Had the P3227 reprogram done today: interesting results.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomT said:
Though it makes no practical difference since the range is the same either way...

vrwl said:
Too bad you didn't get the reprogramming done right before losing that bar. You might have avoided the bar loss for this year. :(

True, it doesn't affect range, but the actual bar loss might have been affected. OP would be looking at 12 bars instead of 11. Might have made a difference if OP was planning on selling the car or trading it in this winter.

tivollix said:
Then the P32237 update accelarted the drop.

Your experience has changed my attitude from P32237, "so what?" to "I probably need to get this just to see what it does".

Along with wanting to support the battery life model.

I haven't seen any data to support a bar returning or it's loss being delayed... There is one report of a bar returning after P3227, but it disappeared again in a couple of weeks...

vrwl said:
True, it doesn't affect range, but the actual bar loss might have been affected. OP would be looking at 12 bars instead of 11. Might have made a difference if OP was planning on selling the car or trading it in this winter.

TickTock said:
I just had the sw update and will throw out some data (since there isn't enough rumor and conjecture in this forum ;) ).
Just before update:
  • 9 capacity bars
    62.4% SOH
    45.59 Ah
Just after the update (measured in the parking lot):
  • 12 capacity bars
    100.0% SOH
    65.60 Ah
Upon arriving home:
  • 12 capacity bars
    50.9% SOH
    65.60 Ah
We'll see what it says in the morning, but the new update seems to have decided my battery is worse than it did before but the cap bars and Ah have not yet reflected this. Definitely shows weak linkage between Ah and SOH but potentially a strong linkage between cap bars and Ah (time will tell).

TickTock got the lost bars back.

Yes, but his is an odd case. If I remember what he told us correctly when we talked about that in Phoenix last month - correct me if I am wrong TT - they seem to have done a complete reset of the BMS on his car for some reason when they did the update, which is not typical... That would - temporarily at least - restore bars on any car, but it is not representative of true battery capacity and will return to where it was before with time...

myleaf said:
TickTock got the lost bars back.

TomT said:
I haven't seen any data to support a bar returning or it's loss being delayed... There is one report of a bar returning after P3227, but it disappeared again in a couple of weeks...

vrwl said:

Not quite sure you can prove a loss being delayed, however, in my particular case, I think it has been delayed. Before my P3227 upgrade, I was very close to the Amp Hour level where the first bars were being lost. 2.5 months after the P3227 upgrade, my Amp Hours have finally gotten back to where they were prior to the upgrade. I made it through the heat of the summer without that bar loss. Summer is almost over here in Texas so I might just have escaped a bar loss this year. So yeah, so far, I think my bar loss was delayed, but there's no way to prove something like that without cloning my car and then performing the upgrade on one version of my car and not performing the upgrade on the other, then having me drive both cars identically and under the same temperature conditions afterwards. It's probably always going to be a gut feeling about whether the bar loss was delayed or not.

Well, the tolerance was tightened from plus or minus 10 percent to plus 0 and minus 4 percent, and temperature compensation improved, so depending on where on that tolerance line you sat before, you could theoretically see an increase afterwards...

vrwl said:
Not quite sure you can prove a loss being delayed, however, in my particular case, I think it has been delayed. Before my P3227 upgrade, I was very close to the Amp Hour level where the first bars were being lost. 2.5 months after the P3227 upgrade, my Amp Hours have finally gotten back to where they were prior to the upgrade.

myleaf said:
I just had the update done on my LEAF done last Friday.

Before the update I had 9 bars and the Battery Ap showed 43AHr 66%

After the update I had 9 bars and the Battery Ap shows 51AHr 77%

I checked the range and it has increased significantly.

But as before I see the capacity dropping about 0.3% per day.

I believe the SW update delayed the loss of my 9th bar.

My bar losses were tracking others in Phx, such as TickTock, Turbo2ltr, etc.

