HOW TO: Make the VSP (noisemaker) button default to off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You folks should be glad you aren't driving a Prius with a stubborn primary driver who won't get the settings changed. Imagine the VSP *inside the car*, beeping away *at you* while you are reversing, instead of warning those outside the car...

LeftieBiker said:
You folks should be glad you aren't driving a Prius with a stubborn primary driver who won't get the settings changed. Imagine the VSP *inside the car*, beeping away *at you* while you are reversing, instead of warning those outside the car...
Yeah, I never understood the interior reverse beep in the Prius. First thing I did when I got my '06 Prius was to disable it. At least they made that accessible.

LeftieBiker said:
I HATED that about the Prius. I never got it turned off because I never went back to dealer for anything, but I should have.

The reverse beep on the Leaf is simply embarrassing. I have no issue with the forward sound. Disabling it looks like a massive unnecessary hassle, though, if I go by first post.

I like the blind person warning but hate the reverse beep. I just used a normally closed relay connected to the backup light to open the speaker.

I had a guest here last weekend and I was surprised how bad the Leaf back up beep is. I have not heard it for over a year.

Ingineer said:
raja33 said:
Is there a simple way to cut the wire to the VSP speaker. I understand that it would disable charging and other beeps - I am of the opinion the fewer noises the better.

I looked under the hood and couldn't spot the speaker in the vicinity of the left front bumper.

My vehicle is leased, so I would like to reconnect the cut wire when I return the vehicle to Nissan
Just unplug the connector to the VSP. This would be good to do when you are in there to change the cabin filter. It's located over the glovebox housing, and you can access it by removing all the screws and pulling the glovebox housing out.

pic

VSP module is shown in red. Connector is yellow.

-Phil

Thanks Phil. This was very easy to do.

I pulled off the trim piece under the glovebox. Next, I took off 4 screws along the bottom of the glovebox, 2 screws inside the glovebox and the 4 screws along the top of the golvebox. The whole box came out and I found the VSP module with its connector above the cavity. Pulled it out and no more beeping when the car is put in reverse.

raja

GlennD said:
I like the blind person warning but hate the reverse beep. I just used a normally closed relay connected to the backup light to open the speaker.

I had a guest here last weekend and I was surprised how bad the Leaf back up beep is. I have not heard it for over a year.
Can you give me some more details on this one? I only want to disable the reverse beep, and keep all other sounds, sounds like you figured out how to do it.

In the relay pod behind the battery against the firewall the left most relay is for the backup light. I tapped the wire going to the lights to run a bosch style relay.

The speaker is forward of the drivers wheel well.. I spliced in some speaker wire in series with one wire. It is connected to the common and normally closed contacts of the relay.

The speaker operates normally and you hear beeps like the charging beep. When you backup 12V from the relay activates the bosch relay. The coil of the relay is connected to ground and the backup light wire.

It has been over a year and I do not remember what wire I tapped off of, sorry.

Ah, I understand your approach now, makes sense, I should be able to figure it out from here, thanks!

The circuit I described earlier in this post disables the Reverse beep and the VSP sound, but leaves all other beeps. You can still manually enable the VSP whenever you want it, but it defaults to off. The entire circuit is installed inside the VSP box.

Of course you'll need some familiarity with basic electronic components to construct it.

-Phil

That looks like a really clever but simple solution. While I'm pretty comfortable soldering my own DIY projects, I'm not brave enough to touch the PCBs in my car with a soldering gun (or set fire to the upper atmosphere).

Was it a big pain to remove that board? Wondering what the cost of that board is, maybe doing this mod is another service you can offer ;)

Anyways, I'll take a closer look at it this weekend, while I would prefer to go the analog circuit route, I might go the speaker-relay route if soldering is just too much of a risk.

Ingineer said:
The circuit I described earlier in this post disables the Reverse beep and the VSP sound, but leaves all other beeps. You can still manually enable the VSP whenever you want it, but it defaults to off. The entire circuit is installed inside the VSP box.

Of course you'll need some familiarity with basic electronic components to construct it.

