Use Google Maps to program a destination in your Leaf's Navi

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phatcat73 said:
I find it annoying that you can't stop the Google-Send to Car feed from redownloading every time you turn the car on with the map screen on. This seems to be an issue from the 2011 models and also affects my 2013.
I've read this elsewhere on this thread, but it has never happened to me and I normally start the car with the map screen on. There must be a way to stop that.

loomis2 said:
Has it become possible to send directions from the Google maps phone app yet?

This android app lets you send destinations to your Leaf from Google Maps.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jvanier.android.sendtocar&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDNd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just find your address, choose Share, and choose Send to Car

On Monday I used SendToCar with a restaurant that backs up against the highway.
Hopped in my car and blindly trusted the guidance directions.
Maybe my first hint that something was wrong should have been the directions taking me one exit past the restaurant instead of before, but then I hopped back on the highway going the other direction.
Sure enough when I passed the back of the restaurant with the banner you can barely see over the highway wall, the nav voice said "You have arrived".

SendToCar must be sending coordinates, not an address... sigh.

This is the second time it's let me down. I'm done. We need real google maps integration. Not this hack crap.

Rat said:
Phatcat73 said:
I find it annoying that you can't stop the Google-Send to Car feed from redownloading every time you turn the car on with the map screen on. This seems to be an issue from the 2011 models and also affects my 2013.
I've read this elsewhere on this thread, but it has never happened to me and I normally start the car with the map screen on. There must be a way to stop that.
I came to this thread looking for a way to stop this. This has been happening to me -- not every time I start the car, but most of them. Today it happened 2 of the 4 times I started the car. I've sent 6 addresses from Google Maps in the month that I've had the car, and all 6 showed up each time today.

Pinzgauer said:
Just FYI, these methods no longer appear to work with newer versions of Google maps
Using the NEW Google maps you need to first setup your car in your Google account.

To add your car

• 1. Go to https://www.google.com/maps/sendtocar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
    2. Click Sign in and enter your Google account information. This step may not be necessary if you are already signed into a Google account.
    3. Click Add car or GPS device.
    4. Select your car type from the dropdown menu. For example, “Nissan.”
    5. Type in your CarWings ID in “Account ID” field.
    6. [Optional] Type a name of your car to remember it more easily.
    7. Click OK.

Now that your car is setup you will get a "Send to car" prompt when you type in an address into Google Maps.

It should appear just below the address after you enter the address as shown below.

Screen Shot 2014-08-21 at 8.01.11 PM.png

I am still able to send to car from Google Maps on Chrome, but I still can't on Firefox, which ios the browser I usually use. I just made Google Maps my home page on Chrome and when I want to send to car I just click the Chrome icon on my desktop instead of the bookmark I have on Firefox. It takes only three or four seconds longer.

Is 'send to car' geo restricted? Unable to click "Add Car or GPS Device" on multiple browsers and devices here in Ireland.

They finally fixed the option in the current Google maps, yet it doesn't actually seem to make it to Nissan. At least I can't figure out how to.

-Phil

shabbyroad said:
Is 'send to car' geo restricted? Unable to click "Add Car or GPS Device" on multiple browsers and devices here in Ireland.

Works for me. I had to install the "chrome to phone" plug in for the Chrome browser.

Then install the "send to car" app on your Android ( I don't know what works for Iphone)

Find your destination in Google maps in your Chrome browser then click on send to phone and it will come up on your phone. Then click the menu or slide up the map and a Share map option should come up and then click the "send to car" app and it should then be available in the send to car option in the Leaf Nav unit.

Check the route first because I've seen it set the wrong destination.

Another way that works is just to use your phone directly in Google maps. Find the destination and then slide the screen from the bottom up and you should see an option to share.

It's a crying shame it won't send the route to the car only the destination and then the Leaf nav unit calculated the route which is pretty crap.

It's a shame the Leaf didn't have Google maps because Goggle maps is fantastic and the Leaf's nav is crap.

I have once again been able to download a new destination from the Google maps "send to car" feature. I don't know whether the problem was with Google or Nissan, but it seems to be working again. I used Firefox. This is important for several reasons. Google maps works better at some things than the in car search function. Intersections, for example, are always found in Google Maps, but the Leaf is terrible at finding those. It only has major intersections in its database. If you have directions to meet at the corner of Obscure Court and Obscure Lane, the Leaf isn't going to find it, especially if you don't know which city that's in (around here they all blend together). You can use coordinates in Google Maps, but not in the Leaf. Once it's found in Google Maps, though, the Leaf can accept the location.

Like Rat, I too have just been able to send a destination from Google maps to my LEAF. I used Safari on my MacBookPro and it seemed to process just fine. I'll find out tomorrow when I take the LEAF out.

Now with the move from CARWINGS to NissanConnect EV, I can confirm that I am able to use the Send to Car feature on Google Maps and download it in my Leaf.

mspisars said:
Now with the move from CARWINGS to NissanConnect EV, I can confirm that I am able to use the Send to Car feature on Google Maps and download it in my Leaf.
Did you have to change the username that google uses to send to or does it send to the e-mail? I can't seem to get mine to work with either my old username or the new e-mail login that the EV connect uses now.

Back