SoCal Branch Year 4 LEAF-Gatherings - See Year 5

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A mini-Gathering this morning (Saturday) in Santa Ana at the
Hometown Buffet on 17th street, just 2 blocks East of I5.

Android app, and the Bluetooth dongle, OpenEVSE cable and
gland fitting, and general comradery in a friendly setting.

Some Android devices, black tape, dongles, and
demo of small touch-screen displays.

One hour and 9 minutes, get moving!!!

For the Sunday morning Great Park meetup, some of us have decided to pre-meet outside the Park. We're going to meet at 10:30 at the parking lot of Knowlwood's and Denny's near the La Quinta Inn on Sand Canyon just south of the 5 freeway. That way we can group up first and drive in to the Park together so that we can park together.

Those who want to eat breakfast can arrive around 9:30 am and eat at Knowlwoods.

Boomer23 said:
For the Sunday morning Great Park meetup, some of us have decided to pre-meet outside the Park. We're going to meet at 10:30 at the parking lot of Knowlwood's and Denny's near the La Quinta Inn on Sand Canyon just south of the 5 freeway. That way we can group up first and drive in to the Park together so that we can park together.

Those who want to eat breakfast can arrive around 9:30 am and eat at Knowlwoods.
We plan on being there... but I'll have 3 maybe 4 people in the Leaf.. and it's 67 miles down there... sooooooooo.. :shock:

I might be a bit low on charge... going back up we'll be charging (hopefully) at the Spectrum and then watching an IMAX for a few hrs while we juice up..

See you guys tomorrow!

I stopped by Knowlwood's parking lot and it was crammed full,
but it was lunch time. It is located just behind Denny's, South
Sand Canyon Road.

I plan to see you there tomorrow morning.

The entrance to the Solar Decathlon is northeast on Sand Canyon about
a quarter mile, then right on Trabuco, and continue almost a mile
to the point where they collect $5 per car, cash only.

I attended this afternoon to get a sense of the layout to help Mrs. Boomer and the rest of our group to plan for tomorrow and future visits. I had a good time. The winds had died down, but it was still hot.

You'll want to plan on being there for about three hours, more if you want to see every house and all of the pavilions and displays. The space is pretty large, and you'll be tired when you're through. bring lots of water and hats, parasols, etc for shade. There are a few golf carts and a pedicab inside the gates, but mostly, you'll be walking.

Learnings:

1) if you enter on Marine Way, you'll be forced to park near the Palm Court, which is where the mini maker fair and a very few other exhibits are located, as well as the carousel and the orange balloon. BUT you'll be a substantial walk from the solar homes and the two main pavilions. The mini maker fair has a 3d printing demo and some interesting ecology demo projects that cycle nutrients through terrestrial and water environments.

Learning: Better to enter at the Trabuco and Sand Canyon entrance. Parking is close to the homes and frequent shuttles circulate in that parking lot.

2) There is a Competitors' Pavilion with booths with displays from each of the home building teams. I stopped there on my way to the solar homes and was able to chat with students in a quiet, shaded setting and I got a better understanding of the homes' themes, technology and purpose. Chatting with energetic young people is always fun.

Learning: if you want to stop at the Competitors' Pavilion before seeing the houses, assuming you enter the event at Trabuco, you'll have to walk past all of the homes to get to the Pavilion. It was a nice way for me to start my visit, but not essential. Your choice.

3) There may or may not be lines to get into the homes. A lot depends on how long each home takes to get through. Some have a very open arrangement and very little presentation from the students, so there are rarely lines for them. Other houses have complex interiors and a defined path through them, so they'll have lines more frequently. There is little to no shade in the waiting lines.

Learning: You can visit the homes in random sequence depending on the line length and your level of interest in each home. Shade will move throughout the day, and lines may get shorter at times. Check out the overall situation and plan accordingly.

4) The Expo Pavilion is the largest and most packed and active. There are displays from the DOE, SCE, UCI, Bosch, Schneider, and a bunch of solar industry and electric bike companies. Worth walking through if you're interested. There are giveaways like carry bags for the brochures that you pick up.

5) There were about five food trucks there and some strolling vendors with ice cream and frozen lemonade. There is also a Great Park Kitchen or some such title that sells various foods, and a shaded eating area. There was abundant free water available.

6) Bosch had a tent set up for their new electric bike technology. You can arrange to test ride several different styles of e-bikes from several bike companies.

7) The Kids' Discovery zone was pretty small and unimpressive. I was hoping that it would be good for my 3 year old granddaughter, but it was more aimed at 2nd or 3rd graders on up to junior high.

8) The Ride/Drive event for alt fuel cars only seemed to have Toyota participating. They do have the RAV4 EV. They may have the PiP, and the rest are hybrids.
There was a booth for the Hydrogen car alliance, but no drive opportunities, I don't think.

9) Plug-in America's table is inside the Expo Pavilion. I think that they are still looking for volunteers to man the table for next Thu-Sun.

Heidi seems to be doing better, she hasn't barfed in
the last 5 hours or so. Now, I need to get her to
drink some water, and then take a little food.

No sooner than I write the above, she vomited again.
She did not want water, but I took her outside and
she managed the two-p's... a good sign.

Now, she took some water, and is resting or
perhaps even sleeping again.

Temperature for today in LA is 91 forcast, with clear skies.
Dropping to 83, 73, 68, and 66 over the next four days.
Possibility of rain on Wed, but otherwise partial clouds.

So, I am going to delay my Solar extravaganza until
Thursday. However, Nancy volunteered to watch
Heidi until 11, so I plan, unless things get worse, to
meet at 9:30 AM at Knowlwood for breakfast.

Gary, sorry your Heidi is not feeling well. I hope she feels better.
Boomer, thanks for the run down and the tips.

