surfingslovak
Vendor

Re: best charger option for a 2013 Leaf S with Quick Charge

Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:28 pm

cwerdna wrote:You're looking for an EVSE, NOT a charger.
Right. I could live with "station", which is a short form of "charging station", too.

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:26 pm

planet4ever wrote:
LeftieBiker wrote:
planet4ever wrote:Some people do manage a 40 mile commute with 120v charging only, but it takes some planning and a firm resolution to avoid high freeway speeds.
Now if by " freeway speeds" you mean 65-70MPH, you need to specify that
By "high freeway speeds" I meant 70 mph and up, speeds which are very common in the San Jose area the OP is from, especially if you use the diamond lanes that the CA white stickers give LEAFs access to.
cwerdna wrote:^^^
Yep. Most highways around here have a 65 mph speed limit and I end up doing 68-72 mph to keep up w/traffic but often at 70+ mph, and sometimes briefly at 75 mph.
Yup. California is the land of "10 over." On freeways it's more like 15 over. When I was in the San Jose area a few weeks ago, 75-80 was quite common on area freeways unless traffic prevented it, or a marked police cruiser was present.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

johnrhansen
Delivery Date: 15 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 409445

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:01 pm

I just bought my EVSE and put it in myself. My AV station cost 800, and just had to run 10 feet of conduit, so the wiring didn't cost much. But if you use any 240 volt EVSE you are going to need wiring for it anyway, unless you want to disconnect your dryer every time you charge your car.
2013 S model with quick charge package.
AV 30 amp level 2 EVSE, Bosch PowerMax 30 Amp EVSE, EVSE upgraded EVSE.

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:01 pm

Yup. California is the land of "10 over." On freeways it's more like 15 over. When I was in the San Jose area a few weeks ago, 75-80 was quite common on area freeways unless traffic prevented it, or a marked police cruiser was present.
So you're talking about speeding for long distances. "Freeways" are not always 80MPH autobahns and Leaf drivers tend to be a bit more responsible. Around here we have people driving 80 too - and making life harder for those of us trying to drive at a reasonable speed, like 60. So when you talk about 40 mile round trips commutes being a problem, please remember to add "when driving 70MPh or more." And I'll add, when I say a 40 mile commute is easy with L-1 "unless you drive too fast for safety." I wonder how many of the Ecotopia blow-outs are heat-related...
Scarlet Ember 2018 Leaf SL W/ Pro Pilot
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 3 EZIP E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

RonDawg
Delivery Date: 11 Jan 2013
Leaf Number: 027089

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:38 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
So you're talking about speeding for long distances. "Freeways" are not always 80MPH autobahns and Leaf drivers tend to be a bit more responsible. Around here we have people driving 80 too - and making life harder for those of us trying to drive at a reasonable speed, like 60. So when you talk about 40 mile round trips commutes being a problem, please remember to add "when driving 70MPh or more." And I'll add, when I say a 40 mile commute is easy with L-1 "unless you drive too fast for safety." I wonder how many of the Ecotopia blow-outs are heat-related...
Not just long distances. Californians like to speed, especially on freeways. Californians tend to use freeways over surface streets even if they are not going that far. Sometimes they'll enter a freeway just to exit again at the next ramp even if a parallel surface street would have gotten them to the same place just as quickly. You may not see that behavior where you are, possibly because of tolling or because the ramps are miles apart, but it's fairly common in the urbanized areas of California.

I prefer to stay off the freeway if possible, and if I don't have a choice I will stay in the right lane and "hang out with the truckers." For that reason you will rarely see me in the carpool lane unless the regular lanes are already going slow due to traffic volumes.

On larger arterial surface streets, it's also very common for me to be "blown past" by someone going well above the posted limit, only for me to catch up to them at the next light.
Blue Ocean 2012 Leaf SV, lost that 1st bar at 34 months/26,435 miles. Lease returned 2 months later. Final LeafStat figures: 225 Gids, 17.44 kWH, SOC 91.89%, SOH 82.36%, 69.49% HX, 54.57 Ahr, battery temp 61.8 F.
Now driving a 2015 VW eGolf SEL.

