How To: Backup camera for S model with OE parts

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weisea said:
jelloslug said:
DanCar said:
Wow, thanks for those detailed instructions! Wondering what it would take to install that on an SL model.

BlackLeaf13 said:
Or SV model.
The SL and SV have different harnesses leading up to the body to hatch harness so I don't think it would be plug and play like it is in the S (at least in the 2013 models). The '11 and '12 models may be different.

I have a 2013 SV without Bose audio or around view package. I have removed the drivers side "C" pillar trim but found no additional wires in the B18 connector for the Backup camera. Will I have to run video wires to the Nav display or does anyone have information about the location of video cables in the back of the Leaf?
Can you take a picture of the connectors under the "C" pillar trim?

Jelloslug
I took this picture of the large connector in the "C" pillar on the drivers side. I see 7 wires in and out of the connection. This is my first attempt at posting a photo hopefully this works.

posts]

I'm really tempted to do this. I am leasing a Leaf S but they were all out of the Charging Package. For $200 why not. They won't notice or mind when I turn the lease in anyway. How hard are the panels to remove?

I know I can do the wiring and all no problem. My biggest fear is taking off the panels. Could you maybe add a little more detail on how to do that or is it pretty straight forward?

One last question, does anything have to be done to the radio? Or is it simply just adding the wires and camera and the radio auto picks it up?

jkendt1989 said:
I know I can do the wiring and all no problem. My biggest fear is taking off the panels. Could you maybe add a little more detail on how to do that or is it pretty straight forward?
They mostly just pop off. There are a few clips that have to be removed before hand but they are noted (and obvious).

jkendt1989 said:
One last question, does anything have to be done to the radio? Or is it simply just adding the wires and camera and the radio auto picks it up?
Nothing has to be done to the radio. The extra ground ring terminal that is on the new harness is the trigger for the radio to go into backup camera mode.

jkendt1989 said:
Parts have been ordered! Hope this turns out good!!!! :D
I think you will succeed since you have the S model it should be plug and play!

I just completed my camera installation following jelloslug's detailed instructions and parts list. The only problem was that with the SV I have no camera wires at the B18 connector.

It was necessary for me to run wires to the front of the car but I resisted going directly to the NAV unit (I hate opening dashboards). The junction of B3/M21 is behind the drivers side kickplate trim. M21 had camera wires but B3 did not. Now I knew why I found no camera wires at B18 in the back of the car.

I grounded the camera sense wire (pin 7 on M21) and the NAV display switched to the rearview display when shifting to reverse. I could not find these wires on the service manual drawings for the Navigation without Bose.

I'm delighted with the results in spite of needing to run wires to the front of the car but not to the NAV display! Note: the kickplate trim was very easy to remove!

Thanks to all the posts guiding me in this project!!! :)

Got it all installed and it works great!!!

It all went a lot easier then I was expecting! Honestly, the hardest part was getting the wires out of the plastic casing to fish them through the rubber gasket.

Love the back-up cam! Thanks go out to the OP for being the 1st one to test it out and put up a tutorial! Awesome job!!!

:D

Meynardo said:
Go there and choose what you need:

http://www.nissanpartsdiscounts.com/parts-catalog/nissan/leaf/2013/sl/electric/body-hardware/gate-and-hardware" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cannot find door handle for "pearl white"
anybody know part #?
TIA

jjj240 said:
Meynardo said:
Go there and choose what you need:

http://www.nissanpartsdiscounts.com/parts-catalog/nissan/leaf/2013/sl/electric/body-hardware/gate-and-hardware" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cannot find door handle for "pearl white"
anybody know part #?
TIA
It should be 90606-3NF5B. Verify it with your dealer as the part numbers for "Pearl White" and "Ocean Blue" don't say what color they are like all the others do.

Yes, several owners have installed the backup camera after delivery. I installed mine on a '13 SL using the details found in this thread and a few others.

What are your questions?

@RePo Did you use the parts listed in the first post of this thread? If not can you please list the part numbers you used?

I want to make sure I purchase the correct parts for the set up.

How long did the install take? And did you connect the camera into the drivers side rear harness in the trunk?

Thanks!!!

RePo said:
Yes, several owners have installed the backup camera after delivery. I installed mine on a '13 SL using the details found in this thread and a few others.

What are your questions?
jelloslug said:
As many of you might know the backup camera for the S trim level is only avalible with the high speed charger option. Since the entire radio is completely different in the S trim than in the SV and SL I decided to see how to install it in my S model. It turns out that not only is it almost completely plug and play that parts are significantly less than they used to be. Here are the parts that are needed to upgrade you S trim level leaf:

Body to hatch harness: 24051-3NF0B

body%20harness.JPG

Hatch harness: 24052-3NF0C

hatch%20harness.JPG

Camera: 28442-3NH0A

camera.JPG

Camera housing (Cayenne Red): 90606-3NF3B (change the last number to change the color, see below)

Camera%20housing.JPG

Camera mounting screws (2x): 01454-N5021

I purchased the parts from Parts.com for a total of about $210

Edit:

Camera housing color part numbers (verify with your dealer before ordering):

90606-3NF1B.....Blue Ocean
90606-3NF2B.....Super Black
90606-3NF3B.....Cayenne Red
90606-3NF4B.....Brilliant Silver
90606-3NF5B.....Pearl White
90606-3NF6B.....Glacier While
90606-3NF7B.....Metallic Slate

I'll try to piece this together for you..
I didn't order any of the OEM harness, camera, or parts.

I ordered this camera. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=15151
I installed it in the back window.

The factory wiring harness in the rear pillar contains all 5 wires necessary. It's well documented here.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=12617

The only detail that is missing is what colors those 5 wires are. So I contributed here.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=10107&start=130

The only unusual thing that I found is that the OEM camera reverses the image (not the head unit). So, my DVR camera turned backup cam doesn't give me the mirror image one would expect as a backup camera. I've just learned to interpret the picture as a regular look out the back window, instead of looking in the mirror.

RePo said:
I'll try to piece this together for you..
I didn't order any of the OEM harness, camera, or parts.

I ordered this camera. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=15151
I installed it in the back window.

The factory wiring harness in the rear pillar contains all 5 wires necessary. It's well documented here.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=12617

The only detail that is missing is what colors those 5 wires are. So I contributed here.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=10107&start=130

The only unusual thing that I found is that the OEM camera reverses the image (not the head unit). So, my DVR camera turned backup cam doesn't give me the mirror image one would expect as a backup camera. I've just learned to interpret the picture as a regular look out the back window, instead of looking in the mirror.

Thank you, and you have an SV or an SL, I am wondering if the instructions are exactly the same for both models.

Does anyone have experience doing this mod in a 2013 SV around the Los Angeles area? I am willing to pay for some help with the install, I already purchased all of the hardware. Please email me anthonynava (at) csu.fullerton.edu or you can reply here. Thanks!

So I finally got my backup cam installed :) :) :)

I am a very happy man. I was rear ended the other day so I had the body shop order the rear hatch for the camera and they installed everything for free since I had the harnesses and the camera

Back