Electric Cars Will See ...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
TRONZ said:
Welcome to the forum Iceman (created 8:56, 1 post)/Supercharged(created 9:13 for first post) /?/?... YOU may feel free to polish the brass on the Titanic all YOU want :twisted:

Good call. They are posting from the same IP.

Tag him and Bag him :twisted:

J.D. Power report gives me fond memories of the US auto industry/auto press reaction to the VW beetle in the early 1960's. The CW was, it's ugly, it's different, no one will buy it. They completely missed the appeal of a cheap AND reliable car. They were still trying to figure it out when the OPEC embargo hit.

It's only a matter of time before gas price increases make the personal economics of an EV undeniable for many buyers. Then few will care if it's ugly or different. New oil reserves don't matter, because those reserves are going to be exploited at ever increasing costs per barrel. The real issue is that all the "cheap to extract" oil has been found. This increasing cost of extraction is part of the life cycle of any non-renewable natural resource. There will be plenty of oil, just not at an affordable price for personal transportation.

Norway said:
gasmiser1 said:
Can't disagree about the looks part. Why do eco cars have to be so damn homely?

What you want is an EV Hummer? :mrgreen:

Naw, but an electric G37 :p , or even an electric Altima. Something either stylish, or normal.

Why do EVs and eco-cars have to be all bug-eyed, skinny footed, wide in the rump?

Man, I hope the Inifiniti EV rocks the world. Or a Tesla S, or even the next-gen RAV4 EV. Something with styling that isn't dorked out, manga, or compressed.

GroundLoop said:
Norway said:
gasmiser1 said:
Can't disagree about the looks part. Why do eco cars have to be so damn homely?

What you want is an EV Hummer? :mrgreen:

Naw, but an electric G37 :p , or even an electric Altima. Something either stylish, or normal.

Why do EVs and eco-cars have to be all bug-eyed, skinny footed, wide in the rump?

Man, I hope the Inifiniti EV rocks the world. Or a Tesla S, or even the next-gen RAV4 EV. Something with styling that isn't dorked out, manga, or compressed.

They can be but they will look like the cool futuristic concept cars so many like, the problem is most Americans are conservative about styling and auto makers are not that bold. Too bad, there are some nice aero designs out there.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/car-compare-results/nissan_leaf_2011-vs-chevrolet_volt_2011

•First all-electric car from a major carmaker
Iconic styling
•Multiple incentives, $350 lease
•Smooth, quiet electric power
•Seats five, unlike four-seat Volt

Dislikes:

•100-mile range
•Uninspiring steering and handling
•Knees-up rear seating
•Cargo floor not flat, interrupted by charger

JD Powers is making a lot of assumptions based on the past and that is where the problems lie. we as a society are relying too much on past experiences and up to now, EV's have proven to be unreliable in many instances. but many have proved to be wildly successful and the benefits of a much cleaner transportation option is undeniable.

and until EV's can manage a range of 300 miles and be recharged fully overnight, they will never go beyond a 20% market penetration.

change is slow. Nissan is doing it right by pushing the change but they could not even get it started without a lot of help. and they will need a lot more help but as long as the Leaf proves to do as advertised, even with its paltry 100 mile range, it will have demand, but that demand will take years to develop.

right now there is about 40 million households that could easily use a Leaf without compromise. now, financially speaking it tough to say how many will be able to afford a Leaf. now by making the lease terms so attractive, Nissan is betting that once you try it you will be hooked and i think they are right.

so far, they have setup a successful launch, but that only begins the string of things that must happen and one of them is changing the political climate surrounding EV technology

we need to boost the price of gas to pay for the EV infrastructure improvements, public charging, etc. make a gas car purchase unattractive. let car manufacturers know right now that legislation will change to make them harder to sell (way over due) continue the tax rebates to encourage people on the fence financially to purchase. also the issue of only qualifying for the entire benefit if you make enough to pay that much in taxes is ASININE!! it should be a credit so even if you paid no taxes you still get $7500 back

Nissan, also needs to implement and publish long term goals for battery range improvement, an extended battery warranty program, etc. its a pretty telling stat that their factory will produce 150,000 cars AND 200,000 batteries. obviously for replacements. now granted prices fluctuate wildly, but incorporating a guaranteed price on an extended warranty program will bring in more fence sitters.

the other thing is simply launches. i am guessing a manufacturing capacity of just over a million by 2012 from all manufacturers. kinda hard to say, because to be honest with you; i stopped listening to projected launch dates simply because they mean nothing. Nissan i believe because of the resources they have invested. its hard to deny a plant in progress that will only build one product.

EVDRIVER said:
the problem is most Americans are conservative about styling and auto makers are not that bold.

So true it's not even funny. You need only look at some of the cars running around Paris to know many of them wouldn't have a chance in the American market because of differing views of "style" and "taste" between Europeans and Americans.

supercharged said:
Petsec Energy Ltd says there has been a sizeable gas and condensate discovery at its part-owned prospect in the Gulf of Mexico.

Shares in the oil and gas producer jumped sharply in early trade. At 1103 AEDT, Petsec was up five cents, or 30.3 per cent, at 21.5 cents.

Petsec, which owns 10 per cent of the Marathon well on the Louisiana coastline, on the Gulf of Mexico, said the well was drilled to a depth of 5,730 metres.

Advertisement: Story continues below
Marathon was drilled by operator Phoenix Exploration Company, which made a discovery about 3.2km to the northeast that is producing 15 million cubic feet of gas and 100 barrels of condensate each day.

Production from the discovery is expected commence before the end of the year at an estimated development cost to Petsec of $US1.2 million ($A1.22 million).

"We are delighted that our strategy in the USA Gulf Coast and Gulf of Mexico, to drill for much larger targets in the deeper geologic section, has borne fruit in our second well," said chairman Terry Fern. :ugeek:

I get this kind of "hype" press release in the mail almost every day----shysters trying to make a quick buck on a worthless penny stock. Most of this stuff is exaggerated crap. :(

The other thing which will sell EVs is when big cities restrict the city center to "clean cars only", and either ban or charge non-clean cars to enter. This has happened in several cities in Europe, for example Berlin.

As things advance, this may be limited to zero emission vehicles.

Currently at library charging Zenn for free reading Fortune mag nov 1,2010 edition.
great article on china andits efforts to promote electrics. They will have more than 35% of World s EV s in 5 years because their government wants it.we can do the same. We only need to make it easy and more convenient than gas and yes it will cost money but its better than the price of continuing to rely on gas and not being ready when the gas gets too expensive for the average American to buy

Back