Coquihalla Pass

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ataman said:
Based on carwings, it is not possible... It does not have any historical data, does not look like anyone tried before.

I am going to try it once the fast chargers are installed at hope and merritt, or maybe if i have a whole weekend free...
I believe the answer was already provided above. So long the battery temperature is around 20 C and you can keep the speed below 90 km/h at all times, you will make it. This includes the elevation gain going the right way. If you had an iOS device, try the "LEAF Energy" app.

surfingslovak said:
ataman said:
Based on carwings, it is not possible... It does not have any historical data, does not look like anyone tried before.

I am going to try it once the fast chargers are installed at hope and merritt, or maybe if i have a whole weekend free...
I believe the answer was already provided above. So long the battery temperature is around 20 C and you can keep the speed below 90 km/h at all times, you will make it. This includes the elevation gain going the right way. If you had an iOS device, try the "LEAF Energy" app.

Yes, i did read all the comments, and it looks possible. Like I said, I am either going to wait till L3 stations are installed or wait for a weekend where I can spend up to 6 hours charging at Hope, Merritt and minimum 2 hours in Abbotsford each way...

johnrhansen said:
How do you make that profile? That's a great way to do trip planning!

Google Image Search :)

However you can use this website for similar purposes, http://www.jurassictest.ch/GR/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ataman said:
I guess my first post was not clear when I said "to Merritt, BC from Hope,BC"

Actually, it was pretty clear. It's just that I have a reading comprehension problem. Sorry about that.

Yes, that looks to risky from Merrit to Hope. You hope to see a L3 installed along the route? How many L3's are there already existing in BC.

East of your province, I am only aware of one that's open to the public in ALL of Canada.

Berlino said:
Yes, that looks to risky from Merrit to Hope. You hope to see a L3 installed along the route. How many L3's are there already existing in BC.
Why would it be risky?

Berlino said:
ataman said:
I guess my first post was not clear when I said "to Merritt, BC from Hope,BC"

Actually, it was pretty clear. It's just that I have a reading comprehension problem. Sorry about that.

Yes, that looks to risky from Merrit to Hope. You hope to see a L3 installed along the route? How many L3's are there already existing in BC.

East of your province, I am only aware of one that's open to the public in ALL of Canada.

The thing is, there is not even 110V between Hope and Merritt :) I am thinking of trying with a mobile generator just in case of an emergency, no one has done it before...

There are 13 X L3's planned however only 1 operational at the moment. 2 others have been installed but not yet operational. US is much ahead of us... I drove to Seattle last weekend and used 3 different L3's I was jealous!

Berlino said:
surfingslovak said:
Why would it be risky?

He might attempt lowering speed to increase range, but on mountain highways this can lead to being tail-gated by angry SUV's and pickups.

Its a 2 lane highway so I can always remain on the right lane, and it is not a very busy highway...

It is risky and every single tool tells me i can not do it unless I drive 70 km/hr

Berlino said:
surfingslovak said:
Why would it be risky?

He might attempt lowering speed to increase range, but on mountain highways this can lead to being tail-gated by angry SUV's and pickups.

Also, as you can see from the elevation profile, I can make a U-Turn and head back from the summit. I will make it back to Hope for sure, in case things are not looking good...

ataman said:
[The thing is, there is not even 110V between Hope and Merritt :) I am thinking of trying with a mobile generator just in case of an emergency, no one has done it before...
I believe that there are several posters here that drive similar or longer distances in mountainous terrain, but they are not doing it at 110 km/h (~ 70 mph). GPS Visualizer is having trouble plotting the entire trip Hope to Merritt for some reason. Instead, I plotted a trip someone I know has done when his LEAF lost between 7% to 10% in capacity. He went over mountain roads with light traffic though. Can you go safely 90 km/h? If not, then I wouldn't recommend this trip without recharging. Is there a camp ground or an RV park along the route? If you could find something with 50 amp service or a shop with a welder outlet, you would be in business. I think your LEAF has the 6 kW onboard charger.

