Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
garygid said:
The second had 7 DTCs, in 3 different controller units.
Choosing the desired radio button did not work very well,
with something like 3 out of 4 touches doing nothing.
I missed this one at first but I just had it happen to me when the Leaf 12v battery started to die while testing and I got 13 DTCs from 6 ECUs.

Like Gary reported I had a really hard time selecting an ECU.

Just found the bug and fixed it.

Turbo3 said:
Just tap the little light bulb in lower left corner to force night mode.
It's not sticky though, right?
So I have to tap it at startup every time?

Can we instead choose the default mode before a connection is made based on something simple like time-of-day?

garsh said:
Turbo3 said:
Just tap the little light bulb in lower left corner to force night mode.
It's not sticky though, right?
So I have to tap it at startup every time?

Can we instead choose the default mode before a connection is made based on something simple like time-of-day?

mine stays on night mode... all black background right? i leave it there all the time...looks better i think

Two ways I use that DTE calculator:

1) Set the miles/kWh to whatever is showing on the dash and then determine DTE. Most users probably do this. It would be nice to have the DTE calculator (lower right of screen 4) have the option to pull from current mileage (either dash figure if available through OBDII, or maybe an app-calculated 5-minute history miles/kWh figure) so it doesn't have to be adjusted all the time.

2) Change the miles/kWh until the DTE reads the number of miles that I need to travel until I reach my destination, then adjust energy use (speed, heater, acceleration) to keep miles/kWh at or above that figure. This method works well in the winter, or any other time I'm really stretching the battery.

garsh said:
Request: when first starting the app, can we have the display default to night mode until it detects the ELM?

Otherwise, I'm stuck with a really bright display until it makes a connection, which is not ideal in the dark.
I have added a "Default Night Mode" to the bottom of the Settings/Screen panel to control the initial Night setting until the Leaf Headlight status is read.

b122.png

since the last update both my ahr and health have stayed the same. not sure if i should be concerned about a possible bug or be happy that my pack has reached a point of stability for the first time since i got the app?

DaveinOlyWA said:
since the last update both my ahr and health have stayed the same. not sure if i should be concerned about a possible bug or be happy that my pack has reached a point of stability for the first time since i got the app?
You need to be on Screen 1 or have logging enabled for those values to be updated.

So if you normally run the app on screen 4 with logging off then exit your Leaf so you are out of BT range and switch to Screen 1 it will not be showing the current values for AHr or SOC.

I just checked my latest versions of Lite and Pro that I will be releasing and both AHr and Hx changed from their previous values (57.53/84.66% to 57.50/84.59%). SOH changes so slowly it will takes weeks or months to see a change.

Turbo3 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
You need to be on Screen 1 or have logging enabled for those values to be updated.

So if you normally run the app on screen 4 with logging off then exit your Leaf so you are out of BT range and switch to Screen 1 it will not be showing the current values for AHr or SOC.

I just checked my latest versions of Lite and Pro that I will be releasing and both AHr and Hx changed from their previous values (57.53/84.66% to 57.50/84.59%). SOH changes so slowly it will takes weeks or months to see a change.

I am usually on screen one and logging "should be" enabled...at least it was before the update. have not really looked at it lately but I generally bounce from screen one to 4 several times during a session.

I have a suggestion for an upgrade. Not sure if this has been discussed or suggested before or not.

I'd like the app to be able to display regen kW and include a resettable Max Regen kW field. I know that Gary et al found the code for regen and power kW and included those readouts in the original Gidmeter. The purpose of this feature would be to assess regen strength objectively. There has been much discussion about reduced regen after recent LEAF firmware updates. The relative regen strengths between 2013 LEAFs and the older models has also been of interest.

TomT said:
I'm not sure that the BT update rate is fast enough for this to be any great value...

Boomer23 said:
I'd like the app to be able to display regen kW and include a resettable Max Regen kW field.
What CAR-CAN message ID are we talking about? Is it 0x1D5? Or motor amps 0x260?

In listen mode BT OBDII should handle about 200 frames per second. Should be more than fast enough for a dedicated monitor (i.e. nothing else going on).

Turbo3 said:
TomT said:
I'm not sure that the BT update rate is fast enough for this to be any great value...

Boomer23 said:
I'd like the app to be able to display regen kW and include a resettable Max Regen kW field.
What CAR-CAN message ID are we talking about? Is it 0x1D5? Or motor amps 0x260?

In listen mode BT OBDII should handle about 200 frames per second. Should be more than fast enough for a dedicated monitor (i.e. nothing else going on).

Let's ask Gary.

Garygid, can you help supply Turbo3 with the CAR-CAN message ID for the Regen kW?

QueenBee said:
Turbo3 said:
This brings up a good question, where this is the standard does that area of the world not have CSV files. What do they use instead?

There isn't a universally agreed upon standard but the easy fix is to just enclose the values in double quotes. Then encoding any double quotes with double double quotes.

They might also use CSV to mean character seperated values where the character is a semicolon, tab, etc.

As soon as I saw Jim's question I thought about pipe-delimited records. I'd vote for that before suggesting the use of double quotes around all fields. Just my 2 cents worth. :)

Cheers, Bert / KG4BEC

I have been busy cleaning up the code that reading DTCs.

I am now able to read DTCs from all ECUs including from the Telematics unit (TCU). The code that read DTCs from the TCU was previously commented out because I could not get any data from the Leaf.

After investigating the problem I found that the Leaf is sending the data. The problem was that the ELM327, for some reason (firmware bug?), will not pass it on to the app but claims "NO DATA" received. Luckily I was able to find a work around. The last item in the screenshot is the DTC from the TCU. Also reordered the list so it is in alphabetical order and added a count of total DTCs at the top.

I will now move on to validating the DTC clearing code. Then it will be ready for general release.

xz4o.png

DaveinOlyWA said:
To address this concern and insure we are always looking at fresh data I am adding a change to the code.

When first connecting to the Leaf (reading VIN) the app will now clear to zero AHr, SOH, SOC and Hx. So when you see a non-zero value you will know it was just read from the Leaf and is not old saved data.

I currently rely on the fact that I can run the program later and see the last data. So I hope you will clear it only after connecting, and not just because I started the program.

gbarry42 said:
I currently rely on the fact that I can run the program later and see the last data. So I hope you will clear it only after connecting, and not just because I started the program.
Only cleared after the Leaf has started to send data. So if Leaf is off or not in range it does not get cleared.

Also, unless battery data is successfully read from the Leaf no saved data is updated.

If one has purchased LEAF Spy Pro, can they get
the LEAF Spy (standard version) for free?

The Play Store seems to indicate that one needs to buy it.

Yes, it would be nice to show others all three versions.
Thanks

garygid said:
If one has purchased LEAF Spy Pro, can they get
the LEAF Spy (standard version) for free?

The Play Store seems to indicate that one needs to buy it.

Yes, it would be nice to show others all three versions.
Thanks
Sorry, at the moment I don't know a way around it. Even I had to buy both versions (I did get 70% back as part of the sale though but Google wants their 30%).

Moments ago I released new versions of all three apps Lite, standard and Pro to Play Store. Lots of small fixes plus DTC clearing for the PRO version.

Did not have time to validate the DTC clearing the away I wanted too but I needed to get all the fixes out. So post any issues with DTC Clearing and I will fix them in the next release.

It will take about 90 minutes for the new versions to show up on Play Store.

UPDATE: All updated versions are now available from Play Store.

Back