Leaf Spy Lite

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JonathanT said:
I have Leaf Spy Lite installed on my Kyocera event; no problem with setup and it works fine, nice app. But I've been trying to buy Leaf Spy via Google Play and I keep getting the message that there's a technical problem and I can't get it, or they can't process my order at this time. I don't think it's a credit card problem because I've tried two cards. I've also tried using both the device and my PC.
They only show me the zip code for orders and I see lots of automatic cancellations by Google's order system for zip 07059 which would appear to be yours.

Do you have any emails from Google explaining the reason. Perhaps in your junk mail folder?

I have lots of other orders around yours that have gone through.

Seems their automated fraud system is being triggered by something. All they tell me for a reason is "Other. Message sent to the customer:"

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Turbo3, thanks for this. Actually it is helpful because now I know that the problem is not with your app but between me and Google. And whatever that problem was, it's disappeared and I just installed Leaf Spy.

Leaf Spy Lite is now available on Amazon for the Kindle Fire HD.

If you have one please install and report back.

Amazon reported that it fails on the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 WAN and Wifi versions when you change from portrait to landscape mode. Would be interested in knowing if any error box comes up and what it said.

Still on my list of things to do. I do have the USB dongle.

I just completed my testing of a higher speed ELM327. Took the baud rate from the standard of 38,400 to 115,200. DO NOT TRY THIS. You need to physically remove the Bluetooth module and replace it with one programmed to the new baud rate. If you only reprogram the OBDII chip for the higher rate you will brick your ELM.

I was hoping I could just reprogram the Bluetooth module that came inside the ELM but it did not support the commands to change baud rate. Seems they just hard-coded it to 38,400 baud.

Again, don't try changing the OBDII baud rate unless you know you can unsolder, reprogram and put back a Bluetooth module with a matching baud rate.

The USB version would be easier to speed up.

garygid said:
Most Android pnones/devices do not support USB Host mode,
and presumably you would need Host mode to connect the BT
dongle?
There is modded kernels out there that can enable the device to do USB host mode.
In my case the device allready supports usb host mode out of the box ;)

garygid said:
What device and OS, please?
Odroid-x2 with Android 4.
I plan to build a carpc and exchange that one with the original one.
Since can-bus is available behind the original av-box, I plan to tap into the bus there. With this setup there will be no cables visible. And ev-canbus is also available in the glove department (should be possible to lay a cable over there if one needs that version of the can-bus)

http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/36887/how-can-i-determine-if-my-device-has-usb-host-mode-otg-support" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Operating System

USB Host Mode support was introduced in Android version 3.1 (Honeycomb), so if you have Android 3.1, or newer installed on your device then you should have the necessary support for it in your OS, Android 4 also adds additional USB and OTG support. Also, many third-party ROMs add support for USB Host Mode to phones that have the hardware support, but don't have the necessary OS or driver support in the official operating system release.

Host Mode Drivers

Most devices that have both hardware support and a new enough OS will have the necessary drivers loaded to enable USB Host Mode, but some don't. You can find driver apps on the Play Store for some models that don't have built in drivers. Some models with 3rd party instructions and drivers available are:

Nexus One
HTC Desire
HTC Incredible

One of the CAN adapters I bought was the one labeled "Vgate". I could not get it to work. Upon reading this thread, I found that I had the same issue as Devin and garylai. The "port 16" fix was the answer. I am now 3 for 3 on cheap adapters! I wanted to point out a few things:

1. The common weirdness with this type of adapter is that it does not ask for a pairing code. I am still wondering how Bluetooth can work without doing that. Nonetheless, this seems to be the key to recognizing this particular problem. This might be a good item for the Q&A.

2. The other two adapters did ask for pairing codes, and worked immediately without changing the port number (leaving it at 1, in other words). This behavior very much follows the adapter. Same phone each time.

3. I tried this same thing on a different phone. This time we used Leaf Spy Lite, because that's what's available. Sure enough, the balky adapter did not ask for a pairing code, but also the program recognized it and switched to port 16 to make it work. This (and #2) tend to exonerate the phones. This is a little different from what turbo3 thought, so I wanted to point that out.

I want to put the real program on at least 3 devices. Do I need to buy 3 programs?

Port numbers are assigned by the Phone so it is hard to know which port any particular phone will assign to a new Bluetooth device.

If the phone has assigned Port 1 to a BT Handsfree device and the device is active then Leaf Spy can detect that because the Handsfree device will respond on Port 1 with a unique response when the connection is opened. If Leaf Spy sees that response it auto switches to Port 16. If will also auto switch from 16 to 1 if it sees the Handsfree response on first connection on Port 16.

If the Handsfree device is not active but has been assigned to port 1 or 16 then the Leaf Spy can not tell it is there and will not auto switch.

I finally got an Android device so I can see what my battery degradation is on my 2012 Leaf. Leaf Spy Lite says I have 58.48 AHr. Can I tell the degradation from that number? Do I need to do anything special before testing it like charging it to 100% to balance the battery or anything like that (it's set to charge to 80% now).

If you are running the latest version of Leaf Spy Lite there should be an SOH (State of Health) % after the AHr value. What is it and what is our odometer reading?

You don't need to charge to read those two values. The battery control module is keeping track of them over time.

Turbo3 said:
If you are running the latest version of Leaf Spy Lite there should be an SOH (State of Health) % after the AHr value. What is it and what is our odometer reading?

You don't need to charge to read those two values. The battery control module is keeping track of them over time.

The SOH was 0 and odometer said 0 miles. I didn't leave it reading the device for more than about a minute though and I have the Leaf Spy Lite app. Do I just need to let it read longer?

gsleaf said:
Turbo3 said:

The SOH was 0 and odometer said 0 miles. I didn't leave it reading the device for more than about a minute though and I have the Leaf Spy Lite app. Do I just need to let it read longer?
Your Leaf needs to be ON (Dash instruments lit up) for the app to read odometer and SOH.

Screen 1 (Pro) changes:

With v0.26n9, for battery stats, screen 1 showed something like "AHr=57.84(88.17%) Hlth=75.99"
Now with v0.28.12 it shows something like "AHr=56.94 SOH=86% Hx=73.75%"

I am wondering what Hx is and how it is different from SOH. It, Hx, is obviously lower than SOH.

Is Hx a health estimate based on the internal resistance? While SOH is more heavily correlated to capacity?

Which, if any, of these measurements are the 12 capacity bars based on?

I was over in the Play Store today and I noticed it claimed Leaf Spy would run on Android 1.6! In addition, it said "compatible with all your devices". I just had to try the HTC G1 again. And now I remember ('cause I had tried a beta version some time ago): it says "stopped unexpectedly" every time I try to run it.

So you should either change the spec to require 2.x, or, perhaps you'd like to find out why it won't run? I've got two old phones that would make nice little gauges for my LEAF.

Back