hodad66
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Re: Leaf owner, looking at volt, looking for input from owne

Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:54 am

for two years I have been very happy with my Volt. One evening
I got a call from the GF & had to meet her some 200 miles away.
This was at 11:30 pm, no problem. Just jumped into the Volt (my
only vehicle) and was there in a jiffy. Not sure where I would
have found a rental car at that time of night........ :shock:

reserved 7-26-2010, RAQ 7-29-2011... Order Cancelled 9/26/2011,
Schneider EVSE installed (9/15/2011)
2012 Volt lease 9/22/2011, 2014 Volt lease 5/12/2014

Pipcecil

Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:10 am

I have both as well (wife has a volt).

- Firstly, the batteries keep up way better than the Leaf - for just over two years I have lost 30% capacity with range ~55 miles. My wife's volt (1.5 years old) still has the same range she had when new and with the same kWh per mile and she can get 50+ miles on a good summer day.

- The volt is definetely a smaller car. While some had said they didn't like the bucket seats, I actually like them, but they do "lean back" some. The trunk is also smaller

- The volt is less affected by the colder weather. At night, while being plugged in, the volt's battery will still be at optimal temps. You will still loose range during the winter as the BMS will need to heat the battery while driving, but the Leafs range swings are extreme when compared to the volt.

- If you follow the factory recommended maintence for both cars, the Volt is way cheaper (only rotate tires until 45K then its only a transmission flush). Oil is really only changed every 2 years.

- If your leaf is a 2013 with the faster charging system, it will charge twice as fast as the volt

- I prefer the user interface with the volt versus the leaf. It looks dauting at first, but its less menus to navigate to get what you want.

- The gas generator is really NOT noticable. If you are driving in the car you actually have to be paying attention with the radio off to even notice. You can tell from outside, but inside, not at all.

- The style of the volt (inside and out) is better, the interior especially compared to the 2011-2012 models. It probably is about even compared to the 2013 SL.

- The rides are probably similar. The volt can bounce a little more due and wind but that is due to its size and lowness to the ground (which helps it get bettery highway range on the battery). But the volt is heavier than the leaf and is usually less prone to bouncy from rough roads. Tire pressure is higher for the volt - 38 psi vs 36 psi.

- you have to worry less on the volt with the upper and lower end of the battery. No need to worry about only charging to 80% and maybe 100% sometimes. And no need to reserve a few miles of range in your drive to get home - drive the battery to Zero!

- The volt has 4 modes: Regular (which is just like the leaf regular), moutain which reserves stuff for shifts in vertical climbs (never used it). Sport which makes it more sporty than the leaf and a B or hard regen mode which is like the leaf's eco.
DFW Public EV Station Locations
DFW Public Charging Access
Plug-In Vehicles Available in Texas
Total Locations: 254
Total EVSEs: 611
Level 1: 66 Level 2: 512 DC Fast: 33

LTLFTcomposite
Delivery Date: 10 Dec 2011
Leaf Number: 5926

Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:01 am

At the end of the day, for all their pluses and minuses, the Volt, Leaf and Model S are what most of us have to work with for going down the road on electricity. Sure there are a few other niche/compliance options out there, particularly for those in CA, but I see you live in MD, so you'd really have to work at finding one of the other options. Except for the RAV4 and Fit I don't see any that would be worth the bother.

You should be reasonably confident you'll like the car and it will meet your needs before taking the plunge, but face it, with a three year lease it's hardly a life choice. Hopefully one more Volt moving off the lot to someone like yourself and that scene being repeated by more like you furthers the manufacturers bringing more new EV offerings.

I doubt you'd regret the Volt; we really like ours. It's quite a clever bit of engineering.
LTL
White 2012 SV delivered 10 Dec 2011 returned 25 Nov 2014 replaced with stopgap ICE Sentra
[35 months] [35K miles] [9 Bars]
2013 Volt replaced after 36 months/30k miles with ICE Rogue
2016 SV-adjacent May 2016 lost 4th bar March 2018

epirali
Delivery Date: 08 Oct 2013
Leaf Number: 418541

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:30 am

LTLFTcomposite wrote:Note that on the volt "eco" is the default and you have to select sport mode to get the default leaf behavior. That makes the volt seem heavier.
Thanks and thank you for e-mail response. We had it on sport, it was very peppy. The "heavy" is from how the suspension reacts to turns and bumps. I was getting thrown around pretty hard in the back seat.

DaveEV

Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:31 am

For you Volt owners out there coming from a Prius - one of my reservations about the Volt is it's size - back seat is definitely an issue (really wish it had bench rear seats so could squeeze 3 in the back in a pinch) - but how does the trunk space compare to say the Gen-2 Prius and the LEAF? The Volt seems to be similar in trunk space to the Prius to me looking at pics...

