jsongster
Delivery Date: 03 Sep 2013

Re: San Francisco Bay Area Quick Chargers Getting them soone

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:57 pm

Used the Emeryville Public Market CHAdeMO Charger the other day after a morning trip to OAK turned into a run around the area and thru Moraga for an Saint Mary's Basketball game where they trounced Loyola Marymount. ( Performing Ensemble my daughter sings with sang the anthem)

DCFC worked fine. Nice place too... you can eat and shop at Public Market.
Wanted an EV forever. Now driving a 2013 LEAF SL. The car keeps living up to the promise, and CHAdeMO chargers keep extending my range!
7.4kW of power from 34 panels. Solar Powered Driving is hot!
Imagine a world w/o gasoline. No blood for oil.

edatoakrun
Delivery Date: 15 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2184

Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:50 am

The CHADdeMO network finally seems to accelerating its crawl out of the Bay Area.

As reported at plugshare, Monterey and Bakersfield DCs now up and operational 24x7, and Visalia???
no condition is permanent

GRA

Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:17 pm

edatoakrun wrote:The CHADdeMO network finally seems to accelerating its crawl out of the Bay Area.

As reported at plugshare, Monterey and Bakersfield DCs now up and operational 24x7, and Visalia???
Putting it at CHOMP (Community Hospital Of the Monterey Peninsula) is a bit strange, as it's surrounded by a residential area and there's no services around there in walking distance (unless you want to eat hospital cafeteria/vending maching food), but it's a lot better than nothing. It is roughly at the junction between Monterey and Carmel and only a short distance on 68 off 1, so good for people traveling on 1 to/from Big Sur; put one there as well and they can probably make San Simeon. Now if we could only get a QC in Morgan Hill/Gilroy, (non-Tesla) BEV owners in the Bay Area might actually be able to _get_ to Monterey in a reasonable amount of time.

Visalia will be useful for people heading to/from Mineral King and Sequoia/Kings Canyon from the south, as well as N-S travel along 99. Now we just need them to also put them in at Fresno, Merced, Madera-Fairmead and Manteca-Oakdale, with another line parallel along Hwy 49 from Auburn down to Oakhurst, and we'll really be opening things up. We still need BEVs with at least 100 miles of freeway range to make them viable for regional trips, cause at the moment you'd need 3-4 QCs from the Bay Area to Yosemite in a LEAF or similar.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

The 'best' is the enemy of 'good enough'. Copper shot, not Silver bullets.

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:02 am

strange location?

ya maybe but guessing its more a question of limited options rather than bad choices.

its easy to sit on our perches and judge but thinking the job aint as easy as all that
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 412 mi, 99.72% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GRA

Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:36 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:strange location?

ya maybe but guessing its more a question of limited options rather than bad choices.

its easy to sit on our perches and judge but thinking the job aint as easy as all that
There are undoubtedly locations closer to downtown that have the power needed, so I don't think that's the issue. I imagine it's more a question of real estate costs and finding a host who'll take them. I'm sort of surprised they didn't put one in at CSUMB north of the city (CHOMP is south), as there are already some L2s there, and the CSU system, in the Bay Area at least, has been supportive of EVs (as you'd expect): http://news.csumb.edu/news/2013/apr/15/charge-your-ride" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not that CSUMB is anywhere near downtown, in fact it's located on what used to be Fort Ord in between Marina and Seaside. Unfortunately, while there are quite a few L2s in Salinas and in outlying cities, deployment of L2s in Monterey, Carmel and Pacific Grove has been very slow. Which is odd, because the area has quite a few EVs, and a populace that's supportive.
Last edited by GRA on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy [I have lots of experience designing/selling off-grid AE systems, some using EVs but don't own one. Local trips are by foot, bike and/or rapid transit].

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:54 am

GRA wrote:
edatoakrun wrote:The CHADdeMO network finally seems to accelerating its crawl out of the Bay Area.

Putting it at CHOMP (Community Hospital Of the Monterey Peninsula) is a bit strange, as it's surrounded by a residential area and there's no services around there in walking distance (unless you want to eat hospital cafeteria/vending maching food), but it's a lot better than nothing. It is roughly at the junction between Monterey and Carmel and only a short distance on 68 off 1, so good for people traveling on 1 to/from Big Sur; put one there as well and they can probably make San Simeon. Now if we could only get a QC in Morgan Hill/Gilroy, (non-Tesla) BEV owners in the Bay Area might actually be able to _get_ to Monterey in a reasonable amount of time.
Very strange. I'd never heard of CHOMP until now. Agreed about wanting a CHAdeMO QC in Morgan Hill or Gilroy. Maybe there should be another at a midpoint between Morgan Hill/Gilroy and CHOMP.

For me, to make it to CHOMP, the fastest route is 1 hour, 9 min drive, 66.9 miles, almost all highway. If I get there and it's down...

In the past, I'd kinda wanted to Leaf to Monterey or Carmel, but there was no CHAdeMO DC FC along the way and even the reasonably priced L2 choices (would take too long) around there weren't plentiful.

Given the CHAdeMO I see on Plugshare, Bakersfield and Visalia are a bit of head scratcher.

