Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your GID count was 264 on the replacement pack? that sure does not sound like a new one to me

278 GIDS the other day on a public EVSE, maybe my EVSEupgrade equipment at home is short-changing me. It is a new battery and I've already put over 1,000 miles on it.

Do we know for sure that they swap the entire battery? And not replacing only defective cells? (Firm references please, not deductions/theories/conjectures. [This is not directed at anyone in particular.])
Observation on range of the "new battery" will also be very helpful.

I got 84 miles out of the new pack ( new according to Nissan corporate) this week, no turtle. I haven't done that since 2011. Maybe I'll shoot for the 100 mile club tomorrow.

GotMyleaf said:
your GID count was 264 on the replacement pack? that sure does not sound like a new one to me

278 GIDS the other day on a public EVSE, maybe my EVSEupgrade equipment at home is short-changing me. It is a new battery and I've already put over 1,000 miles on it.

ok 278 is more reasonable. it is normal to see a 10 GID swing from day to day. I had gone 2 months before ever seeing 280 or 281 on my 2011 but this was after a year of ownership and I was seeing more like 273-274 which is what I thought I had after a year of wear and tear right? then one day, boom! 281! then it went back to 275 then a few weeks later, 281 again!

now my 2013 is more consistent but we see how she looks after she starts losing a little capacity

vrwl said:
Finally lost my first bar today: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=974&start=810#p351947" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sorry to say it didn't take past the first day in Feb to finish out the list

taking the counts to something near

March 1
April 6
May 28
June 51*
July 50*
Aug 59*
September 37
October 9
November 2
December 2
Jan 3
Feb 2

* (plus several with no date that are likely in that month based on order of entry, if there was any doubt about the date of loss I didn't count it)

New 4 bar loser on the list, dsh added it to the wiki but didn't post here

February 03, 2014 dsh Phoenix, AZ 28,870 miles 19 months 3/11 01069 4th Capacity Bar Lost. Will wait for 'Hot Battery' availability before replace.

I updated the feb total in the post above.

dhanson865 said:

February 03, 2014 dsh Phoenix, AZ 28,870 miles 19 months 3/11 01069 4th Capacity Bar Lost. Will wait for 'Hot Battery' availability before replace.

Good decision waiting for the "hot battery pack". Will eagerly await your post on same; I think the arrival of the "hot battery pack" will be one of the biggest news items of the year for this board (and Nissan in general).

dhanson865 said:

With 28,870 I would be tempted to get the cold pack now and assume I could make another battery by 60,000. Probably getting a hot battery then.

smkettner said:
With 28,870 I would be tempted to get the cold pack now and assume I could make another battery by 60,000. Probably getting a hot battery then.
That assumes the 2013 chemistry degrades at the same rate as the 2011/2012s. Nissan has assured us that it is better and we do not have enough field data to verify one way or the other.

Lost my first bar today. Bought the car July 21 2012 I have 8175 miles on it. Charged to 80% most of the time. Ahr 54.89. Anything else I need to add?

RegGuheert said:
That assumes the 2013 chemistry degrades at the same rate as the 2011/2012s. Nissan has assured us that it is better and we do not have enough field data to verify one way or the other.
Nissan has not assured us the 2013 chemistry tweaks affected battery durability at all as far as I'm aware. Unless they told you guys on the advisory group something they didn't tell the public. IIRC, they said they were mainly made to help reduce the cost and not to expect any change in performance otherwise.

drees said:
Nissan has not assured us the 2013 chemistry tweaks affected battery durability at all as far as I'm aware. Unless they told you guys on the advisory group something they didn't tell the public. IIRC, they said they were mainly made to help reduce the cost and not to expect any change in performance otherwise.
You're right, they told us the focus was on cost and weight reductions. Still, the possibility is there that the 2013 batteries are longer-lived than the 2011/2012s.

We should be getting some instrumented readings from 2013 owners by now, particularly in Pheonix. Unfortunately all we have early on from 2011/2012 owners are reports of bar losses, so comparisons are difficult. Still, it will be interesting to see how the 2013s are faring.

RegGuheert said:
We should be getting some instrumented readings from 2013 owners by now, particularly in Pheonix. Unfortunately all we have early on from 2011/2012 owners are reports of bar losses, so comparisons are difficult. Still, it will be interesting to see how the 2013s are faring.
I can't find the post but LeafFan in Phoenix has a 13 and has lost his first bar.

Back