99nissanmaxima
Delivery Date: 07 Sep 2013
Leaf Number: 415061

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:56 pm

sorry but i don't have my terminology right and i really appreciate your help.

is EVSE the full wall mounted charger with the "gun" thingie at the end that goes directly into my car charging port. right? and we can buy that for 500-600 bucks? if yes, which one please.

and is that what requires a 300 dollar permit and a lot of electrician fees?
johnrhansen wrote:I just bought my EVSE and put it in myself. My AV station cost 800, and just had to run 10 feet of conduit, so the wiring didn't cost much. But if you use any 240 volt EVSE you are going to need wiring for it anyway, unless you want to disconnect your dryer every time you charge your car.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:12 pm

99nissanmaxima wrote:sorry but i don't have my terminology right and i really appreciate your help.

is EVSE the full wall mounted charger with the "gun" thingie at the end that goes directly into my car charging port. right? and we can buy that for 500-600 bucks? if yes, which one please.

and is that what requires a 300 dollar permit and a lot of electrician fees?
Yes, doesn't matter if it's wall-mounted or not. If it's for L1 or L2 (120 to 240 volt) charging, it's an EVSE.

As for $500-$600, I mentioned it when I said "There are some cheaper EVSEs like http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12744" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the Clipper Creek LCS-25." I have no experience w/them. Wall-mounted EVSEs used to typically run around $1K for the hardware only. Glad there's finally some price competition.

As for $300 permit, the cost depends on the city. It seems to be $310 for San Jose, CA. By seems, it's a long story. :( As for electrician fees, depends on the amount of work needed.

You could apply for http://evsolutions.avinc.com/products/c ... y_criteria" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. All you'd need to pay for is the permit (+ any fees for pulling the permit by the contractor) and if any custom work is required beyond what's provided.

I posted about my experience at http://www.myrav4ev.com/forum/viewtopic ... 7261#p7261" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I can't find my post now but basically, I leased at end of July, when the "charger" :roll: count at the site was 0. I brought in the PDF to the dealer about the program. Saleswoman basically said the info on the site (at the time) was wrong and it's pissing off Nissan (messing up their sales) and they're trying to get it changed. Anyhow, I got approved, but it took almost a month for approval.

Contractor that AV uses has emailed me and spoken to me and for San Jose, they say it will be $360 for the permit ($310 to the city and $50 for the electrician to do the drawing, load calculations, etc.) She said that SJ is a really expensive city.

Trying to get an answer out of the city over the phone was a big waste of time. I finally got a human and she didn't even know but could lookup how much they'd be charging others: $309.66.
Last edited by cwerdna on Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium (lease over)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

planet4ever
Delivery Date: 02 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1537

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:13 pm

99nissanmaxima wrote:For folks who are using the Berkeley upgrade, did you get a new plug installed in your garage? my dryer is in the laundry room that is next to the garage but definitely not in the garage...

BTW - i was on the original list of leaf (2-3 years ago) and had qualified for ecotality free charger. i assume that i can't avail that now right? if anyone knows differently, can you please share your tips and tricks.
I was offered a "free" EVSE when I got my car, but I turned it down because
  1. I had already purchased an EVSE Upgrade (new ones were much cheaper in those days before Nissan doubled the price of their trickle charging cord).
  2. Ecotality had given me a $2000 installation quote the previous year based on the standard type of wiring from my distribution panel.
  3. I ignored the city inspection (shhh!) and ran two feet of wiring from the house side of my solar panel breakers through 20A breakers in a new subpanel and to the new L6-20 outlet.
Ray
End of April 2013: Traded my 2011 SL for a 2013 S with charge pkg.

surfingslovak
Vendor

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:33 pm

cwerdna wrote:As for $500-$600, I mentioned it when I said "There are some cheaper EVSEs like http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12744" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the Clipper Creek LCS-25." I have no experience w/them.

I had the LCS-25 for a brief period of time. These are great and well-built EVSEs. One caveat is that they only deliver about 20 amps to the vehicle, even though they are marketed with 25 amps. Turns out that this is the input, not the output, and the manufacturer is taking some liberties with their marketing. That said, the LCS-25 could work well, even though it does not charge a 2013 LEAF with 6 kW onboard charger at the full speed. I ended up returning this EVSE, because it would not work with a regular 120V wall outlet. Compared to EVSE Upgrade, this is a serious shortfall, if you would like to use it on an occasional trip, and avoid hauling two EVSEs instead of just one. Personally, if I was in your situation, I would get the portable EVSE upgraded and have an electrician install an additional 240V outlet in your garage. Much like what Ray described above. I don't think that you will be able to beat the utility and the overall price of this solution.

Reddy
Delivery Date: 18 Aug 2011
Leaf Number: 006828

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:25 pm

99nissanmaxima wrote:BTW - this forum rocks. great feedback.
Yes it does. Spend a good weekend reading and you'll learn much more and be able to ask better questions. Here are several threads that have provided this information many times before:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 35#p247635
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 10#p313748
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/wiki/index. ... ing_System
Reddy
2011 SL; 9 bar, 45.80 AHr; 45,000 mi; rcv'd Aug 18, 2011
Long: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... al#p226115"
Cold: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p243033"

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”