Phoenix metro-area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phxsmiley said:
Found an interesting charger at Ray Rd and I-10 in Chandler. It's free and in front of the AMC Theaters, by Pita Jungle. It's two L2 units supplied and supported by Volta. Volta's website shows several stations in Hawaii, but none anywhere else. You just plug in, don't swipe any card or anything. One unit was down, but the other worked fine.

The spots are not clearly marked as EV-only, so they will often get ICE'd.

Sent a thanks message in Facebook to their Volta facebook page, and they replied back:

Volta Charging Great Dave! There are plenty of stations going in your area soon!

phxsmiley said:
Found an interesting charger at Ray Rd and I-10 in Chandler. It's free and in front of the AMC Theaters, !
I was able to charge there this morning. One of the two EVSEs was down so I sent Volta an e-mail to let them know and to thank them. I noticed they said they were made in Hawaii; not what I usually think of as a manufacturing base ;) .
There was also someone who had ICEed one of the stations and started to walk away and then returned. We talked briefly. He said he didn't think two EVs would ever actually use the stations at the same time. I let him know that word was getting out about this location and I expected it to be popular. He said he did not want to inconvenience anyone and was overall apologetic so I thanked him and he moved his vehicle - kind of an open SUV sized ATV :shock: .
They do have signage now saying something like EVs only. Just paper but they are very clear :) .

shrink said:
This really irks me. I was in downtown Phoenix tonight to head over to the local craft ale house. It happens to be across from Ecotality. They have 3 charging stations there. I didn't need a charge, but figured I'd plug in because it was across the street from where I was going. Sadly, the 3 EVSE's in Ecotality's own lot were vandalized for copper!

Pics are below. I don't know the solution, but for $5 of copper wire, these charging stations are not functional at the moment.

Glad I'm not the only one who uses those while patronizing the Angels Trumpet! Thanks for posting that.

They used to have 120V outlets there, which I had always told myself I'd use those just to have an easy free parking spot once they started charging money for L2, but they had a homeless problem where the bums would hang out around the chargers and charge their ipods and other devices (yes this is true) off the 120V outlets. Even after having the police enforce it more heavily (I walked up to an awkward situation there once) they still have to ultimately remove the 120V plugs.

I'd spoken with people at Ecotality a while back at EVS 26 and they admitted they had had a few instances of vandalism in the northern states, but none in Phoenix at that time. I hope this does not become a trend. At least they had the foresight to mark the cables with their name and do not scrap.

It was all done with-in 3 days ..I feel like im in a new car again..
turbo2ltr said:
There hasn't really been any gatherings in Phoenix.

how long did it take for them to replace the battery from when you bought it in to file a claim?

mark1313 said:
turbo2ltr said:

how long did it take for them to replace the battery from when you bought it in to file a claim?

I brought mine in to have it checked out at the end of July, and they told me it would be the first week of September when the battery would come in. They must have only had a small stock of these batteries. A Nissan case number has been assigned, and a Nissan rep is calling me every Wednesday to keep me up to speed. I appreciate this level of service, of course I'm disappointed that they didn't have the battery in stock, but I'm sure I'll get one fresh off the line, perhaps a 2014 model.

Once it's in, he told me they would keep the car for a couple days to do a couple charge/discharge cycles and test it out.

Smiley if you time it right, you should be able to get 2 battery replacements before the warranty ends..
phxsmiley said:
mark1313 said:
turbo2ltr said:

I brought mine in to have it checked out at the end of July, and they told me it would be the first week of September when the battery would come in. They must have only had a small stock of these batteries. A Nissan case number has been assigned, and a Nissan rep is calling me every Wednesday to keep me up to speed. I appreciate this level of service, of course I'm disappointed that they didn't have the battery in stock, but I'm sure I'll get one fresh off the line, perhaps a 2014 model.

Once it's in, he told me they would keep the car for a couple days to do a couple charge/discharge cycles and test it out.

