Southwest PA & Eastern OH

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jms

Since we finally started getting deliveries I figure now would be a good time to talk about how things are going here.
I've been on the hunt for public charging stations in and around Pittsburgh.
So far I know about the 3 giant eagle stores. Any more out there that you've seen?

I'm up in Cranberry Township PA. Kenny Ross Nissan has a charger. And *someobody* is installing a whole bunch of chargers on 19 up closer to Zelionople, but so far I have no idea who is doing it, or why in the world they think that is a good location for them. The dealer also told me that the local Walgreens locations should be getting chargers soon.

The Giant Eagle in Pine township is supposed to have 2 of them. I haven't pulled into a dealership to charge yet but I know it's always an option.

Any updates on Pittsburgh charging locations? I'm seriously considering picking up a Leaf but I'm still not 100% sold on it for a Pittsburgh car, mainly due to what seems like a lack of charging locations.

For those of you who have been driving a Leaf in Pittsburgh - thoughts?

Thanks!

A bunch of charging stations are listed at the bottom of this article:
Pennsylvanians push for more electric vehicle charging stations
Here's the list:
  • the Pittsburgh Zoo
  • two in the David L. Lawrence Convention Center parking garage
  • Bayer Building 1
  • four at West Hills Nissan in Moon
  • the Carnegie Museum in Oakland (charging is free, but parking is not)
  • two at Phipps Conservatory in Oakland
  • Magee-Womens Hospital of UPMC
  • two additional chargers at UPMC Presbyterian
  • three at UPMC Shadyside
  • two at UPMC East in Monroeville
  • two at FedEx Ground in Moon
  • Consol Energy in Southpointe
  • one at Bieber garage in Oakdale
  • one at Adam Solar Resources offices in Bridgeville
  • Baum Boulevard Automotive
  • There is a DC Quick Charger at Eaton's Warrendale facility.
To this list I will add:
  • Chargecar in Oakland (close to the art museum) has eight(!) L2 chargers!
  • Most Nissan dealers have L2 chargers.
  • Eaton's in Warrendale has several L2 chargers in addition to the DC Quick Charger.
  • Bakery Square has four stations, but they're always taken by employees.

I'm seriously considering picking up a Leaf but I'm still not 100% sold on it for a Pittsburgh car, mainly due to what seems like a lack of charging locations.

I have had a leaf South of Philadelphia for about 18 months.
Except for "novelty" charging, 99% of my charging is done at home.
Don't get hung up on lack of public L2 chargers (and they are not L2 chargers, they are EVSE)
Sticking an L2 in some random place that you wouldn't want to spend a couple hours anyway is not actually helpful.

I applaud Walgreens for their effort, and I go out of my way to patronize them, I plug in when I am there, but the reality is I'm not going to even get back the charge I burnt through getting there during the time (10 Mins?) I'm in there.

It's nice to look at Plugshare and see 100 L2 Charging stations scattered around.
I keep a book in the back, and I know I'm not going to get stranded, but unless that L2 is at work, at the mall, dinner out or something, it's not really helpful.

Don't let public L2's affect your decisions. (Unless you stuff 3 Brusa liquid cooled Chargers into your car, and you can plug in multiple J1772's and seriously pack in some juice)

We have one "Vegas" Blink L3 CHARGER around here, with the promise of 2 in each PennDot rest area coming soon.
Now, a bunch of L3 chargers are game changers for the Leaf.
Ours is near a Denny's by the Delaware Memorial Bridge (actually on the Jersey Side.)

If it's working, I can swing by it, grab a soda, and be fully charged up (90%) in 15 minutes or so, and head into Delaware for shopping, etc.
Catch it on the way back, and I can pull off a 170 Mile trip without wasted time spent with L2.

thedak said:
love the Eaton Facility in Warrendale.
Yes indeed, I've even used their rapid charger (L3) a couple times. Love that place!

As far as driving in Pittsburgh, L2's are popping up everywhere. UPMC has been putting L2's in their garages. The convention center has one. Station square (they charge per kw) There is a push to electrify I-376 so it's getting way better.

Back