Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will see what I can do. But the upper left number is always the front left tire. Orientation does not change that. Top of screen always has the android notification area and clock so that is the front of the car. Left is left right is right. So you are looking down on the car. But if an arrow makes that clearer it can be added between the top two numbers.

Turbo3 said:
I will see what I can do. But the upper left number is always the front left tire. Orientation does not change that. Top of screen always has the android notification area and clock so that is the front of the car. Left is left right is right. So you are looking down on the car. But if an arrow makes that clearer it can be added between the top two numbers.

Easier than going back to this forum to verify I got it right. :) But either way, I appreciate you looking into this. Cheers!

I wonder how many people bother to reregister their tire locations after a rotation or the like so that the locations actually are correct and the display will have true meaning... I know I don't bother...

TimeHorse said:
Anyway, so let me try a tyre pressure request redux. Rather than the "car" glyph I suggested earlier, how hard would it be to add an arrow to the 4 tyre pressure gauges such that the arrow always points to the front of the car. So to the left of the point of the arrow is Front-Left, etc. This shouldn't be too hard to do and would help with the confusion I get between landscape and portrait orientation.

Perhaps TimeHorse is not understanding the
tire pressure layout in LEAF Spy / Pro:

As best as the car / app knows, assuming
that the pressure sensors have been properly
registered and "located" on the car...

the upper left pressure is the front left tire,
upper right is front right,
lower left is back left tire,
and the lower right is the back right tire.

Always, in landscape or portrait mode,
upper is front, lower is back
left is left, and right is right.

If there was a car or arrow, it would always be
pointed/headed "up", so it would never give any
additional information, thus basically useless,
unless one needs an arrow on the dashboard
to remind them which direction the car is facing.

Hint: Usually, when driving, one is facing the
front of the car, and the left arm is on the left
side of the body, and the right arm, if any, is
(or was) attached to the right side of the body.

Ok, please excuse the over-simplification.

The real problem is that neither the car nor the
Spy app have any definite knowledge of where
the tire pressure sensors are located.

So, there is the tire-location initialization
procedure, included in the LEAF Spy Pro app.

Has anyone looked into the CAN messages related to remote climate control?

I would pay for Leaf Spy Pro again if it could turn on my remote climate control!! It would be way more convenient in a lot of circumstances than [attempting to use] Carwings.

I don't know why they put a button on my key fob to open the freaking charge door, but not to turn on the heat.

garygid said:
Perhaps TimeHorse is not understanding the
tire pressure layout in LEAF Spy / Pro:

:lol: When I look at the app, I always assumed lower was front because when I hold the phone lower is farther away so lower is front and upper is back. An arrow would make it crystal clear. I just have this annoying tyre that's constantly stuck at 3 psi lower than the rest of the car, and I had the same condition before I rotated most recently even though I told the dealership 42 psi all around. So it is vexing and I think either way I'm gonna have to buy a compressor.

Just got the Leaf Spy App, had to get an Android phone only for this purpose.

My rig:

Virgin Kyocera Event (Thank god for cheap phones)
Vgate ELM327 Bluetooth Scan Tool OBD2 OBDII Scanner for TORQUE APP ANDROID
So far Leaf Spy Lite
Im trying to decipher this app. If there is a post that explains each displayed value displayed and how to navigate around the app, that would be super useful. I could see only 3 screens when my car was in the garage in P mode.

Photos attached.

1. Is it a problem to leave the OBDII plugged in always?
2. SOH is at 81%, SOC is at 91%. What do these two really mean?
3.Cell #14 shows a red line. What does that mean?

How do I see the other screens on this app- GIDS/ Tire voltage etc? Does it require the car to be in D/Eco mode or do I need the Pro version of the app.

How do you add an attachment here?

Staque said:

Working on it! :) I found a 68 msg with a payload of 00 00 at the beginning of a climate control request from carwings and I tried sending it manually but it didn't do anything. Will give it another go in a few days.

JeremyW said:
Staque said:

Working on it! :) I found a 68 msg with a payload of 00 00 at the beginning of a climate control request from carwings and I tried sending it manually but it didn't do anything. Will give it another go in a few days.
Do you mean msgID of 0x068 on the CAR CAN bus?

trojanm50 said:
Just got the Leaf Spy App, had to get an Android phone only for this purpose.

My rig:

Virgin Kyocera Event (Thank god for cheap phones)
Vgate ELM327 Bluetooth Scan Tool OBD2 OBDII Scanner for TORQUE APP ANDROID
So far Leaf Spy Lite
Im trying to decipher this app. If there is a post that explains each displayed value displayed and how to navigate around the app, that would be super useful. I could see only 3 screens when my car was in the garage in P mode.

Photos attached.

