Any Leafs delivered to Georgia yet?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scubayachts said:
Hey Everybody,
I am looking to lease either a SV or SL. Stopped by Capitol City Nissan the other day to check out the leaf for the first time!

I would appreciate any feedback on what your lease terms where. Are you guys getting the same SV/ SL lease deals as other parts of the country? Please list the dealer you used and your terms!

Thanks everybody with the help!

Gregg

Got this from Capitol (After gwinnett lady gave me crappy offer)

24 mo, 15k
Blue SV (Upgraded with LED kit and Quickcharge port)

$1034 down, $279 x 23mo (including taxes)

Total $7451...

Subtract the 5k from GA and you do the math.

I've been spending $200 a month on gas lol.

scubayachts said:
Hey Everybody,
I am looking to lease either a SV or SL. Stopped by Capitol City Nissan the other day to check out the leaf for the first time!

I would appreciate any feedback on what your lease terms where. Are you guys getting the same SV/ SL lease deals as other parts of the country? Please list the dealer you used and your terms!

Gregg

I leased mine 2 weeks ago from Regal Nissan. I paid $313/pm 24 months $0 down 12K miles. The salesman was very good Rory Hotchkiss (404 917 7053). That's his cell number. I got VPP pricing (http://www.insidenissan.com/monthly_plans.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) because the company I work for is in Nissan's list of companies they offer special pricing. I'm loving it so far.

os2baba said:
scubayachts said:
Hey Everybody,

Gregg

I leased mine 2 weeks ago from Regal Nissan. I paid $313/pm 24 months $0 down 12K miles. The salesman was very good Rory Hotchkiss (404 917 7053). That's his cell number. I got VPP pricing (http://www.insidenissan.com/monthly_plans.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) because the company I work for is in Nissan's list of companies they offer special pricing. I'm loving it so far.

I thought they were leasing for $199 a month for 24 months, 15K miles per year and no money down??

greengate said:
os2baba said:
scubayachts said:
Hey Everybody,

Gregg

I thought they were leasing for $199 a month for 24 months, 15K miles per year and no money down??

I think those were the prices back in February. The lowest price was the S for $203 with you having to pay the taxes. I got the SV with the LED/QC package. I shopped around. Couldn't find a better price when I bought it. But prices change every month. This month, it may go up or down.

I'm just getting to the party here... Been perusing the forums a lot the past couple days as I'm heavily considering the lease of a LEAF. Even with all the reading and research I've done, I still have a couple questions that maybe some of you could help answer.

1) How does the new TAVT work with the lease of a LEAF? From what I read, the leasing company would pay and then the lease payments should be exempt from sales tax. Is this the case? Or does the dealer pass on a portion of that 6.5% to you when buying?

2) With the Georgia tax credit, is there any way that works retroactively? Like I could get money Back paid this past April (for 2012), or will I just see the credit next year when I do my state taxes?

3) Also regarding the tax credit - I know that it is 20% of the capitalized cost. Is this the gross capitalized cost (BEFORE the federal $7500 tax credit) or the net capitalized cost (AFTER credit applied). I'm guessing it is gross but just want to make sure.

4) Last and most important. How practical is a LEAF for me? I live in Kennesaw and commute about 50-60 miles per day - and with my commuter car I drive less than 12k miles per year. Will I have range anxiety? I do sit in rush hour traffic often, and it seems like that kind of traffic doesn't hurt range at all from what I've read.

ericbdavies said:
I'm just getting to the party here... Been perusing the forums a lot the past couple days as I'm heavily considering the lease of a LEAF. Even with all the reading and research I've done, I still have a couple questions that maybe some of you could help answer.

1) How does the new TAVT work with the lease of a LEAF? From what I read, the leasing company would pay and then the lease payments should be exempt from sales tax. Is this the case? Or does the dealer pass on a portion of that 6.5% to you when buying?

2) With the Georgia tax credit, is there any way that works retroactively? Like I could get money Back paid this past April (for 2012), or will I just see the credit next year when I do my state taxes?

3) Also regarding the tax credit - I know that it is 20% of the capitalized cost. Is this the gross capitalized cost (BEFORE the federal $7500 tax credit) or the net capitalized cost (AFTER credit applied). I'm guessing it is gross but just want to make sure.

4) Last and most important. How practical is a LEAF for me? I live in Kennesaw and commute about 50-60 miles per day - and with my commuter car I drive less than 12k miles per year. Will I have range anxiety? I do sit in rush hour traffic often, and it seems like that kind of traffic doesn't hurt range at all from what I've read.

Not from GA, I can't comment on the taxes when one leases. Seems all states are different.

Your commuting distance of 50 to 60 miles a day, (round trip,) would be no problem. Figure 4-5 miles per hour of charge on 110 and 16 or so miles per hour on 220 with the 6K charger...in which case you would need an 220 EVSE at home for the 220 system or an upgraded unit that comes with the car. If you could charge at work, that would be great..even on 110.

