STOP charging remotely?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvdmon

Ok, I have a 2013 Nissan Leaf that I purchased almost three months ago and I can't seem to stop charging remotely. When I go either into Carwings or into the website, I update and see that it's charging, but the button I get says "start charging" - when I click it it just tells me that it started charging but maintains that button. I never see a "stop charging" button. Is this right?

The reason I'd like to be able to do this is this: I charge on a 120V line in our garage. Also on this line is our garage freezer, and my computer, printer, etc. in the office above the garage. That office doesn't get the central air from the house, and so when it gets over 80 degrees here or under 60, it requires some help or it's not particularly enjoyable to be here. I just plugged in a space heater for the first time, a pretty small one at that, and it tripped the circuit. When I stop charging the car, the heater does fine. So, I'd like to be able to stop charging for short periods of an hour or so until the room gets sufficiently warm, but in order to do so, so far I've had to either unplug the charger from the socket, or go outside and unplug the car. No, these are not horrible tasks, but when the temps start getting really low, I might change my opinion! :)

Anyway, am I missing something or is this just not something Nissan has provided for? Or is there something wrong with my setup somehow?

Thanks!

You are correct. The functionality is not there. It's also unfortunate that one can't remotely change the charge to 80% or 100% setting, nor are there settings for other charge to % values.

cwerdna said:
You are correct. The functionality is not there. It's also unfortunate that one can't remotely change the charge to 80% or 100% setting, nor are there settings for other charge to % values.

Oh how I wish you could even just pick 80 or 100 percent charge remotely! I keep having to walk to the car and change every time depending on how much charge I need.

epirali said:
cwerdna said:

Oh how I wish you could even just pick 80 or 100 percent charge remotely! I keep having to walk to the car and change every time depending on how much charge I need.

Couldn't you set it to 100%, set charge timers for every day starting at midnight charging to 80%, then just hit the "ignore my charge timers and just charge!" button whenever you need to get it to 100%? Just a thought.

goaliepride said:
epirali said:
cwerdna said:

Couldn't you set it to 100%, set charge timers for every day starting at midnight charging to 80%, then just hit the "ignore my charge timers and just charge!" button whenever you need to get it to 100%? Just a thought.

Yeah, I was looking through the manual - I haven't done anything with charge timers yet, so I was thinking that's probably what I'll have to do, just was hoping I was wrong and that there was an easier way, but I goess not! :(

goaliepride said:
epirali said:
cwerdna said:

Good thought but I need 100% for my daily commute, so I optimize that to departure time to minimize sitting at 100%. Outside of that it changes per trip and I can't really predict, so timer wouldn't help.

dvdmon said:
... so far I've had to either unplug the charger from the socket, or go outside and unplug the car. ...
Don't just unplug from the wall. The car draws 12a, and you will get arcing at the outlet if you unplug that end while it's charging. This can ruin the outlet, or even cause a fire. It will also cause the car to log a fault. Always unplug the J1772 from the car first.

It's less urgent which order you use to plug in since the EVSE doesn't connect the power to the car until the car says to, anyway.

davewill said:
dvdmon said:
... so far I've had to either unplug the charger from the socket, or go outside and unplug the car. ...
Don't just unplug from the wall. The car draws 12a, and you will get arcing at the outlet if you unplug that end while it's charging. This can ruin the outlet, or even cause a fire. It will also cause the car to log a fault. Always unplug the J1772 from the car first.

It's less urgent which order you use to plug in since the EVSE doesn't connect the power to the car until the car says to, anyway.

Cool, thanks for the tip!

Count me in as another LEAF owner who wishes this feature would be implemented into Carwings. It sucks to have to physically unplug the car whenever I want it to stop charging.

smkettner said:
How hard would that be Nissan?

Three buttons on the app.

1, charge 80%
2, charge 100%
3, stop charging
+x

How hard, exactly, and really, if the car is currently charging, there should not be a button that says "Start charging"! I just remembered that I actually wrote in about the latter, and couldn't believe the reply I got. Here's part of my message (I was a bit upset):
I've told you about this before. There is a deceptive button that says Start Charging when it already is. It makes it look like it isn't charging. This is really quite basic, for goodness sake. Thank you I hope (second try)."
And here is part of their reply (emphasis added):
We appreciate your honest feed back and want to thank you for taking the time to express your concerns with us. While we thrive on the feedback from our customers, and we are thankful that people are so interested in Nissan’s future.

However, for legal reasons, our company policy prevents us from considering your suggestion. We sincerely appreciate the spirit in which your offer was made, and thank you for your continued interest in Nissan.
So, what, is our lesson not to write in suggestions for improvement because if we do then we are sure not to see that improvement? Because of "legal reasons"?? Arrrrgh!

I took it to mean that they are afraid of being sued by me if they did implement it after "formally" hearing my suggestion. So I guess if we think of improvements we should just be quiet, and hope and wait for them to "think of it themselves". Otherwise, if we write it down somewhere, we might be able to sue them for using our idea.

Back