smkettner
Posts: 7501
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:13 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Feb 2014
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:02 am

dhanson865 wrote:New 4 bar loser on the list, dsh added it to the wiki but didn't post here

February 03, 2014 dsh Phoenix, AZ 28,870 miles 19 months 3/11 01069 4th Capacity Bar Lost. Will wait for 'Hot Battery' availability before replace.

I updated the feb total in the post above.
With 28,870 I would be tempted to get the cold pack now and assume I could make another battery by 60,000. Probably getting a hot battery then.
1 bar lost at 21,451 miles, 16 months.
2 bar lost at 35,339 miles, 25 months.
LEAF traded at 45,400 miles for a RAV4-EV
RAV4 traded in for I-Pace Dec 2018

User avatar
rickbecker
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:58 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Apr 2011
Leaf Number: 0984
Location: East San Diego County

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:12 am

vrwl wrote:Finally lost my first bar today: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 10#p351947" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry Vicki!
2011 Blue Ocean SL-Etec, VIN #984 SOLD 2/1/14
Tesla Model S delivered 12/23/13

User avatar
RegGuheert
Posts: 6419
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 am
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Northern VA

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:36 am

smkettner wrote:With 28,870 I would be tempted to get the cold pack now and assume I could make another battery by 60,000. Probably getting a hot battery then.
That assumes the 2013 chemistry degrades at the same rate as the 2011/2012s. Nissan has assured us that it is better and we do not have enough field data to verify one way or the other.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K mi. on 041413; 20K mi. (55.7Ah) on 080714; 30K mi. (52.0Ah) on 123015; 40K mi. (49.8Ah) on 020817; 50K mi. (47.2Ah) on 120717; 60K mi. (43.66Ah) on 091918.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

DougWantsALeaf
Posts: 2458
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811
Location: Chicago North Side

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:37 pm

Any 2013s with a bar loss yet?
2019 S Plus (98.06% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (94.77% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh

User avatar
vrwl
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 2:16 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2012
Leaf Number: 8597
Location: Northeastern PA/Poconos

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:21 pm

rickbecker wrote:
vrwl wrote:Finally lost my first bar today: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.p ... 10#p351947" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorry Vicki!
Rick, congrats on getting the Tesla! Soooo jealous :)
Vicki
2011 Silver SL-Mfg 8/11-Purch 6/12
34000 miles

neal77
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:16 pm
Delivery Date: 21 Jul 2012
Leaf Number: 021484
Location: Norwalk CA

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:46 pm

Lost my first bar today. Bought the car July 21 2012 I have 8175 miles on it. Charged to 80% most of the time. Ahr 54.89. Anything else I need to add?
2012 Nissan Leaf Blue Ocean
Leased 07/21/2012
100 mile club 09/07/12
11 bars 02/05/14

downeykp
Posts: 740
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:11 am
Delivery Date: 31 May 2011
Leaf Number: 1931
Location: Keaau, HI

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:43 pm

Wow that sucks!! 8179mi.? Is that some kind of record for mileage? It isn't even an Arizona car.
2011 Black Leaf SL+QC Vin. 1931
Res. 6-14-10 Order 1-25-11
EVSE: Mod'd Ver. 2 Nissan L1
Delivered 5-31-11

10 years 38000mi. 5 bars

57 panels with Enphase micro inverters

User avatar
DaveEV
Posts: 6251
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:07 pm

RegGuheert wrote:That assumes the 2013 chemistry degrades at the same rate as the 2011/2012s. Nissan has assured us that it is better and we do not have enough field data to verify one way or the other.
Nissan has not assured us the 2013 chemistry tweaks affected battery durability at all as far as I'm aware. Unless they told you guys on the advisory group something they didn't tell the public. IIRC, they said they were mainly made to help reduce the cost and not to expect any change in performance otherwise.

User avatar
RegGuheert
Posts: 6419
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:12 am
Delivery Date: 16 Mar 2012
Leaf Number: 5926
Location: Northern VA

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:16 am

drees wrote:Nissan has not assured us the 2013 chemistry tweaks affected battery durability at all as far as I'm aware. Unless they told you guys on the advisory group something they didn't tell the public. IIRC, they said they were mainly made to help reduce the cost and not to expect any change in performance otherwise.
You're right, they told us the focus was on cost and weight reductions. Still, the possibility is there that the 2013 batteries are longer-lived than the 2011/2012s.

We should be getting some instrumented readings from 2013 owners by now, particularly in Pheonix. Unfortunately all we have early on from 2011/2012 owners are reports of bar losses, so comparisons are difficult. Still, it will be interesting to see how the 2013s are faring.
RegGuheert
2011 Leaf SL Demo vehicle
10K mi. on 041413; 20K mi. (55.7Ah) on 080714; 30K mi. (52.0Ah) on 123015; 40K mi. (49.8Ah) on 020817; 50K mi. (47.2Ah) on 120717; 60K mi. (43.66Ah) on 091918.
Enphase Inverter Measured MTBF: M190, M215, M250, S280

User avatar
jhm614
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:48 pm
Delivery Date: 30 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000493
Location: Arlington, TX

Re: Early Capacity Losses-Was(Lost a bar...down to 11)

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:02 pm

RegGuheert wrote:We should be getting some instrumented readings from 2013 owners by now, particularly in Pheonix. Unfortunately all we have early on from 2011/2012 owners are reports of bar losses, so comparisons are difficult. Still, it will be interesting to see how the 2013s are faring.
I can't find the post but LeafFan in Phoenix has a 13 and has lost his first bar.
2011 Brilliant Silver SL - 110,000 gasoline free miles so far.
4BL: 06/29/13 @ 27 months, 43,520 miles, 42.56 Ahr. New 12 bar battery: 09/09/13
4BLx2:12/31/16 @ 69 months, 99,475 miles, 42.99 Ahr.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”