Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of questions, hopefully I'm not asking something available somewhere else, I've looked at the Wiki.

I've just purchased the Pro version and I have n/a for tire pressures and don't know how to get to the Service Menu. I would be happy to receive some simple tips.

Great app, enjoying it quite a bit. Thanks for your time.

WiredForStereo said:
A couple of questions, hopefully I'm not asking something available somewhere else, I've looked at the Wiki.

I've just purchased the Pro version and I have n/a for tire pressures and don't know how to get to the Service Menu. I would be happy to receive some simple tips.

Great app, enjoying it quite a bit. Thanks for your time.
The tires must be rotating to wake up the in wheel TPMS sensor so drive a few hundred feet. This assumes your Leaf has the TPMS installed. In some countries it is not required by law.

To enable the Service Menu go to the end of the Settings menu and check the "Enable" box in the "Service Screen" section. App start-up default is to always disable Service screen.

Turbo3 said:
The app uses the device's default font.

Look in your device's settings for a way to change the default font.

I notice the same issue with my nexus 7 after upgrade to android kitkat 4.4. Haven't found a way to return to the regular font.

opencar said:
Turbo3 said:
The app uses the device's default font.

Look in your device's settings for a way to change the default font.

I notice the same issue with my nexus 7 after upgrade to android kitkat 4.4. Haven't found a way to return to the regular font.

start at the home screen

menu
settings
My Device
Display
Font Style

This is pathing for Galaxy 4. your pathing will vary

My LEAF Spy is on a Motorola Droid Bionic which has no font options

I only ever get to this screen by accident, since battery temperatures are readily available elsewhere in the app. However, there may be a problem with the display of negative ones.

cdxNd1R.jpg

EvansvilleLeaf said:
ok new app user here and can't help but notice all screen shots have solid text not the very hard to read outline text I have. I've already tried settings - is this a feature of Pro vs Lite or just a setting I haven't found? Thx.
My Nexus just updated to KitKat 4.4 and now I have the outline text too.

It is only on graphics text that gets written with DrawText using the Default font (android.graphics.Typeface).

There is probably not a setting to change it. Will probably need to switch to another font.

=============================================================================
Update: Problem fixed with new core.jar for Basic4Android.

Will need to recompile and release updated versions of Leaf Spy.

Staque said:
In my 2013 SV, the screen goes to "headlights off" mode when I use my high beams.
If you can take an ELM trace while stepping from headlights off -> on -> hi beams -> on -> off pausing about 10 seconds at each state. I can take a look at the sequence for your 2013 Leaf and fix the app.

Go to settings bottom and check "Trace ELM". Exit app then restart and run through the above sequence while connected to the Leaf (Leaf on). Then exit app and send me the latest TRC_xxxx.txt file you find in LEAF_BT_CAN folder. Use email address on About screen.

Berlino said:
I only ever get to this screen by accident, since battery temperatures are readily available elsewhere in the app. However, there may be a problem with the display of negative ones.

cdxNd1R.jpg
Found the problem. I put this bug in when I decided to encode shunts being active as negative cell battery voltages.

I modified the chart routine to absolute value all data. Later I added the temperature graph using the same chart code.

Fix was adding a flag to the chart routine to control using absolute value data or not. For cell voltages yes for temperatures no.

75ej.png

Version 0.29.16 of Leaf Spy Pro has been uploaded to the beta test site. Should take a couple of hours to show up.

* Fixed Outline font being using for graphic text on Android KitKat 4.4
* Fixed negative temperatures not displayed correctly
* Possible fix for 2013 models having high beams look like the lights are off
* Final version of DTC Clearing code. Scrolling supported if you have a large number of DTCs
* Added "Secure" option to port number selection

Beta testers give it a try and report any issues. If no problems this will be moved to release stage.

Request: when first starting the app, can we have the display default to night mode until it detects the ELM?

Otherwise, I'm stuck with a really bright display until it makes a connection, which is not ideal in the dark.