I am currently at 47.34 AHr 72.17% Health 51.55

vrwl said:
TomT said:
Though it makes no practical difference since the range is the same either way...

vrwl said:
Too bad you didn't get the reprogramming done right before losing that bar. You might have avoided the bar loss for this year. :(

I plan on keeping this car til it pukes. I have not bought gas in the last 9k miles. (Except the tank a month in the wifes ride). Buying gas now seems insane! Fortunately, even with the poor charging infrastructure in the Tulsa area. The car is still very useful. When I lose another 15% it will still have plenty of capacity to serve my needs. Since I lost a bar loss at under 15k miles. I just may be able to make the warranty in a year or two. I know this sounds terrible, but I welcome it to degrade more, so I may enjoy more range courtesy of Nissan unable to accurately forecast residual batt life. :D

I think the software update delayed me losing a bar (11th) as well. Before the update, I was headed towards losing that second bar; it's taken me all summer to get back to that point (I'll probably lose it at the beginning of next summer). Either way, I think I'm on track for a "free" battery pack at the 4 year mark (just passed my 2 year mark); I'm intrigued by the potential of a "hot pack" replacement to last me until my Leaf wilts from plain old wear & tear.

I scheduled the reprogramming for my LEAF and now am having second thoughts.

Has anyone checked for variations in their dash/nav screen m/kWh or Carwings kWh use reports, from before and after the P3227 reprogram?

Anyone seen higher or lower reported kWh use over a given capacity range from a driving range test (from"80%" or "100%" to LBW, VLBW, or turtle) after the reprogram?

Anyone seen increases or decreases in m/kWh from the dash or nav screen over a controlled range test, after the reprogram?

I would think the reprogram causing changes in these kWh use reports might be likely.

After ~5 months using the App, I have found my own LEAF's reports of both kWh use and battery capacity that the app is picking up far too inaccurate to be of much practical use.

But for over two years, I have been able to use range tests to VLBW to monitor my LEAF's LBC-reported kWh battery capacity, and by doing so use either m/kWh report to monitor my remaining battery capacity in real-time while driving, with a high degree of accuracy, and I'd hate to lose (or more likely, have to spend quite a bit of time and effort to re-learn) this ability.

I wouldn't get the update if I had to do it over.

Since the update (two months ago), I've gone from 62.1 Ah to 58.7 Ah. Whether or not the new number is more accurate, it still sucks to see it.

Perhaps more importantly, regen has been greatly impacted. I noticed it immediately after the update - the fourth regen bubble would only appear at lower SOC - where it used to always give me full regen at 80% SOC. Now that it is colder (battery temp 50 F), I leave my house at 79% SOC and get one regen circle. This is impacting my commute and I am now using more GIDs to travel the same route to work every day even at extremely conservative speeds.

What happens when the battery temperature is 30 degrees? I assume I'll have no regen at all.

Same thing here, went from 60,7AH to 56,7AH in 2 month.
It seems to be somewhat stable now. And the temperature is mild in the 60s.

The main advantage, is that the GOM is now useable. Regeneration is now more limited than before but still ok for my use, I drive mostly on flat roads.

Still happy with the car.

smkettner said:
In the run to getting a new battery under warranty would it be better to get the update now, next May, or never?

If you intend to take advantage of the battery warranty, you have no choice: you must get the update. My advice is do it sooner than later.

I've observed the same phenomena in general following P3227...

ampitupco said:
Perhaps more importantly, regen has been greatly impacted. I noticed it immediately after the update - the fourth regen bubble would only appear at lower SOC - where it used to always give me full regen at 80% SOC.

TomT said:
I've observed the same phenomena in general following P3227...
ampitupco said:
Perhaps more importantly, regen has been greatly impacted. I noticed it immediately after the update - the fourth regen bubble would only appear at lower SOC - where it used to always give me full regen at 80% SOC.
We had the P3227 update three months ago. Our regen hasn't been that great driving down the mountain we live on, but at a given SOC I'm not sure that it's any worse than last year. The challenge is that I now need to start at a higher SOC to end up with the range I need, due to battery degradation and lack of regular workplace charging. Maybe our LEAF will be the first one to need a significant brake job...

One more reason to have a larger battery pack in our next EV - better regen!

I see the difference most in the 80% to 40% SOC range... Everything else being equal, there is less regen available now than before P3227... Temperature also seems to play a bigger part now as well.

abasile said:
Our regen hasn't been that great driving down the mountain we live on, but at a given SOC I'm not sure that it's any worse than last year.

Back