ELM327-type OBD Bluetooth devices for Android Apps

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These type of "sealed" plastic cases can usually be opened by taking an acetone soaked q-tip and running it around the seam, wait a minute or so, then repeat. It will come apart easily after that. Reseal w a bit of acetone. Sometimes one q-tip treatment works, occasionally more than two.

I tried this one today:

http://amzn.com/B00BL3KQZO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems to work fine with the Leaf Battery App, has a power switch, and is small enough to plug into the port without being in the way.

No problem pairing with my Android phone.

I haven't determined if the switch is for bluetooth only, or for the whole device.

garygid said:
Pairing... the most frequent problem area.

The next most frequent is that the device paired Ok,
but the connection between the app and the device
is frequently lost, and re-connection is difficult.

1. With the app closed, use the Android system Settings, and tap Bluetooth
to enter the BT management, ready to turn Bluetooth On.

2. "Start" the car and let it get Ready to drive. Turn Bluetooth On in your phone.

3. Then, quickly plug the ELM327 device into the car's OBD connector.
Assuming no BT devices have been discovered or paired, the phone searches
for discoverable BT devices. Otherwise, ask the phone to search.

4. When the phone discovers a new (new MAC address) ELM327-type Bluetooth
device (often called OBDII), it appears on a list, as not yet paired.
Quickly tap the item on the list, enter the pairing code (most often 1234, rarely 0000,
and very rarely 6789), and attempt to pair with the ELM327 device.
If successful, the listing will show paired, but not connected.
If not successful, try to enter the pairing code again.

5. If the second try fails, unplug the ELM327 device dongle and start step 3 again.
Sometimes the pairing must be done within the first few (maybe 30) seconds
after the dongle is plugged in.

6. Successfully paired, you can turn your phone's Bluetooth Off, since
the LEAF Battery app will turn it On when needed.
You can now run the LEAF Battery app and you should see live data
in just a few seconds.

---------
Notes: If you have trouble, try to get with another LEAF Battery app user,
and see their system working on their car, try their system on your car,
try your phone with their ELM327 device, and finally try your ELM327 device again.

The most often problem is a stubborn ELM327-type clone device, even an
"identical" one from the same supplier. Sometimes you will get different
circuitry inside the device, or different firmware, in devices from the same vendor.

Clone firmware 1.5 is to be preferred, I think.
Genuine ELM327 devices have 1.4b as their latest version, I think.

I can't get the 6th point. I make all the process but when I turn the app on, it doesn't connect. It says "connecting 2 ELM" and "searching 4 ELM"......

sput said:
I can't get the 6th point. I make all the process but when I turn the app on, it doesn't connect. It says "connecting 2 ELM" and "searching 4 ELM"......

you have to enable BT auto connect in settings.

up until recently I had been using my old Motorola Droid on the old LEAF batt app because my Droid Bionic would not stay connected. but recent upgrades seem to have fixed the problem so I went with the LEAF Spy Pro and so far so good but every once in a while I still have issues connecting. a reboot of the phone fixes it 90% of the time. the other 10% is unplugging the ELM

garygid said:
The 4 common sizes of the ELM327-type clone:
(I will insert pictures soon.)
1. Mini... 2. Short... 3. Medium (or Stubby)... 4. Long
You said "soon". Are you by chance a software guy? :D

When I was reading these threads and shopping around, I had difficulty sorting out what was "stubby" and what was "short", etc., and could have used some pictures. To that end, I took pictures of the three I bought. I still don't know which is which, but I'm guessing these represent the three smallest (numbers 1-3). I can label them once I know. And you might like to swipe a photo and post it up at the front.

[Edit: Got the sizes confirmed, and labeled the photo.]

Here is a mugshot:
elm_sizes.jpg
Side view for comparison:
elm_sideview.jpg
Standing on their connectors. If the plug bottoms out, this will determine how far they stick out.
elm_inverted.jpg
What I found in my research is that the shortest ones are "24 mm" (hence, an inch) long. This being measured from the back of the plug. The next size up is "37 mm", so, an inch and a half. That last one I bought mainly because it looked large enough to take apart and do hacking on. The "favorite" per discussion on MNL, the SimValley, was listed as "not available" the entire time I was trying to decide. I see it's available again.

Yes, mini, "short", and "medium" sizes,
you are correct, thanks.

The mini is almost difficult to grab hold of
to remove. The "short" barely sticks out.
The "medium" sticks out noticeably, and
is easy to modify and grab. For my legs
(on a tall guy), it does not stick out far
enough to hit my leg.

ObiQuiet said:
I tried this one today:

http://amzn.com/B00BL3KQZO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems to work fine with the Leaf Battery App, has a power switch, and is small enough to plug into the port without being in the way.

No problem pairing with my Android phone.

I haven't determined if the switch is for bluetooth only, or for the whole device.
From the Amazon reviews, it seems like the switch only turns off the Bluetooth.

