Sunroof!! Finally!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also found that if you take care of the rubber surround it seals very well for a long time. I've used Armor-All on the seals and that's helped keep them from dry rotting.

PatricioEV said:
If you take care of them (particularly cleaning the drain tubes), there's no reason you should have problems down the road.

On my Saturn it only leaked on my twice in the 200k miles and 13 years that I've owned it. Both times the drain tube popped off and I had to put it back on. Two separate tubes... two zip ties later... no problems. I went ahead and did the last two the second time.

I've got my 2013 Leaf scheduled to have one installed next week. having a sun roof was one of my criteria for a new car, not many electric cars with that option. having the vent open on a hot Utah day will be welcome.

Unosaxum said:
I've got my 2013 Leaf scheduled to have one installed next week. having a sun roof was one of my criteria for a new car, not many electric cars with that option. having the vent open on a hot Utah day will be welcome.

Nice. Which roof, how much and where, if you don't mind me asking? Post some pics when they're done.

I called Autosunroof.com in Hackensack NJ and Luis told me that Rick is the boss and that he gave me a really low price on the 5300. $1050 installed plus tax.

Luis said that he charges $995 installed for the 4300

The 5300 was out of stock. He said it's a Hot item. So he said by Tuesday he should have some and he needs my car 36 hours.

Can't wait. Next week is my birthday. Perfect gift to myself :)

That looks so cool. I should have insisted on a sunroof installed in my new 2013 Cayenne Red SL. I'll know next time. I really miss having a sunroof. :x

PatricioEV said:
ILETRIC said:
Use Photobucket.

It supplies the link with img's imbedded on both ends for each individual pic. Copy at Photobucket, paste here and you're done.

thanks, works just fine with photobucket!!

2012LeafSL.jpg

Why wait till next time? I won't buy my next car for at least 7 years I'm not waiting till next time. My 2013 is 6 weeks old and I'm getting it now.

kikbuti said:
That looks so cool. I should have insisted on a sunroof installed in my new 2013 Cayenne Red SL. I'll know next time. I really miss having a sunroof. :x

oxo said:
Unosaxum said:

Nice. Which roof, how much and where, if you don't mind me asking? Post some pics when they're done.

getting the Webasto TVS 930, installed by a company here in Salt Lake City, UT called Auto Trim Design.
http://atdutah.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pictures coming next week.

I wanted the TVS 930 but the installer I'm using said they had problems with it. I found out today that the problem was noise, they said many of their customers complained it made a lot of air noises while driving. And so they decided to stop using it.

I really like the way it looks, oh Well. I don't want to force them to install it and take the risk. These people have installed 400K sunroofs since 1977. So I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing.

How much are they charing you to install the TVS 930?

Unosaxum said:
getting the Webasto TVS 930, installed by a company here in Salt Lake City, UT called Auto Trim Design.

I'd urge both of you to request the Solaire 4300. I have done *many* aftermarket sunroofs and every one of the other models being considered or installed have potential issues. ASC has been doing this for longer than just about everyone in the entire country.

I'm getting the 5300, it's exactly the same as the 4300 but with more power options. Memory locations and full auto mode. But the glass, size, mechanics are all exactly the same as the 4300.

oxo said:
I'd urge both of you to request the Solaire 4300. I have done *many* aftermarket sunroofs and every one of the other models being considered or installed have potential issues. ASC has been doing this for longer than just about everyone in the entire country.

Lasareath said:
I'm getting the 5300, it's exactly the same as the 4300 but with more power options. Memory locations and full auto mode. But the glass, size, mechanics are all exactly the same as the 4300.

oxo said:

Yep, with more potential issues with the control module.

Yep. But then it'll match everything it my car. I didn't buy an SV. I got the SL. I don't want the pop-up manual sunroof. I want the one with the most frills. Thanks.

oxo said:
Lasareath said:

oxo said:

Yep, with more potential issues with the control module.

Lasareath said:
Yep. But then it'll match everything it my car. I didn't buy an SV. I got the SL. I don't want the pop-up manual sunroof. I want the one with the most frills. Thanks.

Just for the record it's not a pop up manual. It's a completely electric sliding sunroof just like what you are getting. The control switch probably looks exactly the same too. It's gonna match exactly the same inside, the only difference is what the switch can do.

Lasareath said:
I wanted the TVS 930 but the installer I'm using said they had problems with it. I found out today that the problem was noise, they said many of their customers complained it made a lot of air noises while driving. And so they decided to stop using it.

I really like the way it looks, oh Well. I don't want to force them to install it and take the risk. These people have installed 400K sunroofs since 1977. So I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing.

How much are they charing you to install the TVS 930?

Unosaxum said:

I have to say that after a year of having this sunroof over a year now, it is VERY quiet. That large front piece of glass vents up and pushes almost all the air over the opening. It is the quietest sunroof I've ever had.

I posted on Facebook that I'm getting a sunroof installed and one person said that the roof wasn't engineered for it so you'll loose torsional rigidity.

Is this True or BS?

That is likely technically true if you were to measure it on a torsional rigidity measuring device but I seriously doubt it is going to make any difference in the real world. It's not like you are chopping the top off to make a convertible...hmm that would be nice though. Or to put it another way, I don't think there is anything that has been engineered-out of the car that would make it too weak to accommodate a sunroof.

I understand it's not a Manual Pop-up unit, I was exaggerating. But you are correct, There are only a couple of differences; One is that the 5300 has a one touch open feature and Two it will close automatically when you turn the Car's power off. On the 4300 you have to hold down the switch for the duration of opening and closing.

The price difference from my installer was $55.00, For $55.00 I'll get the 5300.

oxo said:
Lasareath said:

Just for the record it's not a pop up manual. It's a completely electric sliding sunroof just like what you are getting. The control switch probably looks exactly the same too. It's gonna match exactly the same inside, the only difference is what the switch can do.

I really like the Webasto TVS 930, I've been calling around with no Luck, either the places don't install the TVS 930 or they don't install Webasto anymore.

So I just emailed Webasto customer support and they replied with a forward to another employee asking him to send me info on who to use in my area to install a TVS 930. They replied in minutes! Like that very much!

So the search continues, I'll let you all know what happens.

.............4 minutes later.....

Well I just got a call from Joe Hinkle at Webasto and he told me two places near me that should be doing the 930.

So I will Call now.

PatricioEV said:
I have to say that after a year of having this sunroof over a year now, it is VERY quiet. That large front piece of glass vents up and pushes almost all the air over the opening. It is the quietest sunroof I've ever had.

Ok Well one place has not done sunroofs for 6 months and the other place just told me there's a recall on the 930 & 935. That they won't install them until Webasto comes out with replacement models.

Back