HOW TO: Make the VSP (noisemaker) button default to off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ingineer said:
sorphin said:
Good point.. Why not do it to the components on the other side then? As for not for anti tampering.. i have had chips that they only coated the pins before with a black epoxy (but left the top of the chips uncovered.. that's why that was what i suspected first.. oh well.
It's only applied on dense SMD packages, you'll see it often on QFP, BGA, QFP, etc. Something like SOIC is dense enough, so there is no need. (The problem occurs when the spacing between the pins is very small)

-Phil

True, however if you look at the pic again, 8 pin soics and even the regulator have it.

re: the open source, good to know. sounds like you and i both have been in it for about similar time frames.

you think the micro is sending the data? i don't recall any flash.

There isn't much data. They aren't sending digital sound data, but rather parameters for the Yamaha synth. Probably only a handful of bytes! The micro has internal flash.

Of course, this is not to say that the synth isn't capable of more complex sounds. It can even accept raw PCM data.

The audio system is rather wimpy though, so you aren't going to get much below midrange.

-Phil

Ingineer said:
There isn't much data. They aren't sending digital sound data, but rather parameters for the Yamaha synth. Probably only a handful of bytes! The micro has internal flash.

Of course, this is not to say that the synth isn't capable of more complex sounds. It can even accept raw PCM data.

The audio system is rather wimpy though, so you aren't going to get much below midrange.

-Phil

Makes sense, and yeah, i knew the micro had flash, but the yamaha can have data pushed to it, or read from flash itself.... reminds me of generating tones in the old days on sound cards... I was joking with my fiancee tonight that I know there will be at least -1- (not me) person that will want 'the sound of a big diesel engine (or as close as they can approximate) from their Leaf. *rolls eyes*..

This is on a 2013 SV with Around View. I disabled the reverse beep (don't mind the forward 'spacey' sound.. I did it all under the dash in the glovebox area.. On the relay (85) tied to pin 8 (sky blue) of the Around View Monitor controller. Relay (86) tied to ground (pin 1 black on the AVM). Relay (30) tied to one 1/2 of the yellow wire from pin 8 of the VSP, and Relay (87a) to the other 1/2 of the yellow pin 8 wire on the VSP. That way no harness changes under the hood (other than my driving lights).

sorphin said:
This is on a 2013 SV with Around View. I disabled the reverse beep (don't mind the forward 'spacey' sound.. I did it all under the dash in the glovebox area.. On the relay (85) tied to pin 8 (sky blue) of the Around View Monitor controller. Relay (86) tied to ground (pin 1 black on the AVM). Relay (30) tied to one 1/2 of the yellow wire from pin 8 of the VSP, and Relay (87a) to the other 1/2 of the yellow pin 8 wire on the VSP. That way no harness changes under the hood (other than my driving lights).

I don't have around view. Would this work the same? Would you be willing to break this down a little bit more? Maybe you could record a short video?

gte037p said:
sorphin said:

I don't have around view. Would this work the same? Would you be willing to break this down a little bit more? Maybe you could record a short video?

You don't have to have the "Around View". It was just easier to tap there since it was closer to the VSP. Do you have NAV? There's a reverse wire that goes into the NAV as well that you can tap instead.

Ingineer said:
That "Blue Crap" is not for anti-tamper protection. It is a conformal coating to prevent "Tin Whiskers", galvanic corrosion, and solder joint failure. If they wanted to deter tampering, they'd encapsulate it. There isn't a lot of super-seekrit technology in the VSP!

Outside of the US market, the cancel button is allowed, so it stands to reason that the pin/function will be present.

One of these days when I have nothing better to do, I may reverse-engineer it and figure out how to make new noises. The Yamaha synth chip is very flexible!

Looks like they upgraded it for 2013 from the YMF807 to the YMF827.

-Phil
Always wanted the option to have my plug-in sound like a car from the Jetsons cartoon (with the ability to turn it off of course). Maybe we can make it worth your time (or KickStart it)?

