HOW TO: Daytime Running Lights (DRL) installed for $35

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
darandon said:
One last thing to ask... Is the 80lumien intensity strong enough to pass a DRL test? I cant see how bright they are from the first images you have because you have all the other lights on and you have the pics taken head on, but if they are bright enough to pass DRL test and be bright enough for others to see i have no problems in going with them here.
I can't answer that since DRLs aren't mandatory here. But they are sold and labeled as DRLs, so I imagine so...

So, I'm assuming Ingineer's mod is still too complicated? I don't understand why Nissan refuses to put DRLs on their US cars, considering how loaded with tech the LEAF already is.

Has anyone else implemented Leafboy's solution, and taken pics?

While I love the OP's solution (and probably will go that route if I can find aftermarket units which have the LEDs very close to each other), I prefer Ingineer's approach, but really like Leafboy's solution as well.

Does anyone know what the dimensions are of the foglights/foglight cutouts?

Wondering if these would work better as DRLs, since the OEM foglights are pretty much useless.

Also thinking about getting these DRL strips, look similar to the OP's, located in the US, but much cheaper. Can't find any specs tho, but in the end, they are all made in China.

The holes are 3". I replaced my OEM's with some PIAA LED driving lights after a rock broke one of the glass (!) lenses. They actually work well and add a good bit of extra light! In addition, the lenses are Lexan, so should survive rocks in the future.

pic

pic

It was a pretty easy mod, I re-used the OEM bracket, and simply drilled 2 holes and used some washers as spacers. Used the OEM harness with a couple of 1/8" fastons.

These are always active when the car is on as DRL's.

-Phil

Did you wire them to be always on (but disconnecting them from the fog light wire), or did you modify the Matrix directly (knowing you)? ;) Do you leave them on when your headlights are on at night, or do you dim/turn them off somehow?

Do you happen to have a part # for the PIAA's? The DRLs in my Prius Plug-in where in the same location as the fog lights on the LEAF, and it looked really nice, so would love to replicate that setup. The fogs I linked are 2.8", so am curious about the specs of yours, as they look like a nice fit.

Many questions, but many thanks in advance!

I think these are the ones I have. (Though I got them for less)

One of my first hacks was a DRL mod to the IPDM. It automatically raises the headlights for DRL, and at night they go back down to a lower range (set by the dial). It was a complicated hack, and unfortunately I didn't document it well enough to publish. The fogs (now driving lights) are on in DRL mode. (so day and night)

-Phil

I guess I'll have to stick with making them always-on (assuming whatever bulbs I use aren't blinding at night or I will have to come up with a dimming circuit at night).

Any interest in setting up an IndieGoGo campaign for figuring this out again? I'm sure plenty of us would be willing to contribute, and it would make it worth your while ;)

If you aim them right, they will not be too bright. I don't dim mine.

Sorry, it's not about the money, I simply don't have the time right now. It's on my list though...

-Phil

NP, I understand. I only offered the money angle, since time is money, and we all know you're a busy guy :)

Do you happen to have any behind-the-scenes pics of what the fogs look like mounted?

Planning on finally installing my DRLs this weekend, just wanted to check one more time if either Ingineer or EVDRIVER are interested in sharing how they did their setup (either via a tutorial or selling some add-on)? I'd rather have that setup, but want to install my DRLs soon if that isn't happening ;)

Sorry, my mod was soldering some additional parts (transistors/diodes/resistors) inside the IPDM, and unfortunately I did not document it or take pictures.

-Phil

Is this something you could turn into a module (so it's either plug & play, or keep connecting it as simple as a few wire taps) and offer for sale, if we make it worth your while financially? I know you're a busy guy, but with the 2014's hitting showrooms soon, you would have a large potential customer base.

Hi!

In my European "ACENTA" version, the DRL-s are integrated in the lower side of the FOG lights in the front. But its a normal light, not a LED one, and its on all the time, when the normal light is not on, and the car is running. But its looks sooo lame! Can you imagine an EV with normal lights on the front in the daytime?! Its looks so old fashioned in a futuristic car...not even speak about the waist of electricity! I think it was a huge mistake from Nissan (The hybrid Prius and lots of the other petrol powered cars has a much more modern looked LED lights)
So I would like to replace the for LED. Can anyone offer some solution?

Thanks in advance!

There are tons of aftermarket LED bulb replacements for a variety of bulb types. Check a site like http://www.superbrightleds.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and find one.

Ingineer said:
I too have the LED's in the License plate lamps, Marker Lamps, etc. The biggest difference in "cool" look is the overhead and dome lights inside.
That's awesome. Is there a how-to with part #'s available?

There are extensive threads on here about LEDs for the Leaf going back a couple of years or so... Just do a search for Led lighting...

eAddict said:
Ingineer said:
I too have the LED's in the License plate lamps, Marker Lamps, etc. The biggest difference in "cool" look is the overhead and dome lights inside.
That's awesome. Is there a how-to with part #'s available?

I am replacing my OEM fog lights with some really nice LED fog lights that I intend to use as a DRL. Does anyone have the electrical diagram for this car? I would like to know where the fog light relay is located. Goal is to power the DRLs when the car is in ready to drive mode with the ability to switch them off with the factory stalk-mounted on/off switch.

So I finally got my hands on some nice Philips DRL units, but I can't make up my mind on the positioning of these lights. If I follow the bumper curve, the lights will point slightly outwards, which makes me wonder if that would impact visibility from a distance.

If I tuck them nicely against the black plastic so the point forwards, the top of that bumper space might block some of the light as well.

Would love to see a what everyone ended up doing.

Back