BMW i3 vs Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, at the price it still hasn't won me over... There are also a number of omissions and silly mistakes in its execution, IMHO... Interestingly - and admittedly I was driving aggressively - I managed to use up slightly more than half the battery in 25 miles...

Boomer23 said:
So do you want one now, Tom?

I certainly consider the lack of a SOC meter a silly omission. But they listen to their early adopter base and that could be fixed in software.

What other mistakes irked you?

I was at CES and test drove the i3 2x (I lined up to go again). Shoot, I missed meeting TomT and others there. :/
EVDRIVER said:
Boomer23 said:
The BMW is MUCH quicker off the line than the LEAF. The comparison in 0-60 mph times is BMW: 7 seconds, LEAF: about 10 seconds. The BMW is the quickest widely available production EV short of anything Tesla makes (excludes rare exotic EVs such as Mercedes or some highly exotic European supercars).
As for price comparisons, the base LEAF is around $28k while the base i3 is around $42k, though better equipped. The top of the line LEAF SL is about $36k and the top optioned i3 BEV (without the range extending gas engine) is about $52k, again better equipped than the LEAF SL.

To clarify, the strong regen is a result of innovation and application by AC propulsion that made the drive for the MINI E and that the Telsa emerged from. BMW really does not deserve a pat on the back for EV promotion, NIssan and Tesla do. My guess is they will get attention on this car and act as though they were EV pioneers when they fought it like the worst of them. Of course all the BMW people will soon believe BMW was and is the tech leader. Of course you get to add the $10K of basic options which they are known for. BMW years ago found their cars sold better in the US when they boosted prices to make the car a status symbol. Other than the amazing boxer motors on the motorcycles I can't think of any significant BMW auto tech innovation that stands out. At the high price point this will be another EV not for the masses because of pricing.
I can safely say that the i3 is much faster than the Leaf at the speeds I got it up to. I was expecting that given the acceleration times I'd been seeing (vs. that of the Leaf).

But yeah, the price of the i3 is high.

As for strong regen, yeah, it was weird having no creep and very strong regen (much stronger regen than B mode on the '13 Leaf SV). I didn't know about it going in but they did ask me about 1-pedal driving in a survey (conducted by a person w/an iPad) afterward.

I overheard a woman talking (who likely didn't follow EVs) who basically said they were confused by the lack of creep (they didn't use the word and very likely weren't car enthusiasts judging by the way they talked about it) and said they were surprised by the very sudden leap forward when they used the accelerator. From what I overheard, it seems they were thrown off by putting it into D, via the very unconventional shift lever and motion and having the car do nothing, due to lack of creep.

I sure hope that dealers give a good overview before test drives and delivery about this. I actually never had a chance to put it in reverse to confirm the lack of reverse creep (whoops). But, I wouldn't be surprised if we hear complaints or even accidents due to the lack of creep, since automatics and even hybrids provide directional cueing via creep.

I didn't have a very good chance to test out its handling, but I did try taking some of the turns fast and was pleasantly surprised by its handling, despite its skinny tires.

And, I'd seen comments before (on some Facebook EV groups) about some of the test drive i3s at the LA Auto Show having rattles. Our vehicles were the same set that were at the LA Auto Show. I heard there were 45 vehicles available. Anyhow, both cars I drove (were equipped differently) had no rattles.

Yeah, what you saw by "all"...err many... most (?) BMW people will likely be true :roll:, esp. from their fanboys. I agree about your comment "I can't think of any significant BMW auto tech innovation that stands out". As much as I'm not a fan of GM, GM seems to be more responsible for a lot of auto tech innovation, but much of it from awhile ago (e.g. automatic transmission, their crash test dummies becoming the standard, etc.)
evnow said:
Not sure about build quality - but ActiveEs have had a long history of troubled drivetrains. No idea how well the i3 drive train holds up.
Yep. The ActiveE's drivetrain and some EV specific systems of that car are known to be extremely unreliable.

Another quirk I noticed... one of my test cars had a triangle ! i in the dash. I went thru the menus to see what it was complaining about. One of them was to set the clock. The clock was MANY hours off. I find it a bit comical since that car had GPS. It hearkens back to the design flaw on the '11 and '12 Leafs where there are 2 non-synchronized clocks (eyebrow clock set manually and the other coming presumably from GPS). At least on the '13, the nav clock likely comes from GPS and the eyebrow clock is synced to it.

And yeah, lack of % SoC display is silly. Many Electronauts, including a former Leafer have made it well known they're not happy about this and have lobbied BMW to change their mind, otherwise it'd be not learning from Nissan's mistake.

If there is only one driving mode, with maximum regen, this car isn't going to sell well in the US. Driving in what feels like a tall first gear all the time gets old fast - usually before the end of a test drive.

LeftieBiker said:
If there is only one driving mode, with maximum regen, this car isn't going to sell well in the US. Driving in what feels like a tall first gear all the time gets old fast - usually before the end of a test drive.
There were 3 driving modes (IIRC): comfort, eco pro, eco pro+. Comfort was apparently "normal" and thus the default. At least, that's what they told me when I asked them.

I drove in comfort the whole time and there was no creep and there was very strong regen. I was also driving in D (drive). I don't recall there being another other forward driving "gear"/position.

It'll be interesting to see if what you say is right. But, it might be hard to separate out poor sales/sales failure from all the other negatives: questionable reliability (many may not know about this), styling (ugly to me), Frankenplug for DC FC (some may not understand or know about CHAdeMO and the EXTREMELY limited Frankenplug infrastructure in the US), strong regen by default, suicide doors, limited seating capacity, high price, just small numbers in general since BMW doesn't sell many vehicles in the US anyway (http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/06/2013-yearly-auto-sales-by-the-numbers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), etc.

