NRG eVgo California Rollout Map Overview

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveEV

Found this image on this eVgo YouTube video showing where NRG is planning on installing the 200 QC stations for California.

Anyone else see some major issues with it?

bboe.png

You're probably referring to the concentration of the charging stations and the fact that they are not being installed state wide?

I don't think that was the main driver of the settlement, although they could have planned a series of charging stations up to the northern border pretty easily...

However, on the other side of the coin, those are just the minimum number of Freedom Station units required. NRG eVgo is always free to install additional units where it makes financial sense beyond these sites...Would drivers use a north to south route and make it profitable? Interesting question....

Maybe I am just strange (actually I know that I am - I drive an EV), but it seems to me that the real need in the DCQC world is the ability to travel greater distances from our home base.

To do that there needs to be Quick Charging stations every 25 to 30 miles along the major freeways. Drive for 30 minutes to one hour, stop for Quick Charge and Potty break, then go for another 30 minutes to one hour.

If these stations are clustered around population centers the users will be those who do not have the ability to install a L2 EVSE at their home. I no longer use the L3 at the dealer I leased from unless I am in the area and do not have sufficient charge to get back home. It may be "FREE" but it does cost me time. I would rather plug in at home and pay the $1 or $2 for electricity than drive out of my way and wait 10 or 20 minutes.

Just my 2 cents.

Well, my biggest issue was that stations seemed to miss quite a few major areas which are likely to have a large number of PEVs

Sacramento, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo (all along 101 between Santa Clara and Los Angeles would be great to fill in), for example.

I'd have to guess that for some crazy reason they may be installing stations along I5. I really hope not and are installing them along Route 99, as I5 would be the worst place to install stations for today's EVs that could use them.

The distribution of the initial 200 stations is specified in the settlement agreement http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/NR/rdonlyres...C5A-B6BD398CCBF6/0/JointOfferofSettlement.pdfand is based on how much money Dynergy stole from utility customers in various regions, not on how many EV's are in each region:

(1) one-hundred ten (110) to be located in the LA Basin;
(2) fifty-five (55) to be located in the SF Bay Area;
(3) fifteen (15) in the San Joaquin Valley; and
(4) twenty (20) in San Diego County.

drees said:
I'd have to guess that for some crazy reason they may be installing stations along I5. I really hope not and are installing them along Route 99, as I5 would be the worst place to install stations for today's EVs that could use them.
Given the requirement to build 15 in the San Joaquin Valley it seems they could choose to put them along 99 rather than along I-5, not just to facilitate inter-city driving but also to serve the cities of Bakersfield, Fresno, and Modesto. And given that they'd prefer to make money from the stations it seems that doing so would be to their benefit as well.

walterbays said:
The distribution of the initial 200 stations is specified in the settlement agreement http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/NR/rdonlyres...C5A-B6BD398CCBF6/0/JointOfferofSettlement.pdfand is based on how much money Dynergy stole from utility customers in various regions, not on how many EV's are in each region.
I guess that makes some sort of sense. Looks like it also specifically states that no more than 2 DCQC or 2 L2 stations may be installed per location as well. And more than 1 L2 station can only be installed with "spare" funds. All sorts of weird stuff in there.

What a nut-ball way of increasing infrastructure - I suppose that was done so that other vendors could still come in and install stations or something, but that only makes for a less efficient spending of the money overall.

drees said:
What a nut-ball way of increasing infrastructure
Agreed. But FAR better than every other way. E.g., with the DOE's EV Project we got Blink with their low equipment quality, hopeless business plan, and lavish executive bonuses. So they went bankrupt and CarCharging bought them, and we can still hope but all I know for sure about them is that they spend millions on lavish executive bonuses and not a dime on repairing public charging stations. Other entrants seem to be pretty much stalled by the CPUC's ruling that utility demand charges apply to car quick charging. So eVgo for all its quirks is the only game in town.

(thread resurrection)
DaveEV said:
Found this image on this eVgo YouTube video showing where NRG is planning on installing the 200 QC stations for California.

Anyone else see some major issues with it?

bboe.png
Image is broken but it seems viewable at https://web.archive.org/web/20140223100444/http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/23/bboe.png.

In case the YouTube video goes away, I took a capture and put the image up at https://imgur.com/a/gnga95G.

Back