We'll be heading over to the park this morning. What time do you plan to leave Knowlwoods?
If we don't make it to the pre-gathering, I'm sure we'll see some of you at the park.

JPVLeaf said:
Gary, sorry your Heidi is not feeling well. I hope she feels better.
Boomer, thanks for the run down and the tips.

We'll be heading over to the park this morning. What time do you plan to leave Knowlwoods?
If we don't make it to the pre-gathering, I'm sure we'll see some of you at the park.

Sorry I didn't see your message sooner, JPV. We left Knowlwoods about 10:50 and we were inside the Park about 11:05.

Sorry we missed seeing you. We were going through the homes at random, as the wait lines dictated. Tom, Allen and I were walking together, there was another group with Dori, JasonA and Mrs JasonA and their friend Tom, and Carol was going solo. Carol and I left from the Xpo Pavilion around 1:30 PM, with the rest of the crew still checking out the Pavilion.

I hope you guys had a good time. Any favorite stops for you and the kiddos?

Sorry I'm on night shifts this weekend so I was sleeping while y'all had fun. Would like to hear what your favorite houses were! :)

JeremyW said:
Sorry I'm on night shifts this weekend so I was sleeping while y'all had fun. Would like to hear what your favorite houses were! :)

Sorry you couldn't make it, Jeremy, but glad you got to see the houses the other day.

So far, I liked the Santa Clara, USC and Harvest houses. I'll probably go back next week to see the Czech, Cal Tech and Stanford houses since the lines were too long this weekend. I'll probably try riding the e-bikes, too.

Had a great time with everyone yesterday!! Allen, LeafyD and us basically shut down the place after dark! :D

Then off to the Spectrum for some charging and dinner (again, shut down the place :lol: ).. then home.. 69 miles uphill no issues.. 49 Gids left! :D

The group photo.. I'll post more later.. if anybody wants the 21mp versions of them.. let me know..

eee2da81137d5e6ffdefe7a9cdb444ee.jpg

JasonA, great picture, good resolution for the forum.
Post more when you can.
Did you pick up 3 adoptions on the left?

I am planning to go Thursday, and maybe more
to see it all. We will see how my stamina goes.

Breakfast was great, I enjoyed talking with you all,
and seeing your 5" display.

Hello,

Nice meeting everyone that was really our first Nissan gathering event but we had a blast and nice to see all the other leafs! Ours is very happy to be back on the road and seems to be working 100% perfect after rebuilding a nearly scrapped Leaf. I'll post a series of photos showing the work on the car in another area of the forum that is appropriate for such stuff.

I really liked the Cal Tech home thought it was very unique and made super good use of space.

Thanks,
Steve

JasonA said:
Had a great time with everyone yesterday!! Allen, LeafyD and us basically shut down the place after dark! :D

Then off to the Spectrum for some charging and dinner (again, shut down the place :lol: ).. then home.. 69 miles uphill no issues.. 49 Gids left! :D

The group photo.. I'll post more later.. if anybody wants the 21mp versions of them.. let me know..

Shut the place down after dark? I'm impressed and amazed at your staying power. What all did you do for all that time?

garygid said:
JasonA, great picture, good resolution for the forum.
Post more when you can.
Did you pick up 3 adoptions on the left?

I am planning to go Thursday, and maybe more
to see it all. We will see how my stamina goes.

Breakfast was great, I enjoyed talking with you all,
and seeing your 5" thingy.

Gary, that is hbleaf, Steve, and his family. Great guy with a fascinating background in DCQC industry and lots of knowledge about charging. Jason and Allen were excited to talk with him. I predict a growing relationship for Steve with some local LEAFers.

Welcome Steve!

Boomer23 said:
Shut the place down after dark? I'm impressed and amazed at your staying power. What all did you do for all that time?
We left after 7.. and just so happens that parked right behind me was a red Model S with lic "AC PWR" or "AC Prop" ?? can't remember.. was so tired..

At the Spectrum.. we had dinner for 2+ hrs.. I went from 63 to 259gids during that time.. Allen got enough to hit Mitsubishi with Dory... but my GE Wattstation app said I finished at 10:20pm... I think by the time all us finished talking in the parking lot.. it was 10:45 or so..

A long day indeed.. and then drive back up to Sylmar.. :shock:

Just another 19 hr day Leaf meet.. :D

Hey, Boomer. We ended up at the park a bit before 11a, so just ahead of you and the group. (The heat was already feeling intense.) We toured just a handful of the homes, including that of the Czech Republic, Stevens, and Team Capitol DC. As the lines grew, we decided to check out the area towards the Pavillion. We ended up spending a bit of time in the Pavillion. They had a nice mix of exhibitors. Had a nice conversation with one of the UCI PhD students working in their Energy/Environ Engr group and their work with alt fuels/energy/hydrogen fuel cells. Also, met Richard at the PiA table.

We later bumped into Allen and LeafyD, and JasonA and his wife, over at the Toyota test drive area. A bit underwhelmed driving the PiP, though, since the LI battery was not charged up for EV mode. Not surprising, though, given the (site) circumstances. Nice tool kit TY gift, though. Thanks for the tip, Allen.

The kiddos were troopers, but as Dori noticed, they (and we) were getting a bit limpy around 3p-ish. We headed out while the rest stayed on site to grab a bite.

We'd like to return later this week to focus on the remaining team homes we missed. Thankfully, it's so close. The cooler temps as well as a rested pair of knees will help too.

Oh, and we saw the nice 'cluster' of Leafs in the lot as were leaving. Nice showing. :)

Thanks for the report, JPV. Sorry we missed seeing you guys, sounds like we almost bumped into you but didn't quite. Glad you all had a good time.

Back