Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GerryAZ said:
xado1 said:
no chance to make it work,not even with 2 different adapters,i am still waiting for a third one,should come next week.
i tried to uninstall and after new installing its not wotking anymore,but leaf lite is working without proplems.
then i uninstalled agaion,and installes the 29.17 version,but after staring the app,it showed me 29.19 again,without funktion.

To get the V29.19 Pro app to work until you get a new ELM unit:

1. Open the app without ELM plugged into car.
2. Go into settings and uncheck the Enable Brake Screen under the Debug section.
3. Exit from the settings screen.
4. Plug the ELM unit into the car.

The app should then connect to the ELM and function normally without the brake screen.

Gerry
You only need to disable Bluetooth then start app and answer NO to enabling Bluetooth. Then you are in Offline mode and can make any changes you want or look at the saved data.

This works as long as you have not checked the "Auto Enable Bluetooth". Then you just need to be out of range of the ELM so Bluetooth does not connect.

Suggestion for Beta versions.
I suggest you create a Leaf Spy Beta that is free, but
limited to your beta testing people, like you do with
Leaf Spy Pro now. Then, the beta testers can still have
the last release (working version) of Leaf Spy Pro to use,
just like non-testers.

As it is now, being a beta tester, I cannot get a working
Leaf Spy Pro app to use, or demonstrate.

If you cannot do something so that I can get the same app that
non-testers get, then please take me off the list of beta testers.

I have bought ELM devices from about 4 different vendors.
I bought about 20 from one vendor, but received devices that
looked the same externally, but have at least 3 different circuits
inside. You order, and generally there is no guarantee that you
will get the same thing.

Many of these ELM devices have been working with all versions
of Leaf Spy Lite and Pro up to the 29.19 Beta.

Unless the Braking screen requires some new form of data
gathering from the ELM device, the x.19 beta version must have
a bug.

If you saying that the bug is only when the Braking screen
is enabled, then it is the data gathering that would be the ptoblem.
However, I presume that you only start gathering after getting
connected to the ELM, and mine is failing to connect.

Next time out, I will try to run with the Braking screen disabled.

Merry Christmas, Gary

Here is an update Settings screen I just completed for the DTE and Battery Panels.

Removed two unneeded check boxes from the DTE panel (the removed selections where also made by tapping the DTE area on screen 4 so no need to have them here too), moved the Shunt Order selection to the Battery panel where it belongs and relabeled the Alt DTE calc checkbox to indicate what it really does.

1z3w.png

garygid said:
Unless the Braking screen requires some new form of data
gathering from the ELM device, the x.19 beta version must have
a bug.

If you saying that the bug is only when the Braking screen
is enabled, then it is the data gathering that would be the problem.
However, I presume that you only start gathering after getting
connected to the ELM, and mine is failing to connect.

Next time out, I will try to run with the Braking screen disabled.

Merry Christmas, Gary
I have a tested fix for the initial connection problem that happens on a few ELMs.

The problem has nothing to do with the brake/motor screen. In an effort to collect as much information as possible about a problem into the ELM Log file I added an "AT PPS" command to the start of the connection sequence. This is a standard ELM command to dump all the Programmable Parameters.

What appears to happen is some ELMs send all the data at once and overflow their internal 255 byte transmit buffer so the last characters are lost and never make it to the app. The app then gets stuck waiting for the ending ">" character that will never come. The fix detects this type of event and continues so there is no hang.

Yes, the app does use a new sequence to capture data for the brake/motor screens. I have seen no code "bug" in any of the traces I have looked at. Data just stops coming from the ELM. This new sequence pushes the ELM to its limits. So if there are any timing problems in the ELM's microcode they may and seem to be showing up.

Gerry sent me two nice traces that show data stops coming from the ELM after 67.5 sec in one case and 84.7 seconds in the other. Why it stopped is internal to the ELM so there is nothing I can do to avoid it (actually there is something but it reduces function and I may make it a selectable option for those with problem ELMs).

What I need now is to get hold of an ELM that fails this way (not one with the AT PPS problem that I have a fix for) so I can do some testing to see what recovery I can come up with that will wake the ELM up and get data flowing again.

Here is a Motor Power trace where I took it to full power. Note that it peaks at 80kW.

