Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FairwoodRed said:
I'm testing a new version of the 12 volt accessory mod. It does look like it is now properly turning off as the LED's on the adapter extinguish and LEAFbatt says that it is waiting on ELM.

But I'm also running into a problem. Whenever LEAFbatt says "waiting on ELM", and I try to exit, it freezes. After a while an error screen will pop up telling me that "Activity Leaf Battery (in application Leaf Battery) is not responding". I have the option to wait or force close, both of which work. I can also successfully use the home button, then go to app manager and force stop the program. By the way, when LEAFbatt says "connected" it exits the app speedily.

Is this an expected behavior at this point? Is this something slated for future improvement?
No it should not work that way. But now you will need to send me one of your modified ELMs so I can see what is going on.

Turbo3 said:
FairwoodRed said:
I'm testing a new version of the 12 volt accessory mod. It does look like it is now properly turning off as the LED's on the adapter extinguish and LEAFbatt says that it is waiting on ELM.

But I'm also running into a problem. Whenever LEAFbatt says "waiting on ELM", and I try to exit, it freezes. After a while an error screen will pop up telling me that "Activity Leaf Battery (in application Leaf Battery) is not responding". I have the option to wait or force close, both of which work. I can also successfully use the home button, then go to app manager and force stop the program. By the way, when LEAFbatt says "connected" it exits the app speedily.

Is this an expected behavior at this point? Is this something slated for future improvement?
No it should not work that way. But now you will need to send me one of your modified ELMs so I can see what is going on.

I can replicate it here at my desk, without any ELM. I'm using a Galaxy SII by the way. I have your email, so I'll email you to get a shippiing address and send you one regardless of what you find.

FairwoodRed said:
Turbo3 said:
FairwoodRed said:

I can replicate it here at my desk, without any ELM. I'm using a Galaxy SII by the way. I have your email, so I'll email you to get a shippiing address and send you one regardless of what you find.
Actually I already PM'd you my address.

Do you have BT on or off before you start the app?

Anyone else having the same problem and if so what phone are you using?

If you have not tried, start the app and exit with no ELM around and report if your phone shows the same problem.

Generally, I keep BT off and let the app turn it off and on. I just tried it both ways and it was faster if BT was already on, but both worked and did not hang. Maybe there is something that the modified ELM is putting into memory… I’ll keep trying it tonight and see how it goes. Also, I did power cycle the phone first thing this morning.

Just made an interesting observation...

If I do quick charging, the capacity jumps up almost 3% the moment QC delivers current (when I hear relays clicking). It stays elevated until I try charge next time...

Any idea why is that?

I have gotten this problem twice on 0.25. Didn't note the details. I use the same equipment as tbleakne. Will post if it recurs.

Like to add my thanks for providing a fabulous app! I am amazed at how fast and effectively it was constructed and continually modified. Also admire your patience in handling the deluge of requests.

Turbo3 said:
How many other people are getting Java errors and not reporting them?

Just got my Samsung Galaxy S (TMobile) droid v 2.2.1 working with the

AGPtek® Super Mini ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth OBD2 OBD-II CAN-BUS Auto Diagnostic Scanner Tool
(ELM device listed 2nd on the Wiki page)

Works right off the bat, paired using 1234 code.

Big shout out for all who made this so successful as it is! Thank-you.

So I found out my CAPacity is 80.62% (AHr=53.42). I'm in SoCal, Orange County. Lost a capacity bar about 2-3 mos ago. I have a June 2011 LEAF, 21k miles, so two summers in Tustin, CA garage, half-and-half 80% and 100% charge daily until recently. Now charging only to 100% once a week, 80% all other days daily.

I'm a little confused by what the shunts (red) are showing... I've got a couple of dozen of them on my display most of the time and they also seem to move around a lot...

Also, what does the shunt order mean?

Thanks!

2zdvv2x.png

Hi All,

My lovely wife left me with 2 bars on the LEAF before we went to a friends house (8km return) and then I was left with 1 bar to go to the gym (14km return) and then shopping (9km return). I can honestly say I would have been confident about making it without the LEAF app but it was GREAT to actually see the REAL battery percentage and estimated km after the car gave up guessing. This photo is just as I got home after a VLB (Very Low Battery) warning. I still had not hit turtle but the cell voltage spread was up to 35mv, I've never seen it so high. My battery capacity is still reading 101.53% after 13,495km. My LEAF VIN shows it was built in December 2010 in Oppama. I bought it in Sep, 2012 in Canberra, Australia.

9153719859_1e4aa328fd_c.jpg

I'm happy to report a successful pairing with my OBDII device and a Samsung Galaxy phone (sorry I don't have the specs on both, I'm not with the car or phone right now). Thanks to Turbo3 and everyone else who have worked to perfect this, I think by far this is the best method of gathering data from our cars inexpensively, and I appreciate the effort from everyone on the forum.
I would be happy to participate in any data gathering project that is underway (it sounds like the easiest way to do this would be an opt-in "send data" option on the next version of the Android app, and then we all agree to send on particular trips or days).
I eagerly await the EV Can mod on the app (which I know requires a physical mod, too).

