Capacity vs Hx (Health)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Top row: Kwh remaining, Gids, Extended Absolute Battery Bars
Bottom row: Pack volts, SOC %, Pack power in/out (Kw)

My Cap and Ahr seem to constantly wander around a bit. Currently 54.30 and 81.96% (don't currently have anything that displays Health).

GregH said:
What are the numbers in the first photo (other than Vpack)? If the 2nd photo is Ah Capacity and Health that seems odd.. 85.67% Health sounds really low for a 61.35Ah pack. Just the other day I was at 93.57% Health with 62.1166Ah Capacity in my car.

adspguy said:
Hey GregH, do your cap and health values vary like mine?
Yeah, looks similar. I haven't been recording as much data as you! I'm trying to see when the car makes these decisions..? I've seen the Health update during a drive but the Ah Cap only seems to update occasionally.. perhaps at the end of charge?

TomT said:
My Cap and Ahr seem to constantly wander around a bit. Currently 54.30 and 81.96% (don't currently have anything that displays Health).

I think Jim has a new battery app version that displays health. The 81.96% you quote is just your Ah Capacity / 66.25. As it's just an arbitrarily derived number from the Ahr capacity we should probably keep it out of the discussion here.

Yes, I know that which is why I only use one in my signature, but some people don't want to do the math in their head so I reported both... I'll take a look for the new version of the App, though I admit that I'm not sure of what real value Health is since its true meaning is apparently still unknown...

GregH said:
The 81.96% you quote is just your Ah Capacity / 66.25. As it's just an arbitrarily derived number from the Ahr capacity we should probably keep it out of the discussion here.

GregH, The health and SOC used to be within 1%. It all changed after the update. Obviously based on 255 gids out of 281, I have more than 85%.

Oh well, maybe it will change over time. The gid number is really the only thing that counts.

If my experience is any indication, it will drift back down to pretty close where it was pre-update over about a month of cycles...

GlennD said:
GregH, The health and SOC used to be within 1%. It all changed after the update. Obviously based on 255 gids out of 281, I have more than 85%.
Oh well, maybe it will change over time. The gid number is really the only thing that counts.

TomT said:
I admit that I'm not sure of what real value Health is since its true meaning is apparently still unknown...
Ha! That's the fun part! Trying to figure it out... and the point of this thread btw.

Another data point: I just installed the beta version of the Battery App and was surprised to find a Health reading of 67.11%.
My AHr is at 81.96% and my cell imbalance is 12Mv. The rest of the data is in my sig. This is a P3227 updated vehicle.

Hey Greg,

I have been using the LeafDD for a few weeks now. I received it during normal summer weather here in inland Bay Area with mostly mid-80's highs during the day and low 60's / high 50's at night. My car is about 20-21 months. During that time I was charging to about 65-75% every few days (I don't have far commutes). I was seeing 88% "Health" from the LeafDD.

However, we just got through 2 weeks of mid-90's to 100 degree weather. Highest battery temp I saw from LeafDD was 95 one afternoon. Most of the time it was 80-85 in the afternoon (I park in underground parking at work). I was parking the car out of the garage at night so it would cool down and I only charged a few times for a few hours of L1 (because it was outside the garage where my L2 is). However, now that the heat spell is over and the battery is finally back to 5 temp bars and 70-75 degrees, the "Health" is now showing 82.XXX%.

I was pretty amazed how much that number dropped. However I still have 12 capacity bars. And I still haven't charged to 80% nor 100%.

Once I do an 80% or 100% charge I'll report back all values... but I thought it was worth reporting since it was such a significant drop in "health" yet I'm still showing 12 capacity bars. Oh, and I've had the most recent firmware upgrade from Nissan.

EricBayArea said:
Hey Greg,

I have been using the LeafDD for a few weeks now. I received it during normal summer weather here in inland Bay Area with mostly mid-80's highs during the day and low 60's / high 50's at night. My car is about 20-21 months. During that time I was charging to about 65-75% every few days (I don't have far commutes). I was seeing 88% "Health" from the LeafDD.

However, we just got through 2 weeks of mid-90's to 100 degree weather. Highest battery temp I saw from LeafDD was 95 one afternoon. Most of the time it was 80-85 in the afternoon (I park in underground parking at work). I was parking the car out of the garage at night so it would cool down and I only charged a few times for a few hours of L1 (because it was outside the garage where my L2 is). However, now that the heat spell is over and the battery is finally back to 5 temp bars and 70-75 degrees, the "Health" is now showing 82.XXX%.

I was pretty amazed how much that number dropped. However I still have 12 capacity bars. And I still haven't charged to 80% nor 100%.

Once I do an 80% or 100% charge I'll report back all values... but I thought it was worth reporting since it was such a significant drop in "health" yet I'm still showing 12 capacity bars. Oh, and I've had the most recent firmware upgrade from Nissan.

Wow.. I haven't had the SW update yet but my Health tracks very slowly with Ahr capacity.. I wonder if the Health calculation is different with the new SW? I recall seeing some crazy Health numbers on 2013 vehicles (111% and 115%) which already had the newer software.

Actually that brings up a good piece of info which I forgot to mention... I received the software update during the heat wave and I don't recall the affects on the "health" number. I should have paid closer attention. So the drop in "health" could be part due to the software and part due to the temperatures. Either way, it did not make me feel very good to see that # this morning .. but more curious it made me wonder why I still have 12 capacity bars.

I'm in the same boat - my Health is down to 90, from 94 just a few weeks ago. I have not had the software update. My CAP number has been declining as well.... it's been hotter in Denver (high 80s, low 90s) in these same weeks.. so I'm guessing it has to do with the heat. I charge to 80% nightly.

ampitupco said:
I'm in the same boat - my Health is down to 90, from 94 just a few weeks ago. I have not had the software update. My CAP number has been declining as well.... it's been hotter in Denver (high 80s, low 90s) in these same weeks.. so I'm guessing it has to do with the heat. I charge to 80% nightly.
Same experience here, had a few+ days of hot 80/90 weather and both cap and health dropped a few percent rather quickly. It's been a couple days of cooler weather but not recovering yet.

I just got the update and expected the "more accurate" capacity gauge to take a bar off the full 12 because my CAP is 91% (sorry, haven't been comparing to health), reading from the Leaf Battery App. So far, still have the full 12 bars. My guess is that Nissan is still erring on the side of more bars (see other posts that report 110% health on new cars)... kind of like their famous 100-mile range when they began selling Leafs! Marketing trumps data.
It's too bad that when I get something from Nissan saying they're improving accuracy, my first thought based on past experiences is that it's the opposite. I will report when/if the bar is lost.

JG

garygid said:
You need to lose 15% capacity to lose the top capacity bar.

My "health" indicator says 82% yet I have all my bars. That leads me to question the correlation between the "Heath" indicator and what Nissan is using to determine the battery health.

EricBayArea said:
garygid said:

My "health" indicator says 82% yet I have all my bars. That leads me to question the correlation between the "Heath" indicator and what Nissan is using to determine the battery health.

What's your AH reading? Any chance you also have a 100% GiD reading?

EricBayArea said:
garygid said:

When your Gids (true) are around 80-81%, you will probably lose a bar. It may be the same % as Health. Also, around 54 AH you will lose a bar. I believe the loss of the first CB is closer to 20% loss.

I lost my first bar right at 16%...

LEAFfan said:
When your Gids (true) are around 80-81%, you will probably lose a bar. It may be the same % as Health. Also, around 54 AH you will lose a bar. I believe the loss of the first CB is closer to 20% loss.

Back