From http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nissan-group-reports-december-and-2013-year-end-us-sales-238610731.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, about 2% of Nissan-division sales were Leaf. 22,610 Leafs were sold in the US in 2013. If that same % were applied to BMW-brand sales, that'd mean they'd sell ~6185 i3s in the US in a year, or only move ~515/month vs. the average of ~1884/month for Leaf. So, if the i3 can't move 6185 units/year in the US, is that not-so-good? Or, another way to look at it is if i3 sales are below 27.3% of Leaf sales in the US, in a year, maybe that's not-so-good?

Cwerdna covered it nicely before I could get back to this thread so I'll let his comments stand...

On the one I drove for a day, there was no creep in reverse but I was told that BMW is seriously considering adding it due to safety and liability concerns... I hope they resist the urge.

I guess one of the things that I can't yet get past with the i3 is that it feels and looks gimmicky... Like the kind of thing that will not age gracefully...

Boomer23 said:
What other mistakes irked you?

TomT said:
Cwerdna covered it nicely before I could get back to this thread so I'll let his comments stand...

On the one I drove for a day, there was no creep in reverse but I was told that BMW is seriously considering adding it due to safety and liability concerns... I hope they resist the urge.
Coming into this late, but wanted to jump in re creep, although I've mentioned this before. My sole 'long-term' (1 week) experience driving a BEV was in a Think City, and it lacked creep. Owing to the coarse low-power control of the pedal*, it was almost impossible to parallel park it safely on flat ground (i.e. without worrying that you were going to hit the car ahead or behind) in any parking space smaller than one suitable for a '70s era Caddy. You started off with not enough power to get the car moving, followed by the sudden onset of too much power, when the car suddenly surged forward or backward much too fast.

I have no idea if the current BEVs low-power control has been improved or how much; the Think was a very crude BEV, which felt and sounded EXACTLY like an electric golf cart, so would like to know if any of you who have a current BEV that lacks creep (and you frequently parallel park) have noticed this as an issue. Parallel parking on a slope didn't seem to be a problem, as you could let gravity move it downhill while controlling speed with the brakes; going uphill, you'd get past the point where the power came on all of a sudden just by holding the car against the slope. Past that point you could modulate the pedal accurately.

*additional issues making parallel parking difficult were the very heavy non-power steering, and the limited wheel angle owing (I think) to the narrow track and consequent small wheel wells.

cwerdna said:
I drove in comfort the whole time and there was no creep and there was very strong regen. I was also driving in D (drive). I don't recall there being another other forward driving "gear"/position.
Now the US i3's have begun shipping, does anyone know if they still have no creep in forward and reverse?

Is the regen just as strong as on the test drive vehicles used at CES in January 2014 and at the LA Auto Show a bit earlier? If so, is the (no pedals pressed) regen adjustable?

It was a mistake for Nissan to advertize a 100-mile range for the LEAF.

Is BMW going down the same path with the i3?

In Canada, I see 160 km of range in BMW documents. No mention, other than the required minimum, that the EPA range is more like 130 km.

Berlino said:
... No mention, other than the required minimum, that the EPA range is more like 130 km.
Pardon my ignorance, but is that the USA EPA range you are referring to? Does Canada have an equivalent gas mileage or EV range number for cars that is required for display? Just curious.

Thanks to the insideevs article, i3's are leasing at the following rates:

$499 month (w/$2,950 down) 36 month lease on base BMW i3 ($41,350)
$549 month (w/$3,460 down) 36 month lease on base BMW i3 REx ($45,200)
2.99% financing (3 years), 3.49% (up to 5 years)

Those prices are easily twice the lease on my 2013 Leaf SV.

^^^
Article at http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-lease-deal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. And, the leases appear to be only 10K miles/year.

asimba2 said:

You can get a better deal with the OwnersChoice with Flex financing. You can take the entire $7500 credit with that.

dgpcolorado said:
Pardon my ignorance, but is that the USA EPA range you are referring to? Does Canada have an equivalent gas mileage or EV range number for cars that is required for display? Just curious.

Good question. I had to do some research and was a bit surprised by what I found. I'll get back to it later. In the mean-time, I just find "up to 200 km range" on BMW Canada with no lower-bound mentioned.

BMW loves to do this with their leases. It makes them seem cheaper but are of little value to most people unless they are an usually low mileage driver.

cwerdna said:
Article at http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-lease-deal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. And, the leases appear to be only 10K miles/year.

asimba2 said:

This must be a joke, right? Is BMW insulting our intelligence? :roll:

derkraut said:
asimba2 said:

This must be a joke, right? Is BMW insulting our intelligence? :roll:

And then some pay $125K for a Tesla. Right, it has a range of 250+ miles, but who wants to do
distance driving and wait in line at a SC and then wait another 45+ minutes to charge. It does have
a 17" laptop display or MS Surface (turned 90 degrees) in the dash, though. And by the way, many
complain about the Leaf appearance, well the Tesla is rather ugly too once you look closely.

But, everyone sees different values in products!

lorenfb said:
Tesla... it has a range of 250+ miles, but who wants to do
distance driving and wait in line at a SC and then wait another 45+ minutes to charge. It does have
a 17" laptop display or MS Surface (turned 90 degrees) in the dash, though. And by the way, many
complain about the Leaf appearance, well the Tesla is rather ugly too once you look closely.

But, everyone sees different values in products!

Is this a joke? Who wants to spend 45 minutes to get another 250 miles, or spend 45 minutes to get 60-80 more miles on a LEAF ? Or the same with a BMW i3 if you can find a Frankenplug station?

No, Tesla does not use Microsoft.

You are the first person that I have every seen to proclaim Tesla "ugly". Did you ever own a Pontiac Aztec?

Back