I've been way too busy to dig into this subject much but what is a relatively cheap and recommended Bluetooth dongle to use? I did find the list at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index.php?title=Leaf_Battery_Application#Clone_ELM327_Bluetooth_Scanner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. For me, I'd want it to be able to read real gids, have it automatically turn off when the car is off (to avoid draining the 12 volt) and not be a piece of crap.

My non-primary smartphone is a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4.

I assemble my own desktop/tower PCs but I'm definitely the wrong guy to ask to do any soldering if the dongle needs to be modified.

(Using the app isn't that important to me. My Leaf is on a 2 year lease, I have the % SoC screen since mine's a '13 and I normally don't really push it, in terms of range.)

I just picked up a "mini" Bluetooth ELM327 device. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008U1MOM8/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can connect to it and execute commands, but I can't seem to get any useful CAN messages. Here's a typical session:

>AT Z
ELM327 v1.5

>ATDP
ISO 15765-4 (CAN 11/500)

>at rv
11.7V

>01 00
NO DATA

>ATMA
FF F0 FF 00 FF FF <DATA ERROR
42 64 <DATA ERROR
00 FF
00 00 00 00 00 00 52 D8
00 00 00 00 00 00 52 D9
00 30 61
FF C0 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 04 60
00 00 00 00 20 00 60
0B 00 00 07 7B <DATA ERROR
00 00 00 AA 0F 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 0F
00 00 00 00 00 00 2F 00
00 00 00 03 D9
00 00
BUFFER FULL
I've fooled around with filters (ATCM, ATCF) to try to limit the traffic and I either get "NO DATA" or gibberish with error messages.

I used the ATPPS command to look at the registers and see that C0 is set to 68, indicating that the ELM chip's baud rate is 38400 (assuming the baud rate pin is pulled high). I understand the CAR-CAN bus spews a message every 10 milliseconds, but that's only about 20000 bits per second after translating to ASCII and adding spaces and CR. So that should be OK.

Am I missing something, or is this device just not working?

If you don't filter (or don't filter correctly) messages come in a lot faster than 100 per second. True the fastest message is at a 10 msec rate but there are many such messages not just one. I count 10 at that rate (so 1000 per second) plus another 9 at 20 msec (50 per second) (1000 + 450 ) and there are 40 msec, 60 msec, 100 msec and 500 msec messages. So max unfiltered is around 2000 frames per second. Say around 480,000 bits per second if you leave spaces and add in headers so you know what you are getting.

Max rate an OBDII BT/WiFI adapter can handle is around 100-200 frames per second. But you'll need to send only the data you really need (drop the spaces) and have the adapter set correctly. Even at that some Phones will get read errors after a while and lock up the phone's Bluetooth code requiring a phone reboot.

I ran a quick test a few months ago where I swapped out the Bluetooth module for one programmed for 115,200 baud but did not see any real improvement in speed. I need to repeat that test as I now have better tools for stress testing and measuring data and error rate. DO NOT try to change the baud rate yourself as both the ELM327 code and the Bluetooth transceiver must be changed at the same time which is not possible without splitting them up first. If you just use the ELM327 commands to change baud rate you will "brick" your adapter.

I have been testing a WiFi EM327 and although no faster I have not seen the read failure that can lead to locking up the phone's Bluetooth code. They do take more power but some come with a switch that for the one I have drops the power down from 120 ma to a really low 0.5 ma.

So no real advantage using the Wifi vs bluetooth?

What is the latest "best ELM327" to buy that has been found to be reliable? I have a long, long one that I accidentally kick out of the socket all the time. It would be nice to have a real small one that is less obtrusive.

Turbo3 said:
If you don't filter (or don't filter correctly) messages come in a lot faster than 100 per second.
Thanks, that was a big help. I've now figured out that the Wikipedia page on how OBDII CAN messages work (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs) is completely wrong for the Leaf: CAN ID values aren't ECU identifiers, they are message IDs. By selectively filtering for each CAN ID (ATCM 7FF then ATCF nnn where goes from 001 to 7FF, each followed by ATMA), I've found 49 messages that happen at least twice per second and together total over 1,700 messages per second.

Now the LEAF messages documented at <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An7gtcYL2Oy0dGRaSWl6VTV2eXBQMy1ON2xZSzlMUXc#gid=1> make sense. I can see the odometer value!

Thanks for the help!

tomsax said:
Turbo3 said:
If you don't filter (or don't filter correctly) messages come in a lot faster than 100 per second.
Thanks, that was a big help. I've now figured out that the Wikipedia page on how OBDII CAN messages work (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs) is completely wrong for the Leaf: CAN ID values aren't ECU identifiers, they are message IDs. By selectively filtering for each CAN ID (ATCM 7FF then ATCF nnn where goes from 001 to 7FF, each followed by ATMA), I've found 49 messages that happen at least twice per second and together total over 1,700 messages per second.

