Discuss Tire Registration function of Battery App

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Version 0.29.15 will have better status messages for tire registration.

The raw status numbers are replaced with Status of "Idle", "Busy", "Done", "Fail".
vjuz.png

If status is "Fail" you will get the following instruction box.
qsya.png

I was able to re-register the 4 tires, my local gas station's air pump was not accurate enough filling the tires to the 35,32 etc exact air pressures and the registration kept failing, I then tried the 12v air pump that came with the Leaf and half a mile later drive it registered.

elmobob said:
I was able to re-register the 4 tires, my local gas station's air pump was not accurate enough filling the tires to the 35,32 etc exact air pressures and the registration kept failing, I then tried the 12v air pump that came with the Leaf and half a mile later drive it registered.
Thanks for reporting your success and how you did it.

First, as a new user of Leaf Spy Pro I'd like to sincerely thank Jim Pollock (Turbo3) for this wonderful product that he has developed for the LEAF community.
A truly great piece of software that every LEAF driver should have :!: :!: :!: :D :D :D .

But I would like to offer some constructive suggestions for improvement of the Tire Registration process. Yes, it does work as currently designed. But it is tediously unnecessarily time consuming, and with the OEM tires I don't like driving around with any of them inflated to less than 34 psig. For the short distances probably not a big harm. But surely there has to be a better approach.

Why can't the software be revised to give the user their own selection of pressures and locations on the vehicle? User enters four pressures and their location on the vehicle, e.g.
33 FR
36 RL
39 FL
42 RR
The locations could be simply entered by checking one of four locations besides the pressure entry. The app would validate that all four locations were selected and that the pressures were separated by at least 3 psi.

But it would be much better if the tire registration was done using a magnet and a tire registration screen in the app that didn't require changing tire pressures at all and didn't require driving the vehicle. A retrofit tire pressure monitoring system that I bought for an old vehicle without TPMS at Goodyear and that was manufactured by Johnson Controls included the magnet for doing the tire pressure registration. Apparently a lot of the TPMS systems support such an approach, as Tire Rack currently sells a tire pressure registration magnet for $14.99. Does the TPMS used by Nissan not support tire registration using a magnet?

TimLee said:
First, as a new user of Leaf Spy Pro I'd like to sincerely thank Jim Pollock (Turbo3) for this wonderful product that he has developed for the LEAF community.
A truly great piece of software that every LEAF driver should have :!: :!: :!: :D :D :D .

But I would like to offer some constructive suggestions for improvement of the Tire Registration process. Yes, it does work as currently designed. But it is tediously unnecessarily time consuming, and with the OEM tires I don't like driving around with any of them inflated to less than 34 psig. For the short distances probably not a big harm. But surely there has to be a better approach.

Why can't the software be revised to give the user their own selection of pressures and locations on the vehicle? User enters four pressures and their location on the vehicle, e.g.
33 FR
36 RL
39 FL
42 RR
The locations could be simply entered by checking one of four locations besides the pressure entry. The app would validate that all four locations were selected and that the pressures were separated by at least 3 psi.

But it would be much better if the tire registration was done using a magnet and a tire registration screen in the app that didn't require changing tire pressures at all and didn't require driving the vehicle. A retrofit tire pressure monitoring system that I bought for an old vehicle without TPMS at Goodyear and that was manufactured by Johnson Controls included the magnet for doing the tire pressure registration. Apparently a lot of the TPMS systems support such an approach, as Tire Rack currently sells a tire pressure registration magnet for $14.99. Does the TPMS used by Nissan not support tire registration using a magnet?
The problem is none of this is under the control of the app.

The app issues a single command to the Leaf to perform the Nissan programmed tire registration sequence.

The sequence is totally within the Leaf. When the Leaf has completed the operation (or failed) it sets a status byte that the app reads.

There is absolutely nothing the app can do to changed the Nissan pre-programmed sequence. It is described in the Leaf Service manual.

--------------------------------
Update
The service manual talks about using an external tool (J-45295) to activate each wheel's TPMS in sequence. But it seems the tool is sending an RF signal to wake up each TPMS and not a magnet.

If someone has access to a J-45295 I would be interested in knowing if it works with the app. Procedure would be start registration procedure from the app then go to each tire in sequence FL, FR, RR, RL and see if registration completes successfully. No need to adjust tire pressures.

Turbo3 said:
The problem is none of this is under the control of the app.

The app issues a single command to the Leaf to perform the Nissan programmed tire registration sequence.

The sequence is totally within the Leaf. When the Leaf has completed the operation (or failed) it sets a status byte that the app reads.

There is absolutely nothing the app can do to changed the Nissan pre-programmed sequence. It is described in the Leaf Service manual.
Basically Nissan has a badly designed TPMS :shock: :shock:
Not even close to as good as many after market add on TPMS systems where tire registration can be done in under two minutes with a magnet.
Kind of analogous to the huge shortcomings in their Clarion supplied navigation units.
For a company that overall is building amazing vehicles, its incomprehensible that they can't get something like TPMS and navigation at least close to right :cry: :cry:
My two vehicles are a 2011 LEAF and a 2009 Altima SL.
And overall they are both very good vehicles.
But having such stupid unnecessary shortcomings insures that when I replace them, I will take a very careful look at everything else available.

garsh said:
There are other ways to register the TPMS sensors. This is just the one way that it can be done without using any external tools.
Details :?:
If it can be done with an inexpensive $5 to $15 magnet most people would buy the tool. If the only tool is a $500 to $2000 or more Nissan configuration tool, then most will not.