2. SOH is at 81%, SOC is at 91%. What do these two really mean?
3.Cell #14 shows a red line. What does that mean?

How do I see the other screens on this app- GIDS/ Tire voltage etc? Does it require the car to be in D/Eco mode or do I need the Pro version of the app.

How do you add an attachment here?
You should use "Preview" before you "Submit" your post to be sure you have the right syntax to display images. Just below the "Submit" button there is a panel to "Upload attachment". The post should really be in the Leaf Spy Lite topic not in Leaf Spy/Pro.

Answers:
1. It will drain the battery if you leave it in for a few weeks without driving while the charge cable is plugged in.
2. SOH is State of Health of the battery (indication of the max energy you could put in the battery this will decrease with age), SOC is State of Charge (how much energy is currently in the battery relative to the current SOH max value)
3. Red means the shunt is currently active which bleeds an small amount of energy from that cell to try to balance all cells in the pack.

You need to buy the Leaf Spy or Leaf Spy Pro to see the GIDS or Tire pressures. Read through the descriptions on Play Store for each of the version.

Turbo3 said:
JeremyW said:
Staque said:

Do you mean msgID of 0x068 on the CAR CAN bus?
068C was the message on the EV bus, but I found that the TCU wakes up the VCM over a dedicated logic line, not CAN. Thus making remote wakeup much more difficult. :?

TomT said:
I wonder how many people bother to reregister their tire locations after a rotation or the like so that the locations actually are correct and the display will have true meaning... I know I don't bother...

I don't bother either. The rotators just move them front to back so now I know that the two front readouts are the back and vice-versa.

trojanm50 said:

Just to be safe, take your dongle apart (easy with the four screws), and switch the wire on pin 16 to pin 8 which will change it from power always on to switched power.

I've had my OBDII adapter plugged in and running 24/7 for about six months. If I press a button on my key fob, I can get a reading from my house.

Turbo3 said:
1. It will drain the battery if you leave it in for a few weeks without driving while the charge cable is plugged in.
Actually, I was in the UK for 5 days and came home to a dead 12VAC; had a spare battery in my old ICE to save the day but no, I'd not recommend leaving the LEAF plugged in and the ELM in for more than a couple days.

JeremyW said:
JeremyW said:
Staque said:

068C was the message on the EV bus, but I found that the TCU wakes up the VCM over a dedicated logic line, not CAN. Thus making remote wakeup much more difficult. :?
Is the message now 0x68C not 0x068? Or was that a typo?

I have two sets of rims/tires that I swap out for the winter. Discount Tire will reprogram the TPMS for the other set, but they do it wrong every time requiring a follow-up visit.

I couldn't tell if Leaf Spy Pro will reprogram the car to work with different TPMS sensors or not. I will definitely buy it if that is the case to avoid trips to have them reprogrammed.

reeler said:
I have two sets of rims/tires that I swap out for the winter. Discount Tire will reprogram the TPMS for the other set, but they do it wrong every time requiring a follow-up visit.

I couldn't tell if Leaf Spy Pro will reprogram the car to work with different TPMS sensors or not. I will definitely buy it if that is the case to avoid trips to have them reprogrammed.
If your Leaf is able to see both sets after they program it then Leaf Spy Pro can do the same. The registration process is handled by the Leaf not by Leaf Spy Pro. The only thing Leaf Spy Pro does is tell the Leaf to start the registration process just like the Dealer's tool does. Leaf Spy Pro then checks the status for completion or fail.

Prior to running the procedure you must adjust each tire to a specific pressure. You set them to 35, 32, 29 26 PSI starting with the front left tire and going clockwise. Then drive and run the app. This way the Leaf can tell the location by the pressure it is sent by each TPMS unit.

So if the TPMS units are compatible with the Leaf it should work.

Project Update:
* Just ordered a Kindle Fire HD to use for Leaf Spy testing. So expect working Kindle versions of Leaf Spy in January.
* New Braking screen should be available for testing in the next couple of days. It will probably still have the one remaining issue but should be good enough for some feed back. It uses a special technique which I have not fully mastered yet but I am close. (Connection might drop after sitting on brake screen for 10 to 45 minutes. For debug there is a timer in lower right corner that stops when this happens so you can give me the exact time if it does this.)
* New orientation symbol for tire pressure sub-panel so new users know how the psi numbers match up with the car (assuming proper tire registration).

If anyone has an old android device that does not have GPS but is running android 2.2 or higher I need one for testing to make GPS optional for Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro. It can be a donation to the project or I can return it to you after I get the app working. Best way to check if your old device is what I need is to go to Play Store. If you are allowed to install Leaf Spy Lite but not Leaf Spy or Leaf Spy Pro that is what I am looking for.

Back