Using clone ELM327 Bluetooth OBDII adapter with Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Devin said:
kevinleaf said:
I have multi window support and I'd like to try it out. What is the latest version of the app now? I tried to do an upgrade on my v0.26n9 and in Dropbox I see "Beta test is over".
Me too! My ELM327 came yesterday and I'd love to try out the app. I have a Galaxy S3 and a Galaxy Note 8.0, both of which support multi-window. I saw the app is going to the Play store, though, any word on when that might be available?

My ELM 327 came today and I can't find a way to download. Do I have to wait for Play Store?

Is 0.26c still the latest non-beta version?

If not, will there be a way for people who have donated to update without paying via GoogleStore?

Edit: I purchased the app on GooglePlay, notified Jim, and he refunded the appropriate amount in less than five minutes.

Unfortunately Google has no way for me to do that. Even I had to pay when I downloaded the beta version for testing from Play Store.

People who have previously donated and then purchase the new version from Google Play just need to send me an email and I will refund the full amount (including Google's cut) through the original PayPal account you used for the donation.

The new versions (there are three, one free) should be up later today. It takes about two hours for Google to make any change.

Since this topic is so long and the app name has changed (no longer just battery stuff) I will make up a new fresh topic. I think one topic for the free version for newbes to ask questions about getting the app up and running with their Phone/ELM. Then another for the full and Pro versions.

The free version has only screens 1 and 2 but no logging. Those two screens have exactly the same information as the full and Pro versions. The idea is that new people should use this free version first to make sure they have all the right hardware and know how to use it before they spend any money on the pay versions. If someone is only interested in battery cell information this version could be all they need.

I made the Pro version thinking that some people might have no interest in the Service functions and I wanted to provide them the lowest cost app by stripping that out.

For those who have seen strange behavior when exiting (app crashes, or does not exit) I am pretty sure I have located the now obvious to me programming bug (don't call display routines while in system keypress handler).

Version 0.27 includes as many of the requests and fixes that have been asked for. But if I have missed something or you have thought of something new just post it in the full/Pro discussion topic.

Hi Turbo3,

I have plenty of iPhones/iPads and buying apps is of no concern to me at all. I can't seem to find 0.27 on the google play store (googles version of appstore). I am searching for Leaf battery app. If possible could you please put a weblink to the free and pro versions.

I Found it people!! Thank you so much for this Turbo3!!! As stated above, I'm an apple user and only bought an android phone for this app, if I buy LEAF Spy Pro for $16.06 and you update it one day to 0.30 for example, is it a free update like apple appstore?

LEAF Spy Lite - FREE
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Lite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LEAF Spy - $10.70
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LEAF Spy Pro - $16.06
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Turbo3.Leaf_Spy_Pro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sold! I've mentioned a few times that it'd be a great paid app, so now that it's finally there, time to follow through on that. :D

Actually, I'm stopping by here to report a little issue I just discovered with the app on my Leaf... I finally got my garage back (sold my old car, finally) and was down there playing with forced-air battery cooling, to get the temperatures down from the high 90s. In the quiet confines of the garage, I noticed some clicking while the car was charging.

Turns out, there's a relay - described in the service manual page PG-16 as E56, "Electric Shift Power Supply Relay" and located under the hood in the passenger-side relay compartment - that toggles on and off with every single command flashing by on the connection status button. See the attached image for the location.

Can anyone confirm this behavior? I was charging at L1 and was at about 23% SOC.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 54
The clicking is normal and has been reported many times. Phil says it is the VCM selecting another power source to be sure it can respond to the request that is being made.

If you do a search you can find the comment Phil made posted many pages back.

Turbo3 said:
If you do a search you can find the comment Phil made posted many pages back.

Thus my distaste for forum communications. :lol: Lost in oblivion. Fact is, I did Google "site:mynissanleaf.com relay clicks" and got nothing useful - this basic phpBB-based forum isn't even search-optimized.

Strange that the VCM feels like switching the relay every time though... it sure puts a hell of a lot more wear and tear on those relays than normal, and adds a mechanical wear element to the app. Definitely something that would warrant some investigation into getting it to quit doing that, I think...

I have tried a number of sequences in the past to try to avoid the clicking. But so far nothing has worked.

I was hoping on finding a request that would tell me when the car is on or charging (which are the two cases when the relay does not click) so I could avoid a request when off and not charging (that causes the clicking). But even the most basic request seems to cause the click.

Ahhh... it sounds like a firmware bug in the VCM then - I hadn't noticed the clicking before, and mine was doing it while charging. I'll keep an ear on it and see if it keeps up with further use.

Big concern is that I don't feel like I can comfortably keep the app running while I'm watching it from upstairs... sometimes I leave the app open for hours so I can glance over at it (like tonight, trying to cool the battery). I guess there's not much you can do if there's no way to see if commands are triggering the relay from the programming side...

Off-topic question: can I log data while charging? Does the car have to be "on" to do this?
I am still having problems with my car charging stopping prematurely on ChargePoint at the full 6.3 kW rate (MY13) and I'd like to go to nissan with exactly what is going on when this failure occurs.

I tried and the app won't connect properly when the car is off. I see the lights blinking quickly on my ELM327 so it is still getting power and communicating in some way. I tried to get logs but it didn't seem to capture right. I'll try again later.

"three green dash status lights" ?
So the car has to be at least in the aux position? Where the radio / nav would be on but the car not ready to drive?

Is there additional charging related data that might be available on the bus that you are not currently collecting? Perhaps temperature of the PDC, current levels etc?

Aside question: I thought it would be cool to see how much regen happened over the course of a trip. Basically see how much energy consumed vs how much was generated by regen. Any idea how we might do this? I'm trying to get to the bottom of why my car uses so much less energy on my way to work than it does on the way home. Regen quantities might be a hint, but at least would be interesting...

(Sorry I meant Blue)

The three blue status lights have nothing to do with aux mode. They are charge status lights that come on when you plug in the charge cable, when charging or for 15 minutes after a charge. Those are the times the EV CAN bus is active and the app can read data from it.

The difference in energy use is most likely due to elevation change. I live on a hill so I always see more energy used coming home than going out.

Ah, I do see by my logs that my house is at around 498 feet and work is at -63 according to the GPS. The direction that is downhill I normally use 30% of battery and the other direction uses 50% of battery.

This is totally clear and nice looking on my Leaf Log viewer, which unfortunately is still not ready for prime time. PM me for a link.

Warning:
The original ELM 327 draws 50 mA even when the car is turned off. this is 100x the maximum "dark" current for a device in the car.
This is 1.2 AH per 24 hours. I left my car sitting for a week and it killed the battery. Note that the leaf battery is pretty small.

Dark current in the Leaf is spec'ed to be 50 ma or less from the 12v battery. So keeping an ELM plugged in with a 50ma draw at least doubles the dark current. So not a good idea to leave plugged in if you are not going to drive your Leaf for a while.

Not sure where you are getting the 100 times number from. Can you provide a link? Or is this just some general rule of thumb someone has come up with. But yes placing a device that which only increases dark current by 1% is better then using one that increases it by 100%.

Back