Will this work to register new TPMS sensor?
I'm might order this set: http://www.oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sensors_5/TPMS-Sensors-sets-for-Nissan/TPMS-fits-Nissan-Leaf-2012-Tire-Pressure-Sensors-SET" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if I can register them with the Leaf Pro app

actibus said:
I'm might order this set: http://www.oewheelsllc.com/TPMS-Sensors_5/TPMS-Sensors-sets-for-Nissan/TPMS-fits-Nissan-Leaf-2012-Tire-Pressure-Sensors-SET" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; if I can register them with the Leaf Pro app
As long as they are compatible with the Leaf then they can be registered. It is the Leaf that does the registration. Leaf Spy Pro only tells the Leaf to start a registration process.

actibus said:
FWIW, I had good luck ordering Titan sensors from oewheels for my Porsche. They worked fine and were a fraction of the cost of OEM sensors from the dealer.
YMMV,
TT

I'm using LeafSpy Pro v0.35.39 with a Nexus 7 tablet on my 2014 UK-built Leaf.
Most of LeafSpy works fine, but the tyre registration is completely dead - the setup page just shows a string of zeros for every wheel and the calibration is never flagged as complete. This suggests that the tablet isn't receiving anything from the sensors.
However, when I adjust the tyre pressures for LeafSpy's calibration procedure, the Leaf picks up the low pressures on the rear wheels and flags a problem, so the wheels seem to be doing their thing OK.
Also, when I use Leaf Stat on an iPad Air using a WiFi dongle, I get a numeric value for each tyre pressure. So it seems the iPad can receive the wheel's transmissions, but the Android devices can't, whether using a Bluetooth or a WiFi dongle (I have tried 2 other Android devices - same result).
I think European TPMS sensors work on a different frequency to US ones - is that the problem?.
Is there a workround for the problem?

bryand said:
I'm using LeafSpy Pro v0.35.39 with a Nexus 7 tablet on my 2014 UK-built Leaf.
Most of LeafSpy works fine, but the tyre registration is completely dead - the setup page just shows a string of zeros for every wheel and the calibration is never flagged as complete. This suggests that the tablet isn't receiving anything from the sensors.
However, when I adjust the tyre pressures for LeafSpy's calibration procedure, the Leaf picks up the low pressures on the rear wheels and flags a problem, so the wheels seem to be doing their thing OK.
Also, when I use Leaf Stat on an iPad Air using a WiFi dongle, I get a numeric value for each tyre pressure. So it seems the iPad can receive the wheel's transmissions, but the Android devices can't, whether using a Bluetooth or a WiFi dongle (I have tried 2 other Android devices - same result).
I think European TPMS sensors work on a different frequency to US ones - is that the problem?.
Is there a workround for the problem?
The TPMS in each wheel talk to the Leaf not the Android or iOS device. The wheels talk to the Leaf and Leaf Spy and Leaf Stat read the data from the Leaf.

You stated that Leaf Spy can pick up the low pressure on the rear wheels and flags a problem which to me means Leaf Spy is displaying each wheel's PSI value. Then you state that Leaf Stat also displays each wheel's PSI value. From this you then draw the conclusion that iPad can receive wheel transmissions and android devices can not. That does not make any sense. You just said that both Leaf Spy and Leaf Stat displayed PSI values so they both are capable of displaying data from the wheels. What am I miss here?

When you do the tire registration you need to drive the Leaf for 5 to 10 minutes with the correct tire pressures for it to work. If it failed you should get a dash error light and neither Leaf Spy nor Leaf Stat will be able to read the wheel PSI values. You seem to be saying that you are still able to read the PSI values so either you did not actually run the tire registration or it worked.

Turbo3 said:
You stated that Leaf Spy can pick up the low pressure on the rear wheels and flags a problem
Actually, he said that the *Leaf* picks up the low pressure.

bryand is touching on a bunch of different things, but it's not clear what state he's starting in. If you've started the calibration procedure, and never finished it, then the Leaf will be in a state where it does not recognize any of the TPMS sensors, and it will be displaying a problem the entire time. So let's start here. bryand, did you actually begin the calibration procedure? Did you finish it? Is the car showing any TPMS warning lights? Are your tires now inflated to proper values, or do you still have them at the values required for calibration?

If the car is in a normal, running state with no warning lights, then run Leaf Spy. Don't start the calibration though, just run the program normally. When run this way, does it display tire pressures?

Turbo3 said:
When you do the tire registration you need to drive the Leaf for 5 to 10 minutes with the correct tire pressures for it to work.
Correct pressures is critical point.
I was using very good quality dial gauge for setting dead equal pressures between two tires.
But the precision of the sensors is not all that great and I had to adjust so the sensors were reading the required registration process pressures.
Would not register with short slow speed less than half mile drive in the subdivision.
Required about 2 mile plus drive around the block.

Back