EVSE Safety

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SecondTime

Does someone know if the EVSE will stop delivering power to the Leaf if the power inverter on the Leaf goes bad?

Had a problem with the EV1
See: http://www.ka9q.net/ev/ev1fire.html
and just want to make sure it won't happen again. Thanks.

smkettner said:
I might be wrong but the charger and inverter are probably separate items that work independently
Yes that is as I understand it as well. Maybe the OP meant to ask if the EVSE shuts off in the event the on-board charger goes bad? And my guess is that it probably would.

I don't think the purpose of the EVSE is to prevent problems if the EV or on-board charger malfunctions. At the other end of the spectrum, however are those who don't understand why a traditional NEMA dryer or range outlet is not a suitable standard for EV recharging.

What does an EVSE do?

1. It automatically enforces the recommended practice of de-energizing the power before the current carrying contacts break. With NEMA type RV outlets this must be done manually.
2. It contains a GFCI circuit to shut off power if unsafe ground leakage occurs. Most dryer and range outlets don't have GFCI protection; it is starting to become more common on RV outlets.
3. It generates a pilot signal to automatically tell the EV charger how much current it can draw without tripping the breaker. This allows a flexible, universal connector which will work in many situations, If the car used a NEMA plug, there would be no automatic way to adjust the charge rate to the circuit capacity.
4. It prevents the EV from back-feeding into the power panel. Eventually, this will change when V2G becomes a reality, but until those safety standards are set, the EVSE is a gatekeeper which prevents it.

Back