Stolen SD card, need conf number to buy the new map upgrade

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cwerdna said:
DarkStar said:
Locally, Portland General Electric had their SD card removed from a Leaf at an event (the display still opens even if the car is off). Wilsonville Nissan (south of Portland) got a replacement for them for about $350.
I really hope Nissan makes a change to prevent this and adds some other anti-theft measures. Hopefully the utility logged a formal complaint w/Nissan corporate on this. I think everyone else who's been victimized should.

Hopefully word eventually gets out to thieves about the copy protection and about the cards being useless on other Leafs (if I'm not mistaken, given the DRM that seems to be employed here.)

Well I can understand them protecting their proprietary info (the maps), even though navs are ubiquitous and nobody really wants their out-of-date "IP" anyway.

But the real stupidity is in Nissan making the other functions dependent on the DRM. The radio? Really, Nissan?

No, there is no way to copy the encrypted DRM so it won't work.

lion said:
Could one create a 1:1 backup (using dd or any other imaging tool) to keep a backup in case your card gets stolen? I would at least be able to create a new SD card from my backup instead of having to spent a fortune on a piece of plastic.

DarkStar said:
lion said:
Could one create a 1:1 backup (using dd or any other imaging tool) to keep a backup in case your card gets stolen? I would at least be able to create a new SD card from my backup instead of having to spent a fortune on a piece of plastic.

I'm thinking about a warning sticker over the SD slot in case someone does try to access it.
Sure, but you need the exact same type of SD card to restore that backup to. Good luck finding one.

Pardon my ignorance, but I have to ask just to be sure ...

Is this card more than a standard SD card, does it actually have hardware differences compared with a regular card?

I'm not familiar with how the DRM is implemented (wiki entry seems to make it look like it's part of the file system), and if it's just a key stored on the file system (so a 1:1 raw sector copy would work), or if there is a 2nd chip in this card which can't be accessed.

Any info you may have would be appreciated.

edit: looks like some folks have had some luck cloning DRM protected SD cards, but it all depends on how Nissan implemented the security features.

lion said:
DarkStar said:
lion said:

I'm thinking about a warning sticker over the SD slot in case someone does try to access it.
Sure, but you need the exact same type of SD card to restore that backup to. Good luck finding one.

Pardon my ignorance, but I have to ask just to be sure ...

Is this card more than a standard SD card, does it actually have hardware differences compared with a regular card?

I'm not familiar with how the DRM is implemented (wiki entry seems to make it look like it's part of the file system), and if it's just a key stored on the file system (so a 1:1 raw sector copy would work), or if there is a 2nd chip in this card which can't be accessed.

Any info you may have would be appreciated.

edit: looks like some folks have had some luck cloning DRM protected SD cards, but it all depends on how Nissan implemented the security features.

I think it should be possible to do a 1:1 clone of the SDCard. There is some software out there to do it for hard drives/SSDs, so don't see why it wouldn't work on an SDCard. Only one way to find out! :)

booper said:
I think it should be possible to do a 1:1 clone of the SDCard. There is some software out there to do it for hard drives/SSDs, so don't see why it wouldn't work on an SDCard. Only one way to find out! :)

DRM copy-protection

All cards incorporate DRM copy-protection. Roughly 10% of the storage capacity of an SD card is a "Protected Area" not available to the user, but is used by the on-card processor to verify the identity of an application program that it then allows to read protected content. The card prohibits other accesses, such as users trying to make copies of protected files. (Reformatting an SD card may erase this Protected Area; see Risks of reformatting below.)

The DRM scheme embedded in the SD cards is the Content Protection for Recordable Media (CPRM or CPPM) specification of the 4C Entity, which features the Cryptomeria cipher (also termed C2). The specification is kept secret and is accessible only to licensees. The scheme has not been broken or cracked;
-- wikipedia

If a format might wipe out this protection, then that would indicate it's part of the file system. It could something like a hidden partition, which would not be accessible via Windows Explorer, etc, but imaging software and utilities such as the unix dd tool should be able to copy this data. Between that and not knowing how far Nissan went securing this data, it might actually be doable.

I'll have to take the card out and see what size/type we are dealing with (or if anyone has these details already, please do share).

If I do try this, and am not successful, can I just remove the card and put the OEM card back in the slot, or will the nav system go into some sort of security/lock down mode which can only be reset by Nissan? Want to make sure I don't screw things up by trying this ;)

My local dealer, Tim Dahle Nissan in Sandy, UT, insisted I had to replace the entire unit ($3,500) even after I showed them this message board and the special form they needed to place the order. My impression is that this dealership and others are not clueless, they just do not want to sell a $300-$400 part that require a few minutes of effort when they could sell a $3,500 part.

I have a 2011 LEAF with a "NO SD CARD" blue screen. I called Chris at Courtesy Nissan in Texas at 972-792-5624 and he knew exactly what to do. He took my information and called me back shortly after. The part comes from Japan (about 10 business days) and regular mail (couple more days). I gave him the following information from the blue screen that is displayed in my car:

SET:
SNO:
NAVI-1:

The prices vary depending on Nissan and the dealer, but at this time it is $299, the lowest price I found and includes the newest maps.

