Substandard charge adapter provided with 2013 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The upgrade is great, but it's also handy to have an L1 onboard if you're stuck somewhere and there's only 120 available.

In six months I've only used it twice, but I was glad it was there.

The upgrade is great, but it's also handy to have an L1 onboard if you're stuck somewhere and there's only 120 available.

The EVSE upgrade comes with an optional 120V adapter for this exact situation. (It was $20 extra when I bought mine and I haven't used it since)

NOGASHOLE said:

The EVSE upgrade comes with an optional 120V adapter for this exact situation. (It was $20 extra when I bought mine and I haven't used it since)

you can get adaptors to fit nearly any plug type. I have a handful that were like $25 a piece or so? the "camping" plug I have used only once (could have used standard 120 since the camping plug did not seem to provide me a faster charge) but the dryer plug has been used Dozens of times

What I would like to see Nissan do is provide a portable EVSE like Tesla's MC (Mobile Connector) EVSE, but which (of course) uses a J1772 connector instead of Tesla's proprietary one. This way the detachable input plug used would more safely determine the voltage and the maximum available EVSE charging current available to the EV, probably like the following:

NEMA 5-15r (typical 120v receptacle w/ "equipment ground") --> 12a, 120v;
NEMA 10-30r (older dryer receptacle w/o separate "equipment ground") --> 24a, 240v;
NEMA 14-30r (newer dryer receptacle w/ separate "equipment ground") --> 24a, 240v;
NEMA 14-50r (RV parks) --> 40a, 240v;
NEMA 6-50r (welding and EVSE outlets) --> 32a, 240v (note: often used for "50a" circuits, but can only rely on "40a" rating)

Like Tesla has decided for its Model S, I think Nissan should NOT include a 16a NEMA 5-20r adapter because the receptacle cannot (unfortunately) be relied upon to safely indicate its true circuit rating (because of widespread receptacle misuse).

One problem with this is its value would make it a target for thieves.

There is some confusion these days, as there are quite a few dealers that are stocking our EVSE Upgrade units and some of them even provide it free with each LEAF sold. This way, customers are ready-to-go if they already have a 240V outlet. The LEAF as delivered from the factory only comes with a cord capable of 120V operation. It cannot be used on 240V or it will be destroyed.

You can tell if you have an upgraded unit, as it will have a label on the back stating the voltage input is capable of 240V and it will have a black NEMA L6 plug on the wall end instead of a grey standard 120V end.

If you got a "stock" one with your car, we can upgrade it for under $300. We also sell adapters for most 240V outlet types, such as dryer outlets, etc. Once upgraded, the unit will still operate as before provided you purchase the 120V adapter ($25). Then you can still take it with you for emergency Level 1 (120V) charging.

-Phil

DaveinOlyWA said:
you can get adaptors to fit nearly any plug type. I have a handful that were like $25 a piece or so? the "camping" plug I have used only once (could have used standard 120 since the camping plug did not seem to provide me a faster charge)
If you mean the three-prong 30A plug (often called a TT-30), then yes that is just 120v. But the four-prong NEMA 14-50 connects to RV "50 amp" service, and that should be as fast as any other 240v charging.

Ray

DaveinOlyWA said:
so you traded in your EVSE upgraded cable? I would have negotiated the option to keep that one and let them take the EVSE from the 2013... at least that is what I hope to do when my lease ends in Jan

Yes this is what I do when I upgrade to a newer same model car keep my upgrades and switch them to the new car. Dealer has never cared lights, stereo, oil cooler, intake.blah blah.

Back