I have Phx. downtown jury duty next week .. I estimate that it may be close to a 90 minute drive to get there ...Are there any safe spots for charging ? Im also worried about (copper thefts) and no chargers available and being stranded in the downtown area ...

mark1313 said:
I have Phx. downtown jury duty next week .. I estimate that it may be close to a 90 minute drive to get there ...Are there any safe spots for charging ? Im also worried about (copper thefts) and no chargers available and being stranded in the downtown area ...
ECOtality's visitor lot has L2 and DC-FC available. Its gates are open during business hours. Check either Plugshare or BlinkMap to find others. BlinkMap also shows whether they are being used or not in service as well.

kovalb said:
mark1313 said:
ECOtality's visitor lot has L2 and DC-FC available. Its gates are open during business hours. Check either Plugshare or BlinkMap to find others. BlinkMap also shows whether they are being used or not in service as well.

Last year I went to Jury duty downtown, then afterwards charged at the Ecotality DC charger. That works well, only a couple miles from the Jury parking, and it works fine as long as you get there before they close the gates, I think that's 4:30 They have multple L2 Blink units there also.

mark1313 said:
Smiley if you time it right, you should be able to get 2 battery replacements before the warranty ends..

Oh yes, I'm definitely thinking I might be able to get a second replacement before the warranty is up. This one didn't quite last 2 years. I'm one of the lucky few who actually bought their Leaf, and would be interested in keeping it a while. I usually keep my cars past 100K miles, not sure how this will work out with the Battery 'Rental' program - I know it's not quite the same, but it sure feels like making a car payment of $100/month after the car is paid off - hmm....

I have jury duty the next 6 weeks ..Starting 8-27-13 downtown Phx ... I saw a blue Leaf go by as I was waiting for the juror bus to arrive 8-22-13..

Interesting in how the downtown area has changed in the 20 years since I last visited it ... New buildings, buses, electric train, Smart cars that are police cars, electric cars and far less homeless people ...

I really like my new battery pack ..I can drive round trip from 151 ave Deer-Valley to down-town Phx with the AC on and still have 55 miles left from ECO mode driving ..

Good to hear the replacement battery pack is working well. I lost 3 bars and was heading to lose the 4th bar when I had the software update done. It has been about a month and I am still at 74%. Does anyone know if these new replacement battery packs are better in terms of capacity than the originals ?

myleaf said:
Good to hear the replacement battery pack is working well. I lost 3 bars and was heading to lose the 4th bar when I had the software update done. It has been about a month and I am still at 74%. Does anyone know if these new replacement battery packs are better in terms of capacity than the originals ?

Mark1313 seems to think so. His is probably much better than any of the 2013 Phoenix area ones. I've yet to see a 2013 with a full capacity pack. Mine was already down about 3% when new. It was manufactured in JAN and delivered at the end of FEB. I believe it sat at 100% charge at another dealer for at least a week.

My 100% charges are showing a (15%+) gain from the old battery pack, but that could be from the last silly software upgrade we had...

I will update my real M/kwh in Oct ..

Has anyone charged on Portland st downtown? Plugshare says there are 4 charger at 121 Portland and I could only find 2 at the east side of the parking garage. Both spots were , I thought, ICEd, but turns out it was two brand new Ford Fusion Plug-in hybrids. I never found the other two that they say are at the other end of the building. The description says "Building A and Building B, but I have no idea what they are talking about. There's only one 121 W. Portland...

Turbo I have 6 weeks to check stuff out in the down-town area ... Ill see if I can do a map on chargers in the area before my jury service is over ...

Update in comparing the old and new battery packs ... Im comparing what both batteries did when new after a fresh charge ..

The original battery would show the 140s when new and the replacement battery is now showing in the 160s.. Im currently avg 6.2 M/KWH driving around 80+ miles up and down Grand Ave ... With all the construction on Grand Ave my avg. speed is under 35 MPH ..

The Blink map shows that there are four with 'Roosevelt Square Company' at that address. They are Blink units, and it seems like Plugshare somehow imports those chargers. If they are wrong on the Blink map, then they'll likely be wrong in Plugshare.

I was in the shopping area on the north east corner of Shea and Tatum and there are two brand new FREE Volta Charging EVSEs across from Einstein Bagels. Looks like they aren't even finished installing them. One was lit up, one wasn't. Oddly enough the one that was lit up didn't work, and the one that wasn't, did.

I added it to plugshare.

20130902_191145.jpg

Back