NASHVILLE TENNESSEE - LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all! I missed the Earth Day event this year (death in the family), but I had some friends and co-workers that went and said it was a success.

Update on my LEAF. I finally lost 1 capacity bar. It was a few weeks ago, a little over 11,000 miles. Now that the weather is warming back up, I still haven't seen the 12th capacity bar (reported by some). I'll go in for my 2nd yearly battery check in the next few months, so we'll see what my scores are. :roll:

Anyone else experience a capacity bar loss yet?

I know quite a few people that have gotten 2013 leases for $200-250/mo (depending on the model), and I'm thinking about going that route. Sell my 2011 and go back in for a 2013 lease. I also received the loyalty $1000 mailer, so that would be an added bonus.

TNleaf said:
Hey all! I missed the Earth Day event this year (death in the family), but I had some friends and co-workers that went and said it was a success.

Update on my LEAF. I finally lost 1 capacity bar. It was a few weeks ago, a little over 11,000 miles. Now that the weather is warming back up, I still haven't seen the 12th capacity bar (reported by some). I'll go in for my 2nd yearly battery check in the next few months, so we'll see what my scores are. :roll:

I know quite a few people that have gotten 2013 leases for $200-250/mo (depending on the model), and I'm thinking about going that route. Sell my 2011 and go back in for a 2013 lease. I also received the loyalty $1000 mailer, so that would be an added bonus.

I am coming up on 12,000 miles. Still have the 12th Bar if I charge all the way; when I took the Leaf in for the 10K checkup the tech said that I was going to lose the 12th bar "soon". Evidently their test showed it edging towards the 11th bar or something. I still see between 95 and 105 miles on the guess-o-meter in the morning, but it quickly drops to about 98 or 97 after the first mile in Brentwood traffic. With A/C on it will be at about 90 and with heat it goes down to about 85. When it was really cold and I ran the heater and defrost all the time along with lights, etc., I would have a one-way range of about 60 miles.

Cheers,

Dave

TNleaf said:

Sorry you lost your capacity bar :-( Have you reported it at these forums to have it recorded in the forums stats on capacity losses? I think you are the first TN loss I've heard of.

I still have my 12 capacity bars, and have 24.500 miles on the clock. I expect I will be experiencing the loss at or before my second annual check once the temps get high again. I went 75 miles on a full charge today before LBW and had 5-10 left 'in the tank'

I'm now running from Hendersonvillle to Brentwood and back each day, so expect a capacity loss as I increase my mileage and daily charge level.

I've looked at the 2013's as well, but selling the 2011 LEAF maybe problematic. I've collected enough data from eBay for my blog to show they are not selling. Highest bid I've seen is $15,000 and that didn't reach the reserve price. Many cars receive zero bids. Dealers won't offer me anymore than $14,000

TNleaf said:

I will add you to the tracking wiki page that lists Leaf owners who have lost capacity bars. *links below*
Anyone can add their info, but I ask that you keep the format in line with the rest of the page.
Thanks.

Joeviocoe said:
TNleaf said:

I will add you to the tracking wiki page that lists Leaf owners who have lost capacity bars. *links below*
Anyone can add their info, but I ask that you keep the format in line with the rest of the page.
Thanks.

Thanks! I haven't frequented these forums nearly as much as before, so I wasn't aware that existed. I'll keep an eye on it and update if there are any more losses.

11,500 miles, 6 months. Haven't lost any noticeable range. In fact with the warmer weather my range is soaring.
I might be down a couple of GIDs, but haven't been charging to 100% lately....

Philip

philipscoggins said:
11,500 miles, 6 months. Haven't lost any noticeable range. In fact with the warmer weather my range is soaring.
I might be down a couple of GIDs, but haven't been charging to 100% lately....

Philip

If this is your first spring/summer in the LEAF you will notice an increase in range coming out of winter.

It is my first spring in my LEAF, I purchased last November. Think I'll join the 100 mile club if we ever get a pretty weekend.

