Post pictures of your home charging setup

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bateman said:
I had mine installed just inside the garage. The Leaf is normally parked outside of our one-car garage, but this allows us (or future owners of the house) to charge an EV in the garage or in the driveway. I have two thin pieces of wood I keep under my garage door separated with a one-inch gap for the EVSE cable to pass through when the door is down.

8gMnu3jl.jpg
Hmmmm?? That red car in the garage with the tail fins; is it by chance a Mercury Comet? :?:

My Clipper Creek LCS-25 installed:

4BBB6908-C2BD-4B73-A676-D79A07256457-358-000000E2016B6600_zps6e4261ce.jpg

Although you won't know by the way the pic is cropped, I feel it's too high up and I find the routing of the pigtail to be unsightly. But the location was mandated by my municipality, as was the disconnect switch. One of these days I'm going to remount it in a neater and more convenient spot.

The external dedicated meter was also a requirement by my municipality:

F8E4E070-39F8-4461-8B19-CD1454718667-526-000002A633D08AF9_zps3759e8d8.jpg

derkraut said:
Bateman said:
I had mine installed just inside the garage. The Leaf is normally parked outside of our one-car garage, but this allows us (or future owners of the house) to charge an EV in the garage or in the driveway. I have two thin pieces of wood I keep under my garage door separated with a one-inch gap for the EVSE cable to pass through when the door is down.
Hmmmm?? That red car in the garage with the tail fins; is it by chance a Mercury Comet? :?:

VERY close! It's a '63 Fairlane 500. :)

So does that meter belong to the power company? I wonder why they want that... do they charge you a different rate for charging an EV?

Could you just leave the evse where it is and just mount something lower to coil the cord up on?

RonDawg said:
My Clipper Creek LCS-25 installed:

4BBB6908-C2BD-4B73-A676-D79A07256457-358-000000E2016B6600_zps6e4261ce.jpg

Although you won't know by the way the pic is cropped, I feel it's too high up and I find the routing of the pigtail to be unsightly. But the location was mandated by my municipality, as was the disconnect switch. One of these days I'm going to remount it in a neater and more convenient spot.

The external dedicated meter was also a requirement by my municipality:

F8E4E070-39F8-4461-8B19-CD1454718667-526-000002A633D08AF9_zps3759e8d8.jpg

johnrhansen said:
So does that meter belong to the power company? I wonder why they want that... do they charge you a different rate for charging an EV?

Yes, it belongs to my municipality-owned power utility. It was provided for free though. No I do not get a discount for EV charging...the reason they require the meter is because they need to track how many kWH are being consumed by EVs so they can plan on future infrastructure upgrades.

Could you just leave the evse where it is and just mount something lower to coil the cord up on?

I could, but that still leaves that unsightly routing of the pigtail.

AV_zpsd597b2d7.jpg

I installed it myself in June. I Just finished taking a conduit bending class. It was a good opportunity to practice what I learned. It took about 18 feet of conduit to route it over the door and to the panel. I got that EVSE when it went on sale at Amazon for $800. It has a shorter than average cord.. I pretty much had to install it where I did because of how short the cord was. The light switch is still easily accessible even though it doesn't look like it in the picture because the cord and plug are about a foot away. I back my car in, and I can connect it only unwrapping one coil. I live in a pretty busy area, so I need to back in my driveway anyway to be able to negotiate all the cars parked in the street that are parked near the driveway.

Our setup is in an unfinished driveway, 240 and 120 Lines (30 amp for EVSE, 20 amp for upgraded-portable EVSE, 120v for vacuum cleaner etc) buried in trench. Concrete cover in ground is junction box. All mounted on 4x4" steel post set in concrete. Mostly we use the main unit, but with two Leafs, we occasionally need to charge both at the same time.

View from driveway:
EVSE on top, Box at bottom is junction box
luuxv5K.jpg

View from fence:
EVSE emerg cutoff on top, 240V L6-20 outlet, 120V outlet on bottom
Sdk0OfW.jpg

View from side:
portable upgraded-to-240Volt ESVE hanging from nylon tie
Tt3ecU0.jpg

Easy set up for me. Right next to the junction box in the garage. I bought the Seimens charger from Amazon and installed it myself in about 20 minutes.

EVSC in Shed
I made 4040 extruded Aluminum box at work.
Lights are bright on EVSC WOULD REALLY STAND OUT IN MY SUB.
Works great for me so far.
No need to unlock door get cable out ETC.

2013 Red SV 1778K miles/12 bars/284Gids/67.19AHr/100% SOH/108.8% Hx on 23 Dec13

62Lincoln said:
Thoughts on your experience with the Siemens charger?
So far I haven't had any problems with the Siemens. We don't really do anything fancy with it, though. Just plug it in when we park the car and unplug it when we leave. It just works.

You can't have a 25A load on a 30A circuit, that would be overloading the breaker by code. My guess is the wiring on the sill plate of the foundation with the Romex staples also may not be very code compliant if that is a consideration.

EVDRIVER said:
You can't have a 25A load on a 30A circuit, that would be overloading the breaker by code. My guess is the wiring on the sill plate of the foundation with the Romex staples also may not be very code compliant if that is a consideration.

The Clipper Creek has a 20 amp draw.

I will dress up the wiring when the weather warms!!

I bought the Clipper Creek because it is designed for 30 amp service, it was/is on sale, made in the USA and it is portable.

Didn't think I would need a level 2, but this winter has really drawn from the battery and I didn't want to come home with a SOC of 20% and have to wait 12+ hours to bring it to 80% in case I wanted to go back out again. I plan to Level 1 charge 99% of the time as I think it is easier on the battery...maybe a toss up question, I know.

I have an ICE that I could use, (VW Passat diesel, ) but I am spoiled with the Leaf. To get the ICE out is like going back in time!! Only for long trips.

Attachments

• IMG_1875.jpg
    IMG_1875.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 165
Open EVSE that I put together. The green "outlet" that is holding the J1772 is a dummy made by my friend's kid on his 3D printer. Works great.

01437e39c2582949dc304b3c2206d02d.jpg

0201b7b3e75079e8d19f7c96625e3073.jpg

One week of driving with the level 1 charger and broke down and bought the Clipper Creek so so much better :)

We drove 600 miles the first week and are on track to do the same again. My wife is a school nurse and runs between 8 schools within about a 12 mile radius. A lot of short trips. Not to mention running the kids places. We have four kids an 11 year old boy, 10 year old girl, 8 year old boy and 7 year old girl, so we run a lot, especially during swim team season. :)

leaf.jpg

Brock - looks like you sometimes charge outside as well. You may want to consider getting a 'dummy inlet' like I did so you can keep your garage door shut but still have access to the 'nozzle'.

OaecwuK.jpg

Back