How Exactly Will The Tax Credit Work

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leaffan said:
planet4ever said:
evnow said:
Nissan will want to sell atleast 30K cars in the US in the first year - so an average of 2.5K cars a month. We have, at that rate 4 months of total reservations at this point. Everyone who has reserved a car & is in the launching states, will get the car latest by 2011 March.
First, don't be misled by averages. Nissan says they want to produce 50K cars the first year, but have a capacity to produce no more than 12K by March, which is four months. That says they are ramping up, which makes sense. My guess is that no more than a thousand will be on the road by the end of the year.

Second, don't confuse "launching areas" with "launching states". California, for example, is a huge state. I'd be willing to bet there are remote parts of it where you are unlikely to be able to get a Leaf at all in 2011, except by planning a several hundred mile trip to get it home.

So, yes, end of March may be a good guess, if you are close to a launching area, but don't count on getting your Leaf much earlier than that.

rat said:
Where are you located? Unless you're in one of the core cities like San Diego you probably won't be able to take actual delivery of the car or even get the charger until 2012, and maybe even a good chunk of those who are in those cities will not either, so I would guess that might simply things for your decision making.
Sounds like we agree on the car, but maybe not on the charging adapter: I think anyone who wants one will be able to get it before the end of this year, and should plan to do that because otherwise you get no tax credit.

Oh this is going to get really good

planet4ever said:
Nissan says they want to produce 50K cars the first year, but have a capacity to produce no more than 12K by March, which is four months. That says they are ramping up, which makes sense. My guess is that no more than a thousand will be on the road by the end of the year.

Yes - in the same place Ghosn says they are trying to increase production. In anycase, as I said above, even with 12K - all initial reservations in launch states should be fulfulled by Mar '11.

I'd be willing to bet there are remote parts of it where you are unlikely to be able to get a Leaf at all in 2011, except by planning a several hundred mile trip to get it home.

Possibly - but those would be the exceptions to my "rule".

So, yes, end of March may be a good guess, if you are close to a launching area, but don't count on getting your Leaf much earlier than that.

Why not ? Someone's got to get the cars ! I think a lot of us in the launch cities, who booked on 20th are likely to get the cars this year.

OK back to the topic. I live in Phoenix metro area of AZ. And yes I put my $99 on 4/20. I waited all day at my computer and the minute the email arrived I opened the link and paid. I also signed up for the etec project to get the free charger.

Gonewild said:
I waited all day at my computer and the minute the email arrived I opened the link and paid.

Me too - the first legitimate reports of emails being received came in at 5:28pm (Eastern), I got it at 5:30pm, and had my car reserved by 5:33pm. Most of the 3 minutes was spent agonizing over color choice.

Well I hope I am on the short list to get the car because I sent the money in as soon as I could. I do drive about 38 miles each way to work and may get an outlet there if needed to complete the trip with out having to stop and charge on the way home. By the way the Phoenix area already has 20 charge stations installed here and many more to come. On Nissan site you can now get the car in the color you want to order in a jpg file. I selected a color they call Super Black. I am in hope that living in a HOT area and needing to drive that far and will need charging stops maybe should help me get closer in the EV project profile. I also have a 200amp electric service panel and a garage to park the car, internet and a smart phone that was all the question on the survey. They are not going to give a free charger to someone who drive every other day to the store?

Any thoughts about the color black being worse for the batterys then any other color. I here once the car is hot in the sun does not matter much what color it is. I'd like to contact myth busters to see what they think. Beside the battery is on the bottom of the car which is closer to the street so color would not matter anyway? Thanks

Test:
On a sunny day, go to a place (a dealer perhaps) where there are many identical (or similar) cars of different colors.

Test the temperature on the roof of a black car and compare that to a nearby white car. I think you will find a very-noticable difference in temperatures on the roof, and inside the car as well.

Note: Please perform the test carefully to avoid burning your hand.

I will try that maybe this weekend. I have one of those laser temperature guns I got at harbor freight. Can someone ask the Moderator of this web site to enable the avatar images.

mwalsh said:
Gonewild said:
I waited all day at my computer and the minute the email arrived I opened the link and paid.

Me too - the first legitimate reports of emails being received came in at 5:28pm (Eastern), I got it at 5:30pm, and had my car reserved by 5:33pm. Most of the 3 minutes was spent agonizing over color choice.

Me three! I reserved within 5 minutes of the email on Apr. 20th (found it in my 'spam' folder even though I had their email addy in my address book) and two weeks prior had already signed up for the free charging station with the EV Project. :)

evnow said:
Gonewild said:
Can someone ask the Moderator of this web site to enable the avatar images.
I've already sent a PM to the admin to enable avatars (mods can't do that).
I prefer the nice clean look of no avatars. If people would be tasteful, and especially avoid those *&$%^#& animated gifs I wouldn't mind, but there's always a few who ... shall we say ... have differing views of "tasteful" from mine. At the very least, I hope there is a strict size limit on them so they are all unobtrusive, but my vote is for no avatars.

Just show them with a user's public "profile". They are not necessary on individual posts, and they slow down the server and page loading.

I vote against showing the avatar on each post. Instead, keep things FAST. Thanks

Rat said:
evnow said:
Gonewild said:
Can someone ask the Moderator of this web site to enable the avatar images.
I've already sent a PM to the admin to enable avatars (mods can't do that).
I prefer the nice clean look of no avatars. If people would be tasteful, and especially avoid those *&$%^#& animated gifs I wouldn't mind, but there's always a few who ... shall we say ... have differing views of "tasteful" from mine. At the very least, I hope there is a strict size limit on them so they are all unobtrusive, but my vote is for no avatars.

I understand about gif but I have a Nissan Leaf avatar I would like to use

If you are not in one of the 5 rollout states, there is no gurantee as to when you will get your Leaf.

I went to my Nissan dealer (more than one), and asked, and they both had the same answer "We have been hearing the 2nd half of 2011".

The reasons, is very simple:

They can only train so many technicians and salepeople at once in each area, so they must rollout the Leafs in areas where they have trained their dealer network, the state/commonwealth has signed the MOU, and there is public charging infrastructure planned (or being installed). That process is not expected to be completed before the end of 2011 for all 50 states.

That's why, even though Nissan can mfr all the qty of Leafs on the preorder list, you may not get yours until much later, as it depends on more than just mfr the cars.

so for us not in the rollout areas, if you want the EVSE tax credit, you may have to contact an electrician and find out about getting one installed on your own, if Nissan doesn't plan on getting this done before the end of 2010 for those unfortunates among us :(

mitch672 said:
If you are not in one of the 5 rollout states, there is no gurantee as to when you will get your Leaf.

I went to my Nissan dealer (more than one), and asked, and they both had the same answer "We have been hearing the 2nd half of 2011".

I remember Perry or someone answering specifically about earlier rollout in MA. Have to search ...

evnow said:
mitch672 said:

I remember Perry or someone answering specifically about earlier rollout in MA. Have to search ...

The commonwealth of Massachusetts has signed the MOU, however, I don't think we get them until later in 2011, the parking garages around here know nothing about EV's yet, I have been educating the manager of the garage I park in (a major one in downtown Boston), they actually have a meeting on May 20th to discuss EV charging, as one of the items on their agenda. I have sent them links to the "EV Project", "The Electrification Coalition", and of course to "the ChargePoint Network" and "coulomb technology"

http://electriccarsreport.com/2010/02/nissan-forms-ev-partnership-with-state-of-massachusetts/

So someone like me with 4 kids, and a ton of donations,and a mortgage, who dosent basically pay taxes has no incentives to buy a Leaf. That may kill it for me!

Guipo

Back