I just used the beta app (29.16) to check and clear DTCs.
2011 SL with QC, with the car fully Ready.

I checked and the app reported just one:
B2820 charger...

Clearing did not report which DTCs it was going to clear,
which would have been a helpful confirmation.

It just said the Charger, and that it would clear DTC and FFD (?)...
Apparently the Diagnostic Trouble Codes and the Freeze Frame Data.

Must they both be cleared together?

I asked it to clear, and it did, and took me immediately
back to the Read DTC page, and automatically re-read
the DTCs. There were none reported.
So, apparently it worked.

I forgot to try to power off/on and drive.
will do so now. Edit: car drives OK, but
I have not tried charging.

I will try another car later.

garygid said:
I just used the beta app (29.16) to check and clear DTCs.
2011 SL with QC, with the car fully Ready.

I checked and the app reported just one:
B2820 charger...

Clearing did not report which DTCs it was going to clear,
which would have been a helpful confirmation.

It just said the Charger, and that it would clear DTC and FFD (?)...
Apparently the Diagnostic Trouble Codes and the Freeze Frame Data.

Must they both be cleared together?

I asked it to clear, and it did, and took me immediately
back to the Read DTC page, and automatically re-read
the DTCs. There were none reported.
So, apparently it worked.

I forgot to try to power off/on and drive.
will do so now.

I will try another car later.
When Clearing DTCs you get to select the ECU unit (Charger, BCM, ABS ...) you can not select an individual DTC. If you only have DTCs from a single ECU then the ECU selection list will only have that one ECU listed. If you had DTCs from other ECUs the selection list would be longer.

Clearing a DTC also clears its associated Freeze Frame Data. It would make no sense to clear just one and not the other. The DTC points to the FFD.

After Clearing an ECU the app automatically does a Read ECU to confirm it has been cleared. If the cause of the DTC was not corrected the the DTC will come back.

I just cleared DTCs on two more 2011 SL LEAFs.

The first had one DTC about low FL tire pressure, that
subsequently had been pumped up.

In ckearing, I hit the Ok to clear on the warning message,
and nothing visible happened, and the code was still there.

Trying again, the yellow wait/clearing box appeared, the
code was gone, and the car drove OK.

The second had 7 DTCs, in 3 different controller units.
Choosing the desired radio button did not work very well,
with something like 3 out of 4 touches doing nothing.

When the desired controller was selected, the clearing did
not happen several times after answering "yes" to the warning
message. Eventually the yellow wait/clearing box appered,
and we got all three ECUs cleared.

So, it worked, but (on my Vizio VTAB1008 Tablet, which usually
has very reliable touches) it seemed as if the LEAF Spy Pro was
having trouble getting the touch input reliably.

In contrast, both the Ok to the app's Exit message, and the radio-
button selection of ELM327 Bluetooth devices always work well.

A wonderfully helpful function, THANKS.

Gary,
Thanks for the report on test version 0.29.16. I will remove the code that was probably causing the Clearing to sometimes abort after you selected "Yes".

The release version of Leaf Spy Pro will now be 0.29.17.

Thanks!

My suggestion is on a basic level. And that is that the already outstanding "information model" should progress to a "computation model."

In other words, the user clicks "Start" and the program records initial readings. When they choose to "End," there is a calculation made up of the total amount of miles traveled, kWh used, etc. to give them the most accurate reading of miles/kWh etc. All of this can be done manually at this point from the available data. Somewhere, there's also got to be the ambient temperature outside...and other useful information.

Then, the info could be recorded, emailed, exported to a spreadsheet, etc. for an ongoing record.

Also, splitting out screens so that the first screen is the basic information now at the top of...

VIN, SOC, GIDs
%GID/%SOC
Mileage
Charges (any way to tell how many are 80% vs 100%?)

Save the detailed battery readout for the second page...better yet, make it a menu choice.

Obviously, "thinking" about changes is much simpler than actually making them happen! ;-) I'm pleased to have purchased the Pro version and look forwad to seeing its progress as an App. We support what you are doing!

Back