-Phil
I hereby confirm that Phil's circuit works properly in the 2013 Leaf. I just moved the one I built from my now-gone '12 to my new '13. As his diagram shows, the module moved slightly, it now has 3 screws instead of 2 holding the case together (gasp!), and the circuit board is updated in ways you aren't likely to notice. This also means that anyone could also still implement a typical momentary switch to ground out pin 5 to toggle VSP on and off. I never want it on, so I just put in the circuit and call it a day...

I just acquired a 2013 Leaf SL. since I do not want the blind warning disabled but I hate the backup, I added a mute relay.

This time I cut the outside speaker wire from the module at pin 8. I added a pair of wires in series with pin 8. I then fed the wire through the loom grommet on the upper drivers side. The backup wire is a green wire coming out of the relay pod. I tapped into this wire and connected the wire to one of the coil wires of a "bosch" type relay. The other coil went to the chassis.The wires from the cut pin 8 go to common and the normally closed contact,

The module checks its connections at power up so so you can not just cut the wire if you want the internal warning beeps. I may be in the minority, but I think the low speed swishing sound is good.

Ingineer said:
raja33 said:
Is there a simple way to cut the wire to the VSP speaker. I understand that it would disable charging and other beeps - I am of the opinion the fewer noises the better.

I looked under the hood and couldn't spot the speaker in the vicinity of the left front bumper.

My vehicle is leased, so I would like to reconnect the cut wire when I return the vehicle to Nissan
Just unplug the connector to the VSP. This would be good to do when you are in there to change the cabin filter. It's located over the glovebox housing, and you can access it by removing all the screws and pulling the glovebox housing out.

pic

VSP module is shown in red. Connector is yellow.

-Phil

Easiest and cleanest way to do it. It is completely reversible with no sign on mod. Yes I did loose the start up sounds as well, not sure what other sounds I lost, but its much quitter now!

RLC said:
lion said:
Do you mind sharing the source for this switch (assuming it isn't a 1-time auction)? I need (yes need) to do the same mod, for the same reasons. Don't know what Nissan was thinking. With my Prius Plug-in, I could disable the reverse beep via OBDII, but haven't seen anyone mention this on these forums, so guessing the switch is the only option here.

Sure - though I have to warn you the hardware isn't cheap. The best price I've found is at the link below:

http://www.nissanpartsdiscounts.com/oem-part/nissan/leaf/2011/sl/electric/body-hardware/cluster-and-switches/switch/25172-3na0b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The part number is the last section of the URL -- a Google search will turn up other vendors.

I don't mind running my own wires behind the dash, but I'll need to know which pins (in addition to #5) I need to attach the switch to.
Did you end up buying that switch? Would love to hear/see the details.

Can this 25172-3NA0B Digital Sound switch even work now? Wasn't this disabled by software update on older models as per Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act of 2010? Seems that it would be disabled on newer models as well.

I haven't yet had the latest firmware flash. I'll be disappointed if that breaks my hack (the OP), but such is the nature of a hack. I'll report back when I have it done.

This forum thread is incredibly useful. We have a 2013 model. I pulled the VSP module, opened it up, soldered a wire onto the back side of Pin 5, ran the wire out of a hole in the corner of the case as I reassembled the case, reinstalled in in the car, and touched the wire to ground. It worked! I do have one new bit of information. On the 2013 model the warning light is not in the instrument cluster as reported above (for 2012?) but is now next to the "passenger airbag off" warning light in the center console above the 12V power out.

Now that I have confirmed that it works, I'm going to order the 2011 OEM switch. I know it is a waste of money but this is leased car and I want it to look sort of original. Once I get my wife used to the switch, I may try to get her to go for the mod to automatically push the button on startup. Its her car and her thinking is the law made the noisemaker mandatory for a reason. I, on the other hand, can't stand it.

One quick question. When I install the switch, is there any reason to run a second wire back to the ground wire at the VSP module (Pin 1)? Or can I run the switch ground wire to any nearby ground?

Thanks for an amazing forum.

- Bruce

Back