19NwhSC

surfingslovak said:
ataman said:
[The thing is, there is not even 110V between Hope and Merritt :) I am thinking of trying with a mobile generator just in case of an emergency, no one has done it before...
I believe that there are several posters here that drive similar or longer distances in mountainous terrain, but they are not doing it at 110 km/h (~ 70 mph). GPS Visualizer is having trouble plotting the entire trip Hope to Merritt some some reason. Instead, I plotted a trip someone I know has done when his LEAF was down between 7% to 10% in capacity. He went over mountain roads with light traffic though. Can you go safely 90 km/h? If not, then I wouldn't recommend this trip without recharging. Is there a camp group or an RV park along the route?

I can go as slow as 60 km/hr on the hill, this is what I am planning on doing. It is a 4 lane highway (2 lane per direction) usually the right lane is for big semi-trucks who climb to the summit at low speed, perfect for the LEAF!

On the highway, there are no towns or any electrical service. Roads signs etc are solar powered...

I am not looking to do this trip because I need to get to Merritt, we do have a ICE car as well. This is just for the challenge. By having a portable generator for emergency, having the option to make a u-turn and head back to Hope before or at the summit are my safety I think i am pretty much guaranteed not to get stranded...

I hope to try it by the end of september.. I will report back for sure!

ataman said:
I can go as slow as 60 km/hr on the hill, this is what I am planning on doing. It is a 4 lane highway (2 lane per direction) usually the right lane is for big semi-trucks who climb to the summit at low speed, perfect for the LEAF!

On the highway, there are no towns or any electrical service. Roads signs etc are solar powered...

I am not looking to do this trip because I need to get to Merritt, we do have a ICE car as well. This is just for the challenge. By having a portable generator for emergency, having the option to make a u-turn and head back to Hope before or at the summit are my safety I think i am pretty much guaranteed not to get stranded...

I hope to try it by the end of september.. I will report back for sure!
Good luck! As long as you can keep the speed down, you should be fine on this trip. Be sure not to use A/C or the heater much or at all, if you can help it. Also, it would help if the road was dry and there was not significant wind. Lot to ask in the mountains, obviously, but under ideal conditions, you could go as fast as 90 km/h. The LEAF is a pretty efficient vehicle, I think you might be pleasantly surprised with its performance. There is an older thread with some information on how to charge with a portable generator. That might be indeed a good backup.

Click to open

Berlino said:
TonyWilliams said:
See range chart to see how I calculated this.

Thanks for all the work you've done on the range chart and elsewhere.

Did I read that the Green Race range calculator uses your charts?....

In this case of Coquihlla pass, Green Race projects using 99.7% of battery capacity at 100km/h.

You're welcome. I did email those guys a long time ago when I saw some of their work. If they implemented my data, that's great (and what it's for).

The fact that they were 99.7% of my guess seems to imply they do !! The iPhone / iPad app "LEAF Energy" uses my data.

I have looked at doing this trip, and there have been several things that eventually stopped me from attempting it.

1. 60km minimum speed limit on the Coquihalla. average speed 120km
2. no electrical services available. We had several search parties go and look for open sockets, or light fixtures that could be opened up and install a 120V through the light socket.
3. a minimum of 10 degree Celsius temperature drop at the summit.
4. we have a Prius that is much better suited for the task.

Last night I drove the same route with an ICE. I kept looking for power along the route and the only candidate I found is Coquihalla Lake Lodge.

I would love to see them install a L2, even a NEMA plug or 500$ 20A charger.

I do not think they will just do it out of their kindness of their hearth. However I would willing to chip in some $$ for their cost.

If you like join the effort please comment / send me a message.

This charger is not critical right now but once the DCQC in Hope and Meritt is installed, it will be huge!