This information is still correct. Call: Chris at Courtesy Nissan in Texas at 972-792-5624

I called him today. He knew just what I was talking about after much frustration elsewhere. Was $378.88 after tax but if you are not in Texas he may not have to charge tax. He said it would be "about a week" for it to come in to the dealership.

My two cents worth:
I bought a used 2013 Leaf that had a broken SD card. After several dealers tried to get it to work with no avail, the used car dealer agreed to pay for a new one. The parts department at my local dealer (Shingle Springs Nissan, CA) filled out the form with the info on the blue screen. About 1 month later I got the new card, plugged it in and everything works great now.
I do not know how much the card cost the used car dealer, the list price was over $300.

Urs said:
My two cents worth:
I bought a used 2013 Leaf that had a broken SD card. After several dealers tried to get it to work with no avail, the used car dealer agreed to pay for a new one. The parts department at my local dealer (Shingle Springs Nissan, CA) filled out the form with the info on the blue screen. About 1 month later I got the new card, plugged it in and everything works great now.
I do not know how much the card cost the used car dealer, the list price was over $300.

It's much faster to do it online at http://nissan.navigation.com/
All you need is info from blue screen (model number and serial number). And of course Confirmation number.
If you need help getting confirmation number, please write me personal message or email auto.emulators at gmail

Martyans said:
Urs said:
My two cents worth:

All you need is info from blue screen (model number and serial number). And of course Confirmation number.
If you need help getting confirmation number, please write me personal message or email auto.emulators at gmail

Has an body used this guy? Know if he is legitimate?

Martyans said:
Urs said:
My two cents worth:

You CANNOT purchase a new one from http://nissan.navigation.com/ only updates @ $179.

714JPP said:
Martyans said:
Urs said:
My two cents worth:

You CANNOT purchase a new one from http://nissan.navigation.com/ only updates @ $179.

Update card from nissan is used instead of original card. And it works even if you don't have original sd. When you receiving update card, you must remove original card and put update card. It updates head unit and works as the main SD. Old SD can be thrown away. TESTED !!!
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx4G9a_sR5yjVERDSnBzOEtaeWs

I bought a used 2012 nissan leaf that was missing the SD card. I asked Martyans for the confirmation code, and he sent it to me. The confirmation code matched up with CCITT code calculated as described at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=21515.

I tried entering a bad confirmation code at the here website, and it would only allow me to order the card with the correct confirmation code.

When the card arrived, my car accepted it even though I never had the original.

Hi,
I'm a Yank who probably just did a very stupid thing. Last week, bought a 2012 LEAF.
I lived in UK for 3 years and think I'd probably have more protection there than here in Salt Lake City, Utah.
I told the car dealership that I wanted to return the car within the 48 hour period because it wouldn't
go even 35 miles without a charge. I feel stuck and am trying to avoid panic. I can't find any LEAF owners here to
talk with. It was also missing an SD card. I can't afford to buy a new battery.
I'm reaching out to find some general information. Any night owls over there across the pond?
Cheers!
blvnyrslf

DarkStar said:
lion said:

Not really that hard, it appears to be a standard 4GB class 4 SDHC card. These are relatively cheap, you should be able to pick one up for less than $10. Should be possible to do a 1:1 copy and have it work in theory, I may have to try this at some point, because if that works, I would love to see if someone wants to try a 1:1 copy of the update card before it is ever put into a vehicle.

blvnyrslf said:
Hi,
I'm a Yank who probably just did a very stupid thing. Last week, bought a 2012 LEAF.
I lived in UK for 3 years and think I'd probably have more protection there than here in Salt Lake City, Utah.
I told the car dealership that I wanted to return the car within the 48 hour period because it wouldn't
go even 35 miles without a charge. I feel stuck and am trying to avoid panic. I can't find any LEAF owners here to
talk with. It was also missing an SD card. I can't afford to buy a new battery.
I'm reaching out to find some general information. Any night owls over there across the pond?
Cheers!
blvnyrslf

I lived in SLC for a while and I think there are a fair number of owners out there. Did you have any luck with returning the car? This is the problem with the Leaf and especially the older ones - the batteries. I'm still considering a used one and the best thing to do is download the Leafspy app and buy yourself an OBD adapter. You hook the adapter up to the card and it can communicate with your phone (or tablet or whatever you have Leafspy installed on) and the application will tell you how good the battery is (State Of Health - SOH) and information about the car. The SD card is another known issue and I think it's pretty dumb that it being missing keeps the entire radio from not working.

You can also check here: https://www.reddit.com/r/leaf/

On a related note, for those of you who have had these cars for a while, would it be simpler to try and just replace the entire radio than deal with replacing a costly SD card? For the price of the SD card, you could probably pick up a replacement head unit (or used), but I've never seen or talked to anyone who has done this.

714JPP said:
Martyans said:
Urs said:
My two cents worth:

when you go to this website after inputting details they say they will send an sd card that replaces the current card

cmwade77 said:
Not really that hard, it appears to be a standard 4GB class 4 SDHC card. These are relatively cheap, you should be able to pick one up for less than $10. Should be possible to do a 1:1 copy and have it work in theory, I may have to try this at some point, because if that works, I would love to see if someone wants to try a 1:1 copy of the update card before it is ever put into a vehicle.

They call it Secure Digital for a reason. The software is keyed to the card and you can't just copy it and have it work, otherwise people would be selling copies left and right.

Back