89sg.png

I have just released 0.29.20 as a replacement for 0.29.19 which was giving some testers problems on startup. This includes the one line fix for the "AT PPS" problem on some ELMs.

So if you uncheck the "Enable Brake Screen" in Settings it should act just like the released version. If not let me know.

It does include a couple of minor updates like full VIN checking (must have only characters 0-9,A-Z to be valid), the fix so a zero SOH never gets saved and faster SOH reading until a non-zero SOH is read.

I must have been having the ATPPS problem.
For some reason, it is difficult for you to increase the inbound buffer size?

Thanks for the new version, I will test v29.20 tomorrow.
Cheers, Gary

sorry if this has been asked before but in my LEAF Spy my GID is set at 77.5 wh. now is this the standard or is it 80 or did I change it a long time ago for an unknown and possibly invalid reason and forgot about it?

I think that is our current best guess at usable energy per GID. Nissan defines it as 80 wh on their test tool but we are more interested in how much usable energy we have for driving.

I think Tony Williams is our expert on that and where the number came from if I am not mistaken.

Turbo3 said:
I think that is our current best guess at usable energy per GID. Nissan defines it as 80 wh on their test tool but we are more interested in how much usable energy we have for driving.

I think Tony Williams is our expert on that and where the number came from if I am not mistaken.

ok so i just leave it at 77.5 then

Turbo3 said:

Yes, the lower Wh figure per GID is to reflect usable battery capacity. The 80 Wh are stored energy, which is also what most of the instruments index. This is because it's difficult to estimate battery losses upfront. That depends on the discharge current and vehicle speed, among other things. When you multiply 281 GID by 77.5 Wh, you will get 21,777.5 kWh of usable capacity. It's worth noting that the last four or five GIDs are not accessible to us, which leaves us with 21,390 kWh. That's a very close match to 21,381 kWh NREL has determined in their tear-down analysis. Drivers typically use 21 kWh as the standard figure for usable capacity, which can be multiplied with energy economy for range prediction. So in essence, this was done to facilitate more accurate and more realistic range estimates provided by LeafSpy.

nrelreportleaf
batteryproblemmnl

DaveinOlyWA said:
ok so i just leave it at 77.5 then
Yes, definitely. There is a system to the madness.

Purchased leaf Pro Today.
Only shows first 3 screens .
BATTERY TEMP ,DTC SCREENS ,CODE , DOOR LOCKS ETC (All Missing )
ONLY 4 DOTS IN CORNER Detecting only 4 screens loaded.
Using Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 ( Running Android version 4.2.2)
leaf pro version v0.29.17 running
Any Ideas ????

P.S Leaf Lite works perfect including Battery temp
2013 Red SV 1778K miles/12 bars/284Gids/67.19AHr/100% SOH/108.8% Hx on 23 Dec13

MIKEA said:
Purchased leaf Pro Today.
Only shows first 3 screens .
BATTERY TEMP ,DTC SCREENS ,CODE , DOOR LOCKS ETC (All Missing )
ONLY 4 DOTS IN CORNER Detecting only 4 screens loaded.
Using Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 ( Running Android version 4.2.2)
leaf pro version v0.29.17 running
Any Ideas ????

P.S Leaf Lite works perfect including Battery temp
The Service screens default to disabled. Go to Settings/Service Screen and check "Enable".

The second screen toggles between Battery Voltage Histogram and Battery Temperature. Tap screen to switch.

Turbo3 said:
I know there is one know issue which I have a tested fix for with 0.29.19 hanging at "Wait 4 ELM 01" state that is ELM related.
0.29.19 didn't work for me. I was reading the forum here to see if it was a known issue when the 0.29.20 update came out and fixed my ELM connect issue. I am willing to give you this cheap ELM if you want one of these that failed for testing. You have my email address. Just let me know where to send it and what better model you'd recommend.

I'll check out the brake screen now.

Turbo3 said:
For those testing the brake screen when it stops working does the OBDII device disappear from the Select OBDII list?

For me it is still there, selected in the list.
The screen is updating for couple of mins then stops.

Another thing that I noticed is that there's no visible representation of regen.
It shows battery consumption, breaking distribution, but if you are not pressing on brake there's nothing reported for regen.

Back