I drive less per day so charge at home on the 110 that came with the car and where I live there are several free places to charge on 220.

Hope this helps.

(Really a great car, BTW!!)

ericbdavies said:

I don't know the exact percentage of the TAVT, but you have to pay it. Either as part of the lease or up front.

ericbdavies said:

You can check with your accountant. But I don't see how you could possibly be able to collect a credit on something that you hadn't purchased in 2011 for taxes you paid in April for 2011.

ericbdavies said:

I haven't checked whether it's gross or net. I'd guess net. But the SV lists for $34,000, so even after $7500, it's more than the $25,000 that would be required for the $5000 tax credit. I think I have seen other posts on this forum with details on how that works.

ericbdavies said:

You will need a L2 charger at home or the EVSE Upgrade. The leaf takes 16-20 hours to charge the car from empty. With 60 miles, you will likely not have enough time to fully charge the vehicle for the next day - unless you can charge it at work. With 220V and the SV model (6.6 kW charge), you should be able to charge the car in 4 hours. Remember that you will get slightly less mileage on highways than in city traffic. But 60 miles should be fine.

I give myself about 30 miles one way from home so that I have 30 miles to get back leaving about 10-15 miles as a buffer for missing a turn or something. I just got my leaf about a month ago and haven't pushed it to the mileage limit yet. But 30 miles should be able to get you to most parts of Atlanta and back.

ericbdavies said:

Hi -
As for #1, I'm not certain myself. I just received my tag renewal, and it's still not clear. I'd check the DMV Web site or call you county tax commissioner. I am grandfathered in since I leased last year. When the law was first written, I believe folks who leased were getting doubly screwed (monthly tax AND the tax on the capitalized cost of the car). However, I had heard the legislature was going to fix it. Perhaps the dealer would know? But I'd make sure I knew BEFORE I leased one going forward.

For #2, the tax doesn't work retro. However, one poster did effectively make that happen by upping his withholding allowance on his w4 (is that the right form) to effectively give himself the 5K rebate in advance. Then next year, he puts the withholding number back down to normal. Note: I'm not giving tax advice here...just saying what I read one other person did. If it were me, I'd just wait until next year to get the credit and treat it as a bonus (and stick it in the bank).

for #3, as I read the GA tax info on that, it says "the lessor of 20% of the vehicle cost or $5,000 tax credit...for purchase or lease..." So I would read that as gross capitalized cost (i.e., the MSRP of the car). I know I was safe either way since mine was over $25K even with the capitalized cost reduction. Figure also that with the S models have a drive out price of $16K that takes into account BOTH the Fed and State of GA tax credit, that MUST be how it's calculated. Again, you might want to verify with the authorities, but I think you'd be good.

#4: If that mileage is total round trip, I think you're golden. Does that include any "let's run out at lunch" trips? If so, then you might even be able to get by with an 80% charge, but I would go to 100% daily until I knew I could get by on the 80%. As the other poster noted, the ability to charge just a little during the day would give you peace of mind.

Know that the car does "burn" more battery at highway speeds, but if you're stuck in traffic, it does much better. Maybe you can get Nissan to loan you one for a day so you can take it home and drive it to work and back to see how it does at highway speeds. Know that in the winter, if you use the heater, you'll really impact range (but you could always "pre warm" the car at home while it's plugged in).

Update on the Georgia vehicle tax. The tax DOES, of course, apply to leases, and it applies at the time the vehicle is leased. I am not, however, certain if it applies to the value of the lease (i.e., the total of all the monthly payments) or the value of the car. Obviously, that would make a difference.

You will not, however, have to pay any monthly tax on the lease payment. There was a time briefly this year where lessors had to pay BOTH the up front tax AND the monthly lease payment tax. The legislature has fixed that problem.

This article looks at the fix (http://www.autonews.com/article/20130327/FINANCE_AND_INSURANCE/130329904#axzz2YpanLuNR), but like I said, I'm not clear on what the 6.5% tax applies to (total value of car or value of lease).

bronsonb said:
Update on the Georgia vehicle tax. The tax DOES, of course, apply to leases, and it applies at the time the vehicle is leased. I am not, however, certain if it applies to the value of the lease (i.e., the total of all the monthly payments) or the value of the car. Obviously, that would make a difference.

You will not, however, have to pay any monthly tax on the lease payment. There was a time briefly this year where lessors had to pay BOTH the up front tax AND the monthly lease payment tax. The legislature has fixed that problem.

This article looks at the fix (http://www.autonews.com/article/20130327/FINANCE_AND_INSURANCE/130329904#axzz2YpanLuNR), but like I said, I'm not clear on what the 6.5% tax applies to (total value of car or value of lease).

It applies to the invoice value of the car. Most people would roll the tax into the monthly payments.

Quick question for all fellow EV drivers in Atlanta (btw, thanks for the advice, I picked up my leaf a couple weeks ago and love it).