Love the range increase. My m/kWh has gone from a low of 3.9 to a daily average of 5.3!

Philip

nogajim said:
If you are worried about capacity, look no further than this thread:
Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf.
With an free Android app and a $15 OBD plug you can check your capacity and %charge pretty accurately. The cheap models can drain you 12V if you leave them plugged in, though.

I am at 89% but have not lost a bar yet.

Thanks for cross linking this thread. I was unaware of it. I got a cheap OBDII ELM327 scanner today and loaded the app on my Droid3.

If the sensors/app are to be trusted, I'm at 91% of original capacity and just 100 miles shy of 25,000 on the odometer. Stoaty's aging model predicts a 12% loss at my mileage in Nashville so the ELM327 scanner looks like it is accurate enough for govt work.

Which of the scanners do you recommend that will not drain the 12v battery?

I'm going to load the app on an old Droid phone so I can leave a dedicated display running in the vehicle fro accurate SOC remaining and battery temp. Knowing the battery temp will help in knowing when it's safe to plug-in during the hot summer months and frigid winter months.

JPWhite said:
nogajim said:
With an free Android app and a $15 OBD plug you can check your capacity and %charge pretty accurately. The cheap models can drain you 12V if you leave them plugged in, though.

Thanks for cross linking this thread. I was unaware of it. I got a cheap OBDII ELM327 scanner today and loaded the app on my Droid3.

If the sensors/app are to be trusted, I'm at 91% of original capacity and just 100 miles shy of 25,000 on the odometer. Stoaty's aging model predicts a 12% loss at my mileage in Nashville so the ELM327 scanner looks like it is accurate enough for govt work.

I'm going to load the app on an old Droid phone so I can leave a dedicated display running in the vehicle fro accurate SOC remaining and battery temp. Knowing the battery temp will help in knowing when it's safe to plug-in during the hot summer months and frigid winter months.

Nice! The next time I see you (if we ever do another meetup) I would like to see what mine reports.

So on that topic... I know there are A LOT more LEAF drivers in Nashville now. 4 recent co-workers with leases on the 2013 models... so now there's a little shuffle over the EVSE spots at work! We should think about organizing another meet-up. I know I've been answering a lot questions/suggestion from the new drivers on how to get better range/economy. Thoughts on a meet-up?

TNleaf said:
JPWhite said:
nogajim said:

Nice! The next time I see you (if we ever do another meetup) I would like to see what mine reports.

So on that topic... I know there are A LOT more LEAF drivers in Nashville now. 4 recent co-workers with leases on the 2013 models... so now there's a little shuffle over the EVSE spots at work! We should think about organizing another meet-up. I know I've been answering a lot questions/suggestion from the new drivers on how to get better range/economy. Thoughts on a meet-up?

There are 8 brand new Blinks in Hendersonville that would be useful for a meetup. I suggested a meetup a few weeks ago and got a single response. If you can cajole some new drivers into a meetup I'll be glad to speak with the business owner to see if we can get them coned off on the day of the meet.

Btw I tested the battery app this morning on my commute. It's cool.

JP

JPWhite said:
nogajim said:

I have GID envy! I thought your symptoms last summer were a bit worse than mine and that we were at about the same level now. I'm glad you got the app, even with a GID meter, figuring capacity was difficult. Now we at least know what the Leaf thinks. Sorry I did not answer your question in time, I think they are still figuring out which ones have power off. It also seemed like leaving the app running kept the ELM awake. I'm getting more adventurous with leaving mine in.

Hi, my name is Kelsey and I'm a LEAF driver!

Haha hey guys, long time no see. I'm finally driving a Nissan LEAF thanks to a company perk ;) Now I get to put into practice everything I've learned from you all. I got to see Ralph today at Newton Nissan, and he shared his wealth of information with me.

Yesterday, I took the LEAF from Sumner County to Lipscomb (to charge) and then walked a 1.5 miles to Green Hills Mall. Besides the initial trouble of finding where the charger was on Lipscomb's campus, everything worked out great -- even the weather.

kelseypost said:
Hi, my name is Kelsey and I'm a LEAF driver!

