Sentra in the meantime, but I can't wait forever.
I am an engineer, I know what the problem is and why the battery will die again. There are three simple solutions to this problem:
1) Replace all the lights including headlights to LED.
2) Add the solar panel.
3) Use a deep cycle battery, it will be better if they replace it with 2 6V 4D batteries. This will be the cheapest solution.

User avatar
planet4ever
Posts: 4674
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:53 pm
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537
Location: Morgan Hill, CA, south of San Jose

Re: 2013 Leaf - Dead 12-Volt Battery every 2 Weeks

Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:58 pm

Rgiron wrote:I am an engineer, I know what the problem is and why the battery will die again. There are three simple solutions to this problem:
1) Replace all the lights including headlights to LED.
2) Add the solar panel.
3) Use a deep cycle battery, it will be better if they replace it with 2 6V 4D batteries. This will be the cheapest solution.
You may be an engineer, but none of those are "solutions" to the problem. The first two would have negligible effect. The third might well mask the problem, but it wouldn't solve it.

Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10642
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: 2013 Leaf - Dead 12-Volt Battery every 2 Weeks

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:13 pm

I hope that, like EVNOW, he just has a bizarre sense of humor... :roll:
'
planet4ever wrote:
Rgiron wrote:I am an engineer, I know what the problem is and why the battery will die again. There are three simple solutions to this problem:
1) Replace all the lights including headlights to LED.
2) Add the solar panel.
3) Use a deep cycle battery, it will be better if they replace it with 2 6V 4D batteries. This will be the cheapest solution.
You may be an engineer, but none of those are "solutions" to the problem. The first two would have negligible effect. The third might well mask the problem, but it wouldn't solve it.
Leaf SL 2011 to 2016, Volt Premier 2016 to 2019, and now:
2019 Model 3; LR, RWD, FSD, 19" Sport Wheels, silver/black; built 3/17/19, delivered 3/29/19.

KillaWhat
Posts: 866
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:15 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Mar 2012
Location: Southeast Pennsylvania

Re: 2013 Leaf - Dead 12-Volt Battery every 2 Weeks

Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:13 pm

Rgiron wrote:I have the same issue, although the L2 says it's charged to 100%, the 12v is dead. I bought my car late March and it's been in the shop for 1 month now. The dealer couldn't figured out the problem so they called the engineering department in Smyrna, TN. They said they will change the OBC, supposed to arrive last Thu, well, now they say it is back ordered and there is no ETA, they gave me a 2010 Sentra in the meantime, but I can't wait forever.
I am an engineer, I know what the problem is and why the battery will die again. There are three simple solutions to this problem:
1) Replace all the lights including headlights to LED.
2) Add the solar panel.
3) Use a deep cycle battery, it will be better if they replace it with 2 6V 4D batteries. This will be the cheapest solution.
Those are not solutions at all.
If my "new" 2013 car were in the shop for a month, I think I'd be demanding a new car!
(and at least a "Z" car loaner, not some 2 year old POS Sentra.

I've had my car for over year.
I've abused the 12VDC system, left the lights on, left the door open all night, hooked up an 8 amp inverter and run it for 12 hours, and left town for 3 weeks on a whim just to name a few.
What I have NEVER done, is discover a dead leaf.. Ever.

You need a New "new" car dude.
Lemon law them.
Black SL Delivered 3/14/2012
7.2Kw Charging w/Brusa
Leather Interior
Rosewood Dash
JUKE 17" Wheel Upgrade w/225-45-17 Michelin MXM4 Tires
Horn Upgrade
Infinity 63.9i Speaker Upgrade
WattsLeft Meter System
LED High Beams
Carkit NAV Override

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 14149
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: 2013 Leaf - Dead 12-Volt Battery every 2 Weeks

Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:02 am

leafowner wrote:
TomT wrote:Carwings basically uses SMS functionality and the lack of coverage will not appreciably affect its power draw. It only transmits when it has something to say, unlike regular cell service. Thus, I seriously doubt Carwings is your problem.
I will try and explain better; just registering with cellular towers here is draining cellular phones batteries, even without sending or receiving anything. I was trying to solve the same problem for my phone only to realize that weak signal from several towers is causing the phone to "jump" from tower to tower and draining batteries while *attempting* to register. As for the leaf, so far so good, there is no drain on the battery. I will monitor for few days and then re-enable CARWINGS to recreate the problem.
Carwings will use more power along with the car itself if its plugged in, has timers enabled, etc. Also, a poor cellular signal will kill a battery faster than any other draw. Any device with cellular access must poll the network on a regular basis. it cannot just lie dormant.

despite my battery hovering in the 12.2-12.4 volt range, i have never had battery issues but have never set a timer of any kind on the car. i think that has been my savior
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 15,000 miles, 478 GIDs, 37.0 kwh 109.81 Ahr , SOH 94.61, Hx 120.15
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”