Canada : 2013 availability and price

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Galiano said:
Hard to understand Nissan only offering black interiors. Just not my favorite and my wife, who will drive this car most of the time, will take some convincing. Disappointing.

I think the black interior looks great from what i see online. The light interior was one of my pet peeves when I test drove a 2012. To each their own though, and it is nice to have more choice.

Still can't get over no silver....not sure if I am brave enough to get the Ocean Blue and I am not crazy about black or the grey, definitely would never get white or red.

Look for Nissan's "Spin'n Win" events.

Attendees receive a coupon for an additional manufacturer's rebate of $1,000 (and an obviously very slim chance of winning a 3,000 or $30,00 rebate at their virtual wheel).

There's one running in Montreal until Sunday July 21st.

166140.jpg

The rebate is good at any dealer, but expires after 72 hours.

I just ordered a 2013 LEAF SL and stacked this $1K rebate with the current "standard" one of $1,500.
The LEAF (and most other Nissan models) is not eligible for the second part of the event promotion (2 payments or extended warranty)

ataman said:
2 other dealers told me there is going to be $1,500 factory incentive. They also no info about that. They are trying to confirm finance rates and incentive before I have an official number. I did not bargain with the MSRP and do not plan on it but will try to bargain for my trade in and of course ask for the $1,500 incentive. once those questions are answered, I will just put down a deposit on it.

cheers

Hello all. First post on this forum. I just put a down payment on a 2013 Leaf at a local dealer in Ontario. The dealer did not mention any kind of factory incentives and I cannot find any mention of incentives in Ontario. Unhaggle.com also does not show incentives for the Leaf. Is this incentive only for BC?

Thanks

Stuart

SWF said:
Is this [1$,500 off LEAF] incentive only for BC?

Nope, I got it in Quebec and was told it's good anywhere in Canada until the end of the month.

However, it does appear to be well hidden.

40% of the time the salesman will know about the rebate and offer it immediately
40% of the time, he will be surprised when you bring it up, but after searching in his computer system (perhaps with the help of his sales manager) he will find it.
20% of the time, he will need to research further

hingisfan said:
The fully loaded SL is only $2500 more here than in the US.

I ordered an SL in Canada last week and I wish it was only $2,500 more than in the US.

Canada: 38,398 CAD
USA: 34,840 USD x 1.03CAD/1 USD = 35,885 CAD

OK, the difference is only $2,512, but then you have to factor in freight and dealer prep where they soak you for $1,990 in Canada compared to only $850 in the USA. Yes, somehow they charge $1,100 more to ship a LEAF 900 km from Tennessee to Windsor than they bill for shipping 6,500 km to Fairbanks, Alaska (or 3,700 km to California where most LEAFs are sold).

That's only the tip of the iceberg, though. Currently, there's a $7,000 manufacturer's rebate on 4-years LEAF leases in the USA as compared to only $1,500 on LEAF purchases in Canada.

As Canada is just getting the MY13, the USA is almost in the phase of clearing out stock for MY14, so promotions on the latest model will likely always be better South of the border.

Berlino said:
hingisfan said:

I ordered an SL in Canada last week and I wish it was only $2,500 more than in the US.

Canada: 38,398 CAD
USA: 34,840 USD x 1.03CAD/1 USD = 35,885 CAD

OK, the difference is only $2,512, but then you have to factor in freight and dealer prep where they soak you for $1,990 in Canada compared to only $850 in the USA. Yes, somehow they charge $1,100 more to ship a LEAF 900 km from Tennessee to Windsor than they bill for shipping 6,500 km to Fairbanks, Alaska (or 3,700 km to California where most LEAFs are sold).

That's only the tip of the iceberg, though. Currently, there's a $7,000 manufacturer's rebate on 4-years LEAF leases in the USA as compared to only $1,500 on LEAF purchases in Canada.

As Canada is just getting the MY13, the USA is almost in the phase of clearing out stock for MY14, so promotions on the latest model will likely always be better South of the border.

Thanks for the information.

I am trying to decide between taking a demo model vs ordering one from the factory. The dealer indicated it would be about 3 weeks to get one from the factory. Does this seem reasonable or will it likely be longer?

Thanks

SWF said:
I am trying to decide between taking a demo model vs ordering one from the factory. The dealer indicated it would be about 3 weeks to get one from the factory. Does this seem reasonable or will it likely be longer?

I think that is something that can change from case to case, but three weeks seems reasonable based on my (sole) experience.

I place an order July 18th and the dealer told me 3-4 weeks, but he just called today and said that I should be able to pick up the car next Friday (2 weeks+one day)

hingisfan said:

As I just posted, it's $3,500 more before you factor in manufacturer's incentives, which are typically more generous in the States.

However, I grant you that if you compare the details for the SL on nissanusa.com to those on nissan.ca, it appears that the Canadian model includes a BOSE audio system which in the USA only comes with the optional, $1,050, premium package.

The USA premium package also comes with "All-around view," not sure if that is standard in Canada (no mention of it, even as an option on nissan.ca)

I'm in BC and I am about to order a Leaf S L I just noticed on the Nissan site the mention of
a Leaf SL + tech package

I haven't yet asked the dealer what this includes. Can anyone explain this.

I'm also wondering if the SL comes with this "around view " feature ?

Galiano said:
I'm in BC and I am about to order a Leaf S L I just noticed on the Nissan site the mention of
a Leaf SL + tech package

I haven't yet asked the dealer what this includes. Can anyone explain this.