This thread is exactly what I've been looking for! I love my '12 LEAF but at times not having control of that VPS is annoying (like when I'm backing out of the garage at 5:40 in the morning).

Two questions:

1. Is it enough to momentarily short pin 5 in the VPS connector to a chassis ground? It appears pin 1 is ground.

2. I've found that I can order the 2011 MY VPS switch online; what would the wiring look like to get that switch hooked up? Is there another wire required for the LED in that switch? I'd like an install that looks "factory" so doing it "right" would be a plus for me.

A few of the posts in here somewhere (I'll leave it to the reader as an exercise to find it) discuss adding a momentary switch where non currently exists. It's been a while so I don't remember exactly which pins go where, but yes, momentarily grounding the pin is all it takes. As for the OEM switch, I'm not sure which pin is for the LED...

RLC said:
This thread is exactly what I've been looking for! I love my '12 LEAF but at times not having control of that VPS is annoying (like when I'm backing out of the garage at 5:40 in the morning).

Two questions:

1. Is it enough to momentarily short pin 5 in the VPS connector to a chassis ground? It appears pin 1 is ground.

2. I've found that I can order the 2011 MY VPS switch online; what would the wiring look like to get that switch hooked up? Is there another wire required for the LED in that switch? I'd like an install that looks "factory" so doing it "right" would be a plus for me.
Do you mind sharing the source for this switch (assuming it isn't a 1-time auction)? I need (yes need) to do the same mod, for the same reasons. Don't know what Nissan was thinking. With my Prius Plug-in, I could disable the reverse beep via OBDII, but haven't seen anyone mention this on these forums, so guessing the switch is the only option here.

RLC said:

Two questions:

1) Yes
2) They removed the wire harness going all the way behind the dash... so you'd have to fish wires yourself :(

Ingineer said:
Don't blame Nissan for this. Starting in 2012, the VSP was mandatory and they mandated that it must not be able to be switched off.

-Phil
Not yet - EPA (or whichever dept) was asked to study and finalize the rules. I don't think the rules are out yet.

I thought it was mandatory for 2012+, just the type of tone etc wasn't mandatory yet.

That said, I'm mostly interest in turning off my reversing church bells (what my wife likes to call it) since I leaF for work early in the AM, I'm not bothered by the futuristic EV sound at all.

lion said:
Do you mind sharing the source for this switch (assuming it isn't a 1-time auction)? I need (yes need) to do the same mod, for the same reasons. Don't know what Nissan was thinking. With my Prius Plug-in, I could disable the reverse beep via OBDII, but haven't seen anyone mention this on these forums, so guessing the switch is the only option here.

Sure - though I have to warn you the hardware isn't cheap. The best price I've found is at the link below:

http://www.nissanpartsdiscounts.com/oem-part/nissan/leaf/2011/sl/electric/body-hardware/cluster-and-switches/switch/25172-3na0b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The part number is the last section of the URL -- a Google search will turn up other vendors.

I don't mind running my own wires behind the dash, but I'll need to know which pins (in addition to #5) I need to attach the switch to.

Is there a simple way to cut the wire to the VSP speaker. I understand that it would disable charging and other beeps - I am of the opinion the fewer noises the better.

I looked under the hood and couldn't spot the speaker in the vicinity of the left front bumper.

My vehicle is leased, so I would like to reconnect the cut wire when I return the vehicle to Nissan

raja33 said:
Is there a simple way to cut the wire to the VSP speaker. I understand that it would disable charging and other beeps - I am of the opinion the fewer noises the better.

I looked under the hood and couldn't spot the speaker in the vicinity of the left front bumper.

My vehicle is leased, so I would like to reconnect the cut wire when I return the vehicle to Nissan
Just unplug the connector to the VSP. This would be good to do when you are in there to change the cabin filter. It's located over the glovebox housing, and you can access it by removing all the screws and pulling the glovebox housing out.

pic

VSP module is shown in red. Connector is yellow.

-Phil

Back