Haha hey guys, long time no see. I'm finally driving a Nissan LEAF thanks to a company perk ;) Now I get to put into practice everything I've learned from you all. I got to see Ralph today at Newton Nissan, and he shared his wealth of information with me.

Yesterday, I took the LEAF from Sumner County to Lipscomb (to charge) and then walked a 1.5 miles to Green Hills Mall. Besides the initial trouble of finding where the charger was on Lipscomb's campus, everything worked out great -- even the weather.

Congratulations on being a LEAF driver Kelsey!!

Yeah, Green Hills sucks, the chargers are conspicuous by their absence!! You are more determined than I walking the over mile just to charge :)

Are you driving a 2013? It shows the batteries capacity in % increments on the dash (may take some button pushing). You can run the battery down to 20% without any concerns.

I'll be a the dealership end of July or early August to get my two year battery check, 30,000 mile service and the new software update for the 2011/12's. Hope to see you then.

Cheers!

JP

Ok, call me before you head over... our computer had issues communicating with Ralph's LEAF today, so I want to make sure it's fixed before you make the drive. Our Service Director called Nissan about the issue, so now it's just up to Nissan to come out. *crossing fingers that it's a quick fix*

About the walk to Green Hills... it just made me and my husband feel better that we were being green AND healthy ;) Plus, we brought our Bocce Ball set to play while the LEAF was charging -- it was a beautiful day to be outside!

Just leased a 2013. I commute from Spring Hill to Downtown Nashville every day and the leaf handles it with ease. I've got to say I'm incredibly impressed with the car. It far exceeds my expectations. I was very concerned about a 64 mile round trip commute, but I can do that plus drive to lunch a good distance and still have plenty of cushion to get home. The fast charger in Coolsprings sealed the deal for me, I can always get a good quick charge on the way home.

flagshipdynamics said:
The fast charger in Coolsprings sealed the deal for me, I can always get a good quick charge on the way home.

Awesome!! I really think Quick Chargers will help spur demand for LEAF's. Your example illustrates the point. I'm anxious to see if Nissan installs more Fast Chargers in the Nashville area as part of the expansion of quick chargers they announced earlier this year.

I'd really like to see one downtown Nashville somewhere.

Enjoy your LEAF!!

JPWhite said:
flagshipdynamics said:
The fast charger in Coolsprings sealed the deal for me, I can always get a good quick charge on the way home.

Awesome!! I really think Quick Chargers will help spur demand for LEAF's. Your example illustrates the point. I'm anxious to see if Nissan installs more Fast Chargers in the Nashville area as part of the expansion of quick chargers they announced earlier this year.

Enjoy your LEAF!!

Hey, a meetup would be great.
I drove the Leaf up to Chicago for the Summer(2 day trip). The QC stations up here are in limbo. The company(350 Green) that installed the QC went bankrupt & was bought up by CarCharging. But the details are still in front of the judge so broken QC stations are not being fixed & it's hard to get RFID cards from the new vendor. As luck would have it there is a Eaton QC, a mile from my house, which is solar grid-tied and free. I also dropped a 240 plug in my back yard to use with my EVSE upgrade cord. I won't be back in Nashville till October.

fishfool said:
JPWhite said:
flagshipdynamics said:

Enjoy your LEAF!!

Hey, a meetup would be great.
I drove the Leaf up to Chicago for the Summer(2 day trip). The QC stations up here are in limbo. The company(350 Green) that installed the QC went bankrupt & was bought up by CarCharging. But the details are still in front of the judge so broken QC stations are not being fixed & it's hard to get RFID cards from the new vendor. As luck would have it there is a Eaton QC, a mile from my house, which is solar grid-tied and free. I also dropped a 240 plug in my back yard to use with my EVSE upgrade cord. I won't be back in Nashville till October.

Let us know a date that would suit. Let's see who would turn up.

Back