Well.......some of the mystery can end now. I bought a Leaf last week and had to bring it over the Coquihalla to get it home to the Okanagan. So I went for it this past week. Expecting I MAY not make it, I went through the charts and tried to make the best go of it I could. Looking at the range and speeds, it looked like 70 km/hr may do it, so I decided with 60km/hr to make sure.

If you just want to know the result, you can skip all the details and go to the end of this post....otherwise read on.

With some hope in my heart, I left Hope BC, with a FULL charge from the charge station across from Blue Moose coffee house. Some pertinent stats for you calculators out there.

2011 Nissan Leaf, USED
Range: 12 bars and 161km showing
Temperature: 4 degrees
Roads: Wet throughout the trip, a few kilometers in the higher elevations of slush outside the usual wheel paths.
Speed: 60 km/hr (the whole time on cruise)
Climate control: off

Armed with the largest tea I could buy at the coffee shop to keep me warm, I headed in the most direct line possible to Merritt.

I had a light misty rain for the first approx 20 km followed by a light dusting of snow as I gained altitude.

By the time I hit the tunnel on the big hill it was -2. The power was draining rapidly and I started having a sense I may not make it by this time and was wondering how far I would be from Merritt when it gave out and how long it would take for the tow truck to show up. Also, I started to wonder how cold I would be by then as I was already a bit chilled having been in a heatless car for over an hour.

When I hit the summit the range indicator said I it only had 18 km range and I was only 44.5 km into a 125 km trip. Not looking good at all. Then some good news. I travelled another approximate 10 km and my range not only didn't drop, but went up to 29km by the time I hit the washrroms just before the Britton Creek rest stop. I stopped there briefly to take care of some quick business, then moved on.

When I got to the 84km mark, I decided to slow from 60km/hr to 50km/hr to be even more efficient. I only had 17km left according to the guess-o-meter. Warnings had been going off for a little while and the range went from 7km to no longer reading a range. I ran it for another couple kilometers and pulled off the road where there was a good shoulder and long straight stretch for cars to see me from a distance. I never hit turtle mode, but I didn't feel it was a safe place to be going super slow and in the car.

I was looking about 15km shy of the mark (basically the Comstock Road exit).

Would I do it again? In the winter, never. I was staring out my rear mirror 50% of the time and turning on hazards as cars came by. Twice I pulled over into the shoulder as the cars didn't seem to judge my slower speed well and were slow to move over. Once it was a big truck and a little unnerving.

In the summer? I would love to try it again. Maybe with 15-20 degree higher temperatures with no rain or slush, the battery would be more efficient and the work would be less and it can be done. Practically, I won't attempt it. I wouldn't take my Nissan on a trip to Vancouver as its not that practical especially with the slower speeds needed to 'make it. Hopefully someone else can give it a go.

So in the end, so far the answer is no....it couldn't be done, at least in the conditions described above.

I'm typing this post right now on my phone in Merritt while charging my car after making it over the Coq tonight. Similarly, I drove very conservatively. No faster than 65 on the climb, and down to 50 and even 40 in the three lane climbing sections. Hazards on of course. I had 43% charge remaining by the time I got to the bathrooms near the old toll booth (about 55km in). Temp started at about 10c in Hope, quickly down to 4 and then 2 at the summit area. I stopped long enlighten to find a plug in the bathroom building. If you pull your car right up to the door such that there is only a foot or so of clearance with it open, the stock cord will just reach the outlet under the phone. I only stayed 15 mins.
, long enough to run some numbers and convince myself I would make it! Car showed 35km of range at that point. I reset the km/kWh meter on the navi and averaged 12 on my way down the hill and into Merritt by keeping it to about 70, and then taking the Coldwater exit at about 80 km mark. Much safer to go slow on this road. I ended the trip with 15% charge and 6.9 km/kWh total trip efficiency.

Of course now that I'm in Merritt at 12:30 am, the quick charger is not working! Murphy strikes again I guess.

Anyone trying this should be aware of the risk of travelling much slower than other traffic - don't try on a busy day, use your hazards, and watch traffic closely coming up behind you.

Back