Is Walgreens no longer offering charging for free? We stopped by today and now it wants a card through the Sema Connect website - and the charging is $2.50/hr. it seems like it is now that way at all Walgreens chargers. Just want to make sure I'm reading this right. Has anyone else seen this?

ericbdavies said:
Quick question for all fellow EV drivers in Atlanta (btw, thanks for the advice, I picked up my leaf a couple weeks ago and love it).

Is Walgreens no longer offering charging for free? We stopped by today and now it wants a card through the Sema Connect website - and the charging is $2.50/hr. it seems like it is now that way at all Walgreens chargers. Just want to make sure I'm reading this right. Has anyone else seen this?

Wow! $2.50 an hour is steep and totally ridiculous! Given that an hour will probably give you about 20 miles or so, that's how much my ICE car gives per gallon which would almost be the cost of gas per gallon. And the newer ICE cars are giving 30+ miles a gallon. Which Walgreens is this? The one on Alpharetta Hwy was free the last time I checked (maybe a month ago).

It is the one on Wade Green in Kennesaw. It was free seriously 10 days ago but today when my wife stopped by it required the swipe of a card. I looked up Sema Connect (the provider) online and that's where I got the $2.50/hr price. I still haven't confirmed that's what it is - I was planning on stopping by Walgreens and talking to them about it.

From what I saw at Sema Connect this was every Walgreens in Atlanta - but wasn't sure if anyone else had seen anything. I'll post again when I find out more.

In a way I'm glad they're no longer free which will make them available to those who really need them. However, $2.50 is a bit steep and, realistically, hardly anyone will use them. It will prevent all-night/day leeches though.

Again, with so many other free options in the metro and blinks @ $1/hour, these things will not see much use...

cracovian said:
In a way I'm glad they're no longer free which will make them available to those who really need them. However, $2.50 is a bit steep and, realistically, hardly anyone will use them. It will prevent all-night/day leeches though.

You've got a great point. If something is given away for free, a good many folks will take advantage of that. $2.50 an hour is VERY steep though. I can charge my car at home for six hours for less than that on my Blink. I can see them needing to charge a bit above what the electricity costs to maintain the charger and the network, but $2.50 seems a bit steep. I take it that it's based solely on time and NOT on how much electricity you actually use. So a new Leaf with the faster charging port would be able to take better advantage of this versus an older Leaf.

I bet they see a drop in usage. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Agreed with all points above. To be clear - I haven't confirmed that is the price but it is what is listed on Sema Connect website. I went into Walgreens to ask them but they didn't know anything.

I think $1/hr is a very fair price so I have a blink card. That's about twice as much as the going georgia rate (5kw over an hour - or $.20/kwh) and is more than fair. But $2.50 is a little too much and I have to make a $20 deposit even to get the card to try and use it. I would be surprised if anyone uses - which is unfortunate.

I think the goal of a retailer providing this service is to make it basically "free" to visit their store. Even if I visited my Walgreens for only 10 minutes it covered the electricity to get there and get home. That should be the goal - and maybe they could enforce that to make sure it stayed "free". I'd hate to see them raise the price so much so no one uses it and them conclude there is no demand for the charger. There IS demand and it is growing - but just need to align incentives.

ericbdavies said:
I think the goal of a retailer providing this service is to make it basically "free" to visit their store. Even if I visited my Walgreens for only 10 minutes it covered the electricity to get there and get home. That should be the goal - and maybe they could enforce that to make sure it stayed "free". I'd hate to see them raise the price so much so no one uses it and them conclude there is no demand for the charger. There IS demand and it is growing - but just need to align incentives.

Seems like there'd be a way to incentive that...perhaps provide a code you can enter on the charging company's Web site to get free credits after you make a purchase. I am still surprised the Whole Foods by us has their chargers for free, but it does fit with their corporate policies on sustainability. I think most folks would be fine with the chargers being reserved for folks who have spent money at the retailer. Maybe that will be the next wave.

I checked on Sema's web site and they are showing $2.50/hr in Alpharetta as well. So it looks like Walgreens has set this for all their stores. Electricity cost is roughly 10c/KWh. I think the most I have seen is 13c/KWh. An L2 charger with the New Leaf should take 7.2KW per hr. Which would make it about 70-80c per hr. Walgreens is charging 3x+ the cost of the electricity. I doubt that anyone other than someone in an emergency would pay that much.

It could be tied in with the Walgreen's loyalty card. Maybe free charging if you're a member of their loyalty program. Like how gas stations give you 3 cents off per gallon for being a member. Probably would cost about the same, but it's still a little apples/oranges.

The Walgreens here in Oregon are charging $0.49 per kWH. That's rather steep considering that electricity is about 11 cents per kWH. I think Blink's $1 per hour is much more palatable by comparison.

Just another reason to not shop at Walgreens :|

Back