Looks like nothing's Leafable (by QC) at highway speeds of Bakersfield. The Visalia and Bakersfield QCs are 84.6 miles apart, almost all highway.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

GRA

Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:41 pm

cwerdna wrote:
GRA wrote:

Very strange. I'd never heard of CHOMP until now.
Only reason I'm familiar with CHOMP is that I'm a Monterey/Carmel diver, and whenever there's a diving accident that's where people get taken (and are then often sent back down the hills to the recompression chamber run by the Pacific Grove Fire Department). Fortunately, although I've often driven past it on the way south to Carmel dive sites I've never had to take that ambulance ride myself, but know and know of people who have, some of which, unfortunately, have been one-way trips (in most of those cases the ambulance ride is pro forma, because only a doctor can pronounce. Typically those involve a diver who's had a heart attack or similar; only the DCS/embolism incidents tend to be survivable).

cwerdna wrote: Agreed about wanting a CHAdeMO QC in Morgan Hill or Gilroy. Maybe there should be another at a midpoint between Morgan Hill/Gilroy and CHOMP.
Not really necessary if it's in Gilroy, as it's only 40 miles to downtown Monterey from there, and maybe another 3 or so to CHOMP if you stay on 1, but might be nice if in Morgan Hill. One in Salinas would be useful, for both people traveling 101 and (after cutting over to Monterey) Hwy 1.

cwerdna wrote: For me, to make it to CHOMP, the fastest route is 1 hour, 9 min drive, 66.9 miles, almost all highway. If I get there and it's down...[ /quote]There are starting to be a moderate number of L2s around the area including there, so you're not totally SoL, just inconvenienced. Nice biking along 17-Mile Drive (bikes get in free) while you're waiting! But you don't have to it all via 101 to Prunedale then 156 to 1, or 17 to Santa Cruz to 1. There are some very pretty back roads on the west side of 101 between Aromas and Castroville; I often use them coming back on Sundays if 156 is backed up. My favorite is Castroville Blvd - San Miguel Canyon Rd. - Tarpey Rd. - San Juan Rd., and then either take that to the junction with 101 at the Red Barn (can't miss it), or else hang a left at Carpinteria Rd. through Aromas to Riverside Rd. (Hwy 129) to 101.

cwerdna wrote: In the past, I'd kinda wanted to Leaf to Monterey or Carmel, but there was no CHAdeMO DC FC along the way and even the reasonably priced L2 choices (would take too long) around there weren't plentiful.

Given the CHAdeMO I see on Plugshare, Bakersfield and Visalia are a bit of head scratcher.

Looks like nothing's Leafable (by QC) at highway speeds of Bakersfield. The Visalia and Bakersfield QCs are 84.6 miles apart, almost all highway.
Given current BEV ranges they definitely need one in the Delano/Earlimart area. Of course, the best solution is to develop affordable BEVs that can reliably make it 100 miles or more at freeway speeds.
Last edited by GRA on Fri May 02, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:32 pm

GRA wrote:

Putting it at CHOMP (Community Hospital Of the Monterey Peninsula) is a bit strange, as it's surrounded by a residential area and there's no services around there in walking distance (unless you want to eat hospital cafeteria/vending maching food), but it's a lot better than nothing...
Someone recently posted this article about charging @ CHOMP: http://www.montereyherald.com/news/ci_2 ... ar-drivers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

'19 Bolt Premier
'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

mxp
Delivery Date: 26 Jun 2015

Thu May 01, 2014 11:43 pm

cwerdna wrote:
GRA wrote:

Putting it at CHOMP (Community Hospital Of the Monterey Peninsula) is a bit strange, as it's surrounded by a residential area and there's no services around there in walking distance (unless you want to eat hospital cafeteria/vending maching food), but it's a lot better than nothing...
Someone recently posted this article about charging @ CHOMP: http://www.montereyherald.com/news/ci_2 ... ar-drivers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Assuming you can get a full 100% charge at a QC from a Nissan dealership in San Jose, its a 75 mile trip down to CHOMP. Factoring in the mountain and hill terrains, will this particular trip to Monterey be suicide?? ;-)

GRA

Fri May 02, 2014 4:26 pm

mxp wrote: Assuming you can get a full 100% charge at a QC from a Nissan dealership in San Jose, its a 75 mile trip down to CHOMP. Factoring in the mountain and hill terrains, will this particular trip to Monterey be suicide?? ;-)
Depends on conditions. Most of the trip is pretty flat. Having a look at it on gpsvisualizer. com, you climb from about 90' up to 400' before dropping back down to 150' south of Gilroy, then climb about 350' and lose it all again before you get to Monterey. Then there's a climb on Hwy 1 (from 7', the low point of the whole route, up to 638', the high point ditto) from the downtown Monterey area up to the CHOMP exit (HWY 68).

There are various side roads you can take, but if you want to keep on 101/156/1 there are quite a few L2s you can charge at on the way, in Gilroy, Castroville, Marina, and Seaside as well as a Monterey exit or two before you get to CHOMP's. Biggest problems are likely to come from wind and/or heater use, not elevation. On 156 between Prunedale and Castroville, if the traffic's even moderate you'll be going slower than freeway speed, if not in stop and go. Time of day is critical on the weekends, as well as whether there's a big event in the Monterey area, which turns 156 into a parking lot. So, it can be done, but it will be close.

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”