Zythryn

Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:05 am

drees wrote:For you Volt owners out there coming from a Prius - one of my reservations about the Volt is it's size - back seat is definitely an issue (really wish it had bench rear seats so could squeeze 3 in the back in a pinch) - but how does the trunk space compare to say the Gen-2 Prius and the LEAF? The Volt seems to be similar in trunk space to the Prius to me looking at pics...
It is smaller than a Prius, but for us completely sufficient.
The roofline starts sloping down sooner leading to less height. Footprint (going from memory) of storage is similar and the back seats do fold down.

The back seat is small, especially leg room. However, that was never an issue for us as we rarely used the back seat except for cargo.

We enjoyed our Volt quite a bit, except when the ICE turned on. More so because I hate burning gas, than the sound/vibration of it.
Previous owner of Prius, Volt, Leaf & Model S
Current owner of Model 3
http://www.netzeromn.com

mwalsh
Delivery Date: 05 Jan 2011
Leaf Number: 0213

Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:33 am

40+ miles EV (2013 w/ 10.5kWh usable)
40mpg on gasoline, once the EV range is gone
Exterior design (much cooler than the LEAF's)
Wheel design (thought these would be hard to keep clean, but the brakes throw off very little dust)
Seat design
4 passenger seating and rear seat console (didn't think I would like this, but I do - makes it feel like an old school, European 2+2)
Car has it's own phone (and phone number)

Dislikes:

Hard seats
Seats that stain quite easily but which also refuse to give up the stains to cleaning products that would normally take care of anything
Difficult to wash exterior (lots more nooks and crannies to trap water than on the LEAF)
Override the charger timer by double-plugging the J1772. Time it wrong the the car will throw a hard code that needs to be cleared with an OBDII scanner.
Doors seem quite a bit heavier than the LEAF's, and have a tendency to spring back at you if you fling them open too far.
Hood needs to be dropped to close it (and you can actually dent it if you try to push it closed from just latched)

Neutral:

Interior design other than the seats and rear console (feels a little claustrophobic compared to the LEAF)
Forward console has too many buttons, and key features seem difficult to find and control on both it and (to an extent) on the LCD screen (may have to actually read the owners manual to understand this one!)
2011 Blue Ocean SL with 86,000 miles
2015 pack on 12/30/15
Tinted windows
Bosch AGM 12v
Ecopia 422+ tires
L1 EVSE upgrade
FIAMM horns
Superbright LED lighting
2013 sun visors
LED shifter
Heated seats
GT-R map lamp lenses
Altima illuminated door switches

Weatherman
Delivery Date: 08 Jul 2012
Leaf Number: 20922

Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:48 am

mwalsh wrote:Hood needs to be dropped to close it (and you can actually dent it if you try to push it closed from just latched)
Already got a dimple from doing that. Has to be the softest hood metal of any car I've owned.
2013 Crystal Red Volt
2012 SV Glacier Pearl LEAF; turned in 5/12/2015:18.6K Miles:50.13 AHr:10 bars, 24% gone

scottf200
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:07 am

adric22 wrote:I have both cars. Not sure what Weatherman was talking about on the seats being too low. They are adjustable and you can raise them up. My wife drives the Volt and has to raise the seat up and she's very short around 5'2" and has no trouble.
I have a friend at work who is 5'9" and she mentioned on a test drive at a dealer the seats seemed too far forward and not adjustable. I took her for test drive last week and she ended up really liking all the adjustments. Aside from going forward backward (track) with level below your right knee there are two adjustments on the side as follows:

100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
'17 Tesla Model X 100D 'used' self | RIP '16 P90DL Sig self |
'18 Tesla Model 3 LR kid1 |
'11 Volt kid2 | '16 Volt for wife | '12 Volt kid1's spouse

scottf200
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2011

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:13 am

Pipcecil wrote:Sport which makes it more sporty than the leaf and a B or hard regen mode which is like the leaf's eco.
I only drive in Sport and L(ow-max regen). Low is not gearing but common nomenclature with some resemblance to "low" when slowing down. Low is only electronically turning on max regen. I've driven in Low for 33K miles.

Sport mode can be entered at any time with two quick taps of the 'mode' button. You do NOT have to wait for the display to pop up after the 1st tap. Just tap a 2nd time. They are queued. Sport mode is definitely more responsive as it readjust the pedal mapping. Put it to the floor and it is the same as normal. See these numbers:
100K EV miles and 80% EV usage
'17 Tesla Model X 100D 'used' self | RIP '16 P90DL Sig self |
'18 Tesla Model 3 LR kid1 |
'11 Volt kid2 | '16 Volt for wife | '12 Volt kid1's spouse

Return to “Other Electric Cars & Plug-In Hybrids”