Best,
Josh

Turbo3 said:
Version 0.25b(FS) is up for testing.

Per GregH's request I have added the new Health value.

0baf.png

Thanks Jim..
Jim and I have also been looking at the temperature data from the car trying to get our software (for both LeafDD and the ELM Leaf battery app) to be as accurate as possible. The car reports only the raw thermistor value from the A/D which is a non-linear log scale, and it's own calculation of the temperature in whole degrees C. Since we'd like to provide more precision than just 1.0C or 1.8F, we look at the raw thermistor A/D value and try to calculate it ourselves. It seems the car is not using a look up table but rather a few linear approximations. All of the raw data recorded thusfar is documented in the "Active CAN sampling" thread. The existing (but soon to be updated) version of the Leaf battery app uses the following equation:
TempF = 162-(raw*0.181)
This works well in the mid range but as the temperature rises the thermistor values get closer and closer.
Based on the correct data observed so far, here is a simple conversion table for temperatures mentioned on MNL using the older battery app software..

Actual temp C, raw A/D, battery app reports (F), actual temp (F)
15.0C 569 59.0F 59.0F
20.0C 517 68.4F 68.0F
25.0C 467 77.5F 77.0F
30.0C 419 86.2F 86.0F
35.0C 374 94.3F 95.0F
40.0C 333 101.7F 104.0F
45.0C 293 109.0F 113.0F

Turbo3 said:

0baf.png

how to we get
new Health value? so we need to download the app again?

thanks for doing all of this. it has been wonderful to monitor the car. still at 61 AHr but looks like we have full use of 21.5 kWH. drove 68 miles after full charge and had 24 miles left on the car

jguenst said:
Turbo3 said:

0baf.png

how to we get
new Health value? so we need to download the app again?

thanks for doing all of this. it has been wonderful to monitor the car. still at 61 AHr but looks like we have full use of 21.5 kWH. drove 68 miles after full charge and had 24 miles left on the car
This is a Beta test app. Go to bottom of settings panel and select "Look for Beta Version".

You will need to email me at [email protected] if you don't already have the passcode.

Re: app not exiting in a timely fashion.

While driving around this weekend (350+ miles) I used an unmodified ELM327. The app would start and stop readily every time, even on my morning commute today. After I got to work, I tried it again with no ELM327 nearby and the first time it worked fine, but the second time it hung. The first time I had the app open for about 3 seconds before I exited and the second time I had it open for about 10 seconds ( I noticed that “waiting for ELM” flashed red briefly). Third time, I waited 15 seconds and it also exited (but it had two red flashes and the second was much shorter). I tried a dozen more times at various time delays and it hung every time. On these later attempts, I stopped seeing the red flash.

Next, I’ll try to see if my installation of the app was the problem. I plan to clear my application data, uninstall the program, reset my Galaxy S2 to factory defaults, sideload v0.25, and try again.

By the way, Turbo3 says that his program data was 12kb, mine is only 8kb. Anyone know if that is normal?

Question for the Samsung Galaxy S4 users out there...

What ELM327 adapter have you gotten to work? I tried the Vgate one and I only get as far as "Waiting 4 Leaf data". It never goes any further than that.

^^^ Have you tried cycling the phone after making sure the LEAF is powered up ? ( I assume your Galaxy is paired with the ELM ... are there any LED's on the EML showing activity ? If the LEAF is powered OFF, but you have the app (and BT) running ... is there a relay-like clicking noise from near the front right headlight of the LEAF ? )

Both the Vgate and BAFX pair properly. Both show they have power. I turned the LEAF on and even drove around a bit with the adapter plugged in and the LEAF app on. With the BAFX, no other LEDs light up except for the red, power LED (it's the one that the LEAF app responds with "waiting for ELM"). On the Vgate, one of the green LED light flashes with a slow pulse when the LEAF app is running, but none of the other LEDs light up (it's the one the LEAF app responds with "waiting 4 Leaf data").

I plugged the BAFX into a friends Porsche and fired up Torque and it worked perfectly. Most of the green data LEDs were flashing as if data was being actively transmitted from the adapter to the Galaxy. So, I know the BAFX adapter works, the bluetooth connection works and the Torque app on the Galaxy works.

For the LEAF, it just appears as if it's not transmitting any data.

One thing I'm going to try in a bit is to see if I can attach the BAFX to the LEAF and run Torque. I don't know how many of the LEAF codes Torque will understand, but I can at least see if another app can inspire the LEAF to transmit data.

Update: Unlike the LEAF battery app, Torque inspired the BAFX data transfer LEDs to blink, but Torque indicates it is not able to talk to the vehicle ECU. From reading other posts, it looks like Torque doesn't understand what the ECU is transmitting, but it, at least, got the BAFX LEDs to blink.

Back