Leaf S Heater DOA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhilst

I'm wondering how wide spread heater problems are on 2013 Leaf S models? I got my 2013 Leaf S on Oct 27, 2013 and we discovered the heater didn't work during the first week. It has now been back at the dealer for 2 weeks and they don't even have an ETA on the needed Heater Control Unit from Nissan. They have 3 others with the same problem. I opened a case at Nissan USA, but they haven't gotten back to me as promised either. It's a bad way to start out.

bhilst said:
I'm wondering how wide spread heater problems are on 2013 Leaf S models?
I don't know about the 2013's, but I think the heater in the S is similar (the same?) as that found in the 2011/2012s. There have been a few heater failures on those models and the repairs have not gone very smoothly. It sounds as if the 2013 Ss may be similar.

It will be interesting to see if the heat pump in the 2013 SV and SL will turn out to be more reliable than the resistor in the S.

The OP needs the Heater control unit, not the heater itself. The control unit on the 2013 S is not like any other Leaf. I like the control unit on my S much better than the one on my wife's 2013 SV.

stjohnh said:
The OP needs the Heater control unit, not the heater itself. The control unit on the 2013 S is not like any other Leaf. I like the control unit on my S much better than the one on my wife's 2013 SV.
The term "heater control unit" likely means an electronic switch which switches HVDC to the heater resistor. It sounds like you are referring to the unit on the console. Since that also controls air conditioning, I suspect it is not know as the "heater control unit". Let me have a look at the service manual to see what Nissan calls these things...

Something is really wrong with my heater. Whenever I turn it on the charge on my battery drops really fast. I think it has a short in it.

johnrhansen said:
Something is really wrong with my heater. Whenever I turn it on the charge on my battery drops really fast. I think it has a short in it.
:lol:

Assuming you have the S trim package, the heater can draw up to 5000W. At 400V, that is a resistance of only about 30 Ohms. Not too far from a short!

I got my 2013 Leaf on 10/19 and my heater is not working either. The dealer told me the fix was easy, but the part needed is on back order. Strangely, I am kind of enjoying the cold ride into work each morning. I'm still in the "try and beat my battery percentage on my morning commute" mode, so no climate control helps. Now, if its not fixed by the time temps drop to the 20's, its not going to be enjoyable anymore.

We also have no functioning heater. We've had the car 3 weeks, and I thought I must be missing something in the instructions, but no, apparently this is happening often. We're taking the car in tomorrow, but judging from what you said, I'm worried that it won't be a quick fix. I'll expect them to loan me a car if it takes as long as others say. Does anyone else have any news on this debacle? I've loved my Leaf up until now.

Well, you know what they say - only bad events are newsworthy. But just so you know it isn't universal, the heater on our S is working fine, though we aren't using it much. In the first place it isn't that cold here. In the second place, I really like the seat heaters. (They weren't available when I got my 2011 LEAF.)

Ray

Sorry, no probs with the HVAC, heater, seat Warner's or steering wheel warmers. I have noticed that the difference between the GOM and battery % remaining displays becomes quite large with the heaters ON, indicating a large(r) current draw.

Frankly, I've had no problems with the car at all.

I bought my S with the charger upgrade Sept 12. The heater unit is shot-went out Nov 3. The dealer gave me instructions to call Nissan. The problem appears to be widespread as Nissan has provided me a caseworker!! So far, he has called when he said he would. No answers on the fix today but he will know more tomorrow and said he will contact me daily. Evidently, there is a relatively new team in place to help expedite the back order issues.

I think we will call National too and see if we can get a better response. Our problem is that our local dealer (Albuquerque) lost their technician and his replacement isn't certified yet. They told us we had to go to Santa Fe, about 60 miles away, to the dealer there! We can't get a loaner car unless we go there. I don't want a loaner car because I will have to pay for gas again. We budgeted the payment based on not paying for gas anymore, so if I need a loaner I'll also want some compensation for the gas. What a debacle! We love this zippy little car otherwise.

S with upgrade leased Oct. 15

I got my S model with quick charge on Sep 28th and very soon after that it was clear the heater did not work at all.
After driving for a month the weather has changed and it is cold at 6 AM even here in San Jose, CA.
So I took the car back to the dealer and today makes 2 weeks they have had the car and the service advisor said
today "I have no idea when we will get the parts need to fix this car". I was provided a loaner car but I would like the car I leased.
Looks like this is going to be a problem for awhile. I am going to give the dealer 2 more weeks and then I think I will have to
get a lawyer involved. I wonder how this problem fits in the lemon laws that was passed here in California?

Paul

Got my leaf S w/ qc about 2 months ago. Turned on the heater a few weeks ago for the first time and no heat. It's been at the dealership for about a week. They said yesterday that the part is back ordered and they don't know when it will come in. They gave me a 2012 leaf sl as a loaner. Thankful for that but I do miss MY leaf.

2013 SV with heat pump, very impressive performance and no troubles (first winter with Leaf). 37 degrees this morning, very little reduction of range (about 5 miles on GOM) with heater on, but the car is so well insulated and sealed that it no heat is really needed if I turn on CC 1/2 hour before leaving my garage, even for a 30-mile trip. We'll see what happens when it gets really cold next month.
Hope this adds to "anecdotal data", I really feel bad for those having trouble with heaters.
Bill P -- Washington state

Purchased my new 2013 Leaf S on 9/30, didn’t need the heat much until a few weeks later, noticed all it does was blow cold air. Took it to the dealer who kept it all day only to give it back and tell me the parts are backordered for at least three weeks and there is nothing can do. My kids and I are freezing in the mornings and at night especially since the windshield fogs over and the only way to clear it is to opened the windows and turn-up the air conditioner. It is ridiculous that I am freezing in a brand-new car.

Our continuing saga with the heater is this: We have had very unsatisfactory conversations with the Leaf Consumer Line. They seem to be trained to belittle people and stonewall any commitment to help. The guy who is working on our "case" even put down this forum and wouldn't admit that the heater assembly issue is a national problem. They are putting the responsibility on us that since they don't have an ETA on the part, they can't commit to paying for the gas on a rental car. They are expecting us to drive 60 miles, climbing 2000 ft. in the Leaf, and take off of work to deliver the car to a dealer where it will sit until the part comes in.

If anyone has contacted a lawyer about this, please let us know.

We've had our S for 3 months.. Heater stopped working also. Been at the dealer for 1 week. Still no part. Beginning to get a bit frustrated. Should not be hard to get a part for a brand new car.

This is our latest on our 2013 S Leaf with broken heater (you can read my other posts about it here). Our local dealer got their certification back. I took my car to them yesterday and got a free rental from them. I was told that the service departments nationally have now been given information for how to order several different parts which in total, are equal to the the heater assembly part that has been backordered. They told me it should be "a couple of days." I'm not holding my breath, but at least now I have a car with heat in the meantime. If it takes too long we will demand to be reimbursed for our gas, as we don't plan on paying for a car we don't have, and additionally gas for another one!

I've found the consumer affairs people to be at best ineffective, and actually rather insulting and hostile. We went through our dealer, Calvin Johnson, in Boulder, CO to get results and he has been great.

Back