Leaf S Heater DOA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just as a follow up, it took 2 days short of a month to get the heater replaced in my leaf. Heater works great now and starts blowing hot air a lot faster than my ICE car ever did.

Glad to hear of your success. I'm wondering for us whether our heat is fixed well enough. It seems to take about 10 minutes to really get Comfortably hot. Is that how yours is? Thanks.

Back on page 2 of this thread 702jesse told us he had an S model. (I wish I didn't have to search to find things like that. Please, folks, tell us your year and model in your signature.) Since Renee is complaining about a slow warmup I'm guessing she does, too. We do expect the S model to warm slowly, because it first heats a 'kettle' of water on 'an electric stove', and only after that is hot does it start blowing air through the heating coils. I guess it could be faster than an ICE car, since that has to wait for the engine block to get hot before it can heat the 'kettle' of water. Folks with a 2013 SV or SL can get almost immediate heat from the heat pump.

Ray

I've noticed on these cold morning warmups, things heat a lot faster if I take the car out of eco mode. I figure, heat is heat. I need to warm the car up. I'm not saving anything by letting it trickle in vs letting it gush in all at once and then shutting it down. It's going to take a couple percent of charge no matter what I do.

ECO mode lowers the electric drain to the heater. Thus slows down the rate water heats and thus available through the vents.

On the topic of Eco versus D with heater use on the S model or 2011/2012 LEAFs, be aware that using the defroster setting overrides the Eco limitation on power. If defrosting is needed, it isn't necessary to switch to D to get the fastest heating.

One strategy that I would guess many here use is to get the heater warmed up in D and then switch back to Eco to maintain the temperature at a lower power setting. If preheating, the heater bottle will stay warm for awhile and using the heater in Eco might be plenty to maintain cabin temperature. Depends on OAT and one's comfort zone.

I have a 2012 SL which I bought used early in the summer. Two months ago I realized my heater was dead. It took just two days for my local dealer to fix it. They replaced the heater box and the interface thingy. One of the parts has a new number, so we assume that has been upgraded. Here in cold weather Tennessee, it takes about 2 minutes for the warm air to start flowing.

I just drove 60 miles each way in the rain with an oat of about 48 degrees. I put it on the mode with defrost and floor, heat off and fan max. No fogging whatsoever. 65 mph with an economy of 4.0 miles per kwh. Who needs the heater? Now if it was 10 degrees colder and the low outside air temp warning comes on, what it means to me is "you'd better go home and get your ice vehicle"

I have a 2013 SL and when I left for work this morning it was -5 degrees OAT. The heater only blows cold air and I have to turn on the defroster intermittently to clear the windshield. Otherwise it's just too cold to run the heat constantly. I obviously have a heater issue. At those temps ice forms on the inside of the windshield.

Got my Leaf S w/QC in Oct. Heater worked fine for 2mos. It is now Dec and the heater just went out.
It's cold outside in Southern California (40 degrees F), but I really feel bad for those that live in really cold climates, pretty much everywhere else.

Took it to the dealer yesterday, they confirmed that heater was blowing cold air.
Strange that the GOM still goes down 5-8 miles when when blowing cold air.
Said part was backordered.

At least there's seat and steering wheel heaters!

Waiting patiently for now.

jay
--

Took it into the dealer. Took 3 days to get the part. And another 2 days to make the repairs.

In the meantime, we got a Corolla as a loaner car. Man that car feel sucked compared to the Leaf.

So happy the heater is back in action. Thanks Nissan!

I just received a Leaf S QC yesterday (12/27), we went today to buy some groceries and the temperature outside was around 39 degrees. We tried for the first time the heater on this car and no luck.

Dealership is closed now, but I'm planning on calling them tomorrow.

cr136124 said:
I just received a Leaf S QC yesterday (12/27), we went today to buy some groceries and the temperature outside was around 39 degrees. We tried for the first time the heater on this car and no luck.

Dealership is closed now, but I'm planning on calling them tomorrow.
Just to rule out user error, you've turned on heat via the heater button, right? What did you turn the temp up to? How long are you waiting for heat?

How high does the climate control power consumption go up to in the energy usage screen?

cwerdna said:
cr136124 said:
How high does the climate control power consumption go up to in the energy usage screen?
Unfortunately the S model has no energy usage screen. It does take a while, perhaps several minutes, for the heat to start coming out.

Here's something to try, at least if you have a 240v EVSE at home. If you are charging from 120v using the trickle charging cord it might not work very well:
  • With the car powered up, go into the "Trip computer" menu using the top two buttons in the group of four to the left of the steering wheel. Find the Settings menu, and under that Climate Ctrl. Timer.
  • Press the left (Enter) button to see the timer display, and then the right (Change) button. Set it to be On, with a "To" time half an hour in the future.
  • Power the car down and plug it in.
  • Check in 20 minutes to see if hot air is blowing.

Ray

planet4ever said:
cwerdna said:
cr136124 said:
Unfortunately the S model has no energy usage screen. It does take a while, perhaps several minutes, for the heat to start coming out.
Whoops! :oops: Forgot about that.

My car did something really weird last night. Just entered a cold car with an extremely fogged up windshield. Turned on the defrost, 69 degrees , waited 2 minutes. Normally after 30 seconds the fan goes on full blast and nice dry heat comes out , and I can drive off. This time the fan just stayed on one bar, no heat no defrost action. So I started troubleshooting. I tried it in auto heat mode. As soon as I entered the mode the fan went to 3 bars. Then I cycled back to defrost and it immediately went to full fan and started working normally. For some reason my
car got locked up in some kind of temporal causality loop, but fortunately for me it snapped out of it.

I have a 2013 S, took delivery on 10/18/2013. The heat worked fine until 12/15. That day I got into a warm car (climate timer) but then when I went to turn on the heat during the drive as the car cooled down - there was nothing. That was the end of the heat. After a kind of scary drive (no defrost) in to the dealership, I left it there. Its been there for two weeks, I am currently waiting on an ETA for parts to repair it.

--------------
2013 Leaf S

Another Leaf with a dead heater. I have a S with QC that we bought at the end of September. I'm in Chicago so no heat isn't doable in this cold. They gave me a huge pick-up truck as a loaner but I was able to switch it to a Jetta. I was told that the part is on back order with no eta. How do I go about getting gas reimbursement?

I've got to say... if I were in the market for an EV today I would not buy a Leaf. Quality appears to be way below the Japanese made Leafs, significant problems with heaters and no parts to be had in a timely fashion. Then for the earlier Leafs, stonewalling experienced early adopters who are having malfunctions with the OBC. Techs not trained to properly diagnose a problem (or instructed by Nissan corporate to deny there is a problem). Nissan is fumbling badly here, don't know what has gotten into them. Is the advisory board bringing up these issues to Nissan?

Add another one - my 2013 (S with QC) heater quit working Dec. 27. The car was leased Oct. 1st and the heater worked fine up until a few days ago. It is at the dealership now and I am hoping I don't have to wait a month like the other posters on this thread.

Back