Now the LEAF messages documented at <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An7gtcYL2Oy0dGRaSWl6VTV2eXBQMy1ON2xZSzlMUXc#gid=1> make sense. I can see the odometer value!

Thanks for the help!
If you are just going to filter one message ID it is easier to use ATCRA nnn. That one automatically sets the mask to 0x7FF so you only need to provide the message ID.

Okay, so I am new to this thread, I am trying to set up my OBD II scanner on Bluetooth on my 2011 Nissan leaf and I am having problems. First, I am using an Amazon Kindle HDX and I have the light version of Leaf Spy downloaded and I am using a Seagate scan OBD scan tool with a 2.1 version ELM 327. I show in my settings that I am connected to Bluetooth, the problem is with the app, it goes looking for EOM then connect to EL M and every once in a while it will say waiting and in one half of a second it will count up to 11 and then say retry ELM 11.

Also in the setting there is a drop-down box that allows you to choose port one through 30 or choose secure, in some of the Amazon reviews and referring to a leaf, some have said it works on port 12. I have gone down the list twice and wasted a lot of time. I was hoping to get some feedback on this thread because it is listed in the user based manual, I have had no such luck and was hoping one of you leave gurus would have an answer and help me out. Pretty please and many thanks.

On a sidenote, for my iPhone and Leafstat app , I have an ELM 327 interface that uses Wi-Fi and that works great with my iPhone but I have no option to use it with the leaf spy app.

fishhead1227 said:
Okay, so I am new to this thread, I am trying to set up my OBD II scanner on Bluetooth on my 2011 Nissan leaf and I am having problems. First, I am using an Amazon Kindle HDX and I have the light version of Leaf Spy downloaded and I am using a Seagate scan OBD scan tool with a 2.1 version ELM 327. I show in my settings that I am connected to Bluetooth, the problem is with the app, it goes looking for EOM then connect to EL M and every once in a while it will say waiting and in one half of a second it will count up to 11 and then say retry ELM 11.

Also in the setting there is a drop-down box that allows you to choose port one through 30 or choose secure, in some of the Amazon reviews and referring to a leaf, some have said it works on port 12. I have gone down the list twice and wasted a lot of time. I was hoping to get some feedback on this thread because it is listed in the user based manual, I have had no such luck and was hoping one of you leave gurus would have an answer and help me out. Pretty please and many thanks.

On a sidenote, for my iPhone and Leafstat app , I have an ELM 327 interface that uses Wi-Fi and that works great with my iPhone but I have no option to use it with the leaf spy app.
If it is counting up to 11 then you are connected to the ELM and are using the correct port number. Is the Leaf turned on?

I will be updating Amazon with the latest version of Leaf Spy Lite that does support Wifi.

Here is a screenshot from my Kindle. Port was set to 1 which is what I think you should try first. I will upload this version of Leaf Spy Lite tonight but it will take a while to work through Amazon's release process. The only ports that actually have a chance of working are 1, 16 and secure. So those are the only choices in the new version of Leaf Spy Lite

Update: Just uploaded latest version of Leaf Spy Lite 0.29.19 to Amazon. Will be available for install once Amazon get through with their checks and releases it to the store.

Update 2: Latest version is now available for download from Amazon store.

drNnkJ.png

kevinleaf said:
... What is the latest "best ELM327" to buy that has been found to be reliable? I have a long, long one that I accidentally kick out of the socket all the time. It would be nice to have a real small one that is less obtrusive.
Hello Kevin,
I highly recommend Vgate's iCar2 Bluetooth OBDII scanner. It paired with my phone in about 10 seconds time, it turns off automatically after 30 minutes of inactivity, and it has very reliable Bluetooth connection. LEAF Spy Pro reports 100% good connections after one week heavy use (I am scanning every trip, and I drive about 80 km daily :cool: ).

The OBD port is not designed to have constantly plugged-in device in it (its wobbling), but I cut a rectangular opening in the lid--precisely with the dimensions of the iCar2--and now the scanner is very firmly fixed in place. It looks like this:

Well that was a bold move: cutting into your car like that to fit a particular adapter.
Thanks for the advice! I got the ScanTool MX and have been very happy with it. It is quite small so I don't bump it, and hardly ever have to unplug it.
I will look more into the device you mentioned. I'm glad it is working well for you. If you would like to see the data logged from Leaf Spy Pro graphically check out http://www.leaflogger.com/Login.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and request a login.

Agondonter said:
The OBD port is not designed to have constantly plugged-in device in it (its wobbling) ...
and you also don't want to be plugging/unplugging something from it constantly. I picked up this low-profile right-angle Y splitter based upon a suggestion here or in the wiki; with it, I can have the OBDII adapter tucked away out of side without stress on the port.

Back