I'm also wondering if the SL comes with this "around view " feature ?

Just go to nissan.ca and "build" a leaf. The features are listed for each trim when you have to pick one. Yes, around view and Bose come on the SL.

Berlino said:

Nissan does provide some cash to lower the lease payments, but I don't think it's $7 grand. In California, we'd have to pay our applicable sales tax on that if we leased, so that's how I know it's not that high.

The US Federal government's tax credit for EVs is $7500, no minimum ownership term required. Some individual states that have their own incentives do require minimum ownership periods; California's $2500 rebate, as an example, requires at least a 3 year lease, or ownership for at least that time frame.

Most Leafs that are leased here in the US are for 24 or 36 month terms, based upon the posts. Since I joined the forum, I have yet to see someone post that theirs is for longer than 39 months.

RonDawg said:
Nissan does provide some cash to lower the lease payments, but I don't think it's $7 grand. In California, we'd have to pay our applicable sales tax on that if we leased, so that's how I know it's not that high.

The US Federal government's tax credit for EVs is $7500, no minimum ownership term required. Some individual states that have their own incentives do require minimum ownership periods; California's $2500 rebate, as an example, requires at least a 3 year lease, or ownership for at least that time frame.

Most Leafs that are leased here in the US are for 24 or 36 month terms, based upon the posts. Since I joined the forum, I have yet to see someone post that theirs is for longer than 39 months.

My mistake, the lease offer on nissanusa.com is currently for 36 months.

Nissan USA is offering $7,500 towards the lease, though. Perhaps, there's a catch in that they are using some accounting to trick to pocket the tax credit for themselves and thus leasees don't get to claim it.

Berlino said:
Nissan USA is offering $7,500 towards the lease, though. Perhaps, there's a catch in that they are using some accounting to trick to pocket the tax credit for themselves and thus leasees don't get to claim it.

It's not a manufacturer's credit. It is a tax credit courtesy of Uncle Sam. Specifically, it is part of the Energy Improvement and Extension Act of 2008. See http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Plug-In-Electric-Vehicle-Credit-(IRC-30-and-IRC-30D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

If you purchase the car, you get to claim the credit on your Federal income tax return, up to $7500 or the lesser of that year's tax liability, whichever is lower. If you lease the car, the lessor (bank) normally gets the credit.

What you are confusing is that lessors have the option of passing that credit on to the lessee. However, only NIssan Motor Acceptance Corporation (NMAC, which is Nissan's in-house financing arm in the US) chooses to do so. So, Nissan does pass the credit on to you, but it is US taxpayer money, and not from Nissan's own funds.

BTW Nissan is not the only one that does this. Ford (Focus EV), Honda (Fit EV), Mitsubishi (iMiEV), GM (for both the Volt and the Spark EV) all have, or had, in-house leasing programs that are structured around this credit.

I have just ordered an SL from Campus Nissan here in Victoria. It's at another Western Canada dealer and will arrive here next week ( I hope ). Campus had just received a blue 2013 ( sold ) with cloth interior but I don't know which model.

btw I have found Campus to be a really good dealership with excellent people.

I believe their inventory of 4 will be arriving shortly.

I ordered an SL from Vic as well, Red one. I am guessing you are getting the dark silver they were telling me?

I am dealing with Emir, he is ok...

I had no idea about the blue one, when i asked he told me he had 2 SL's coming..

Let me know if you hear anything. I am hoping before the long weekend.

Vancouver dealerships already got them.. I phoned Nissan in Richmond and they had a SV in stock..

Hi Ataman

I am getting a white one that is " in the system " coming from the inventory of another dealer. Red should be a good choice but would it not have been good to actually see what the car looked like before buying one ? I might have ended up with a different colour had I seen the choices.

As to delivery, my sales guy Peter, along with the sales manager, were both a little uncertain about actual arrival date. I'm hoping within 10 days max but I can only wait.

Do you have a home charger as yet ? I'm trying to contact the president of the Leaf Club who I met briefly. They sell chargers for $ 599 and I'd like to get mine installed before the car arrives.

I have owned a whole lot of different cars over the years ( still have an Infiniti G35 ) but this Leaf really is exciting.

Oh I see, mine is I think directly coming to Campus, one they ordered from factory..

I ams till thinking about a charger, I haven't made up my mind. There is a free level 2 charger about 300m from my place. So I think I will keep using the L1 and if drove a lot that day then use the free L2 when needed.

make sure the charger you get qualifies for the $500 government rebate.. Very few do, there is a list.. I would not buy homemade (if it is) when I can get a $500 rebate from the government. Home depot has a indoor one for $799

My sales guy was not in office today, he will check tomorrow to see...

Keep me updated!

ataman said:
Oh I see, mine is I think directly coming to Campus, one they ordered from factory..

I ams till thinking about a charger, I haven't made up my mind. There is a free level 2 charger about 300m from my place. So I think I will keep using the L1 and if drove a lot that day then use the free L2 when needed.

make sure the charger you get qualifies for the $500 government rebate.. Very few do, there is a list.. I would not buy homemade (if it is) when I can get a $500 rebate from the government. Home depot has a indoor one for $799

My sales guy was not in office today, he will check tomorrow to see...

Keep me updated!

The charger from the Leaf club is recommended by Campus and it qualifies for the $500 grant.

Back