A new kind of tow truck

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LTLFTcomposite

How about a power take-off on a pickup truck that can drive a big generator to provide level 3 charging? Is anyone working on that?

Something like this:
http://www.prweb.com/releases/realpower/mobilegenerators/prweb3282964.htm

Yes, their 60KVA model http://www.realacpower.com/features2.html could be connected to the 50KW 480V 3 phase DC fast charger on a specialized "rescue truck". It is rumored Nissan is in talks with Triple A for just such emergency recharging vehicles.

mitch672 said:
Yes, their 60KVA model http://www.realacpower.com/features2.html could be connected to the 50KW 480V 3 phase DC fast charger on a specialized "rescue truck". It is rumored Nissan is in talks with Triple A for just such emergency recharging vehicles.

Someone (prob a troll) on here said that it would be very expensive to use that AAA fast charging emergency help, but the way I understood Nissan, it would be covered under their roadside assistance policy.

I don't imagine having Triple A come out with their specialized truck will be cheap for them, however, if you have Triple A, they don't really have provisions (yet) to charge you for the speciliazed "jump". I imagine that Nissan will be assisting with the setup of their rescue fleet, and may also provide some financial assistance getting it setup. Still, I would not expect there will be a lot of these specialized EV charging trucks, in which case it could take a while to reach the stranded Leaf driver. More likely, AAA is going to send out a regular tow truck and tow you home, if within a 100 miles (Triple A Plus), or tow you to the nearest service station, where you could plug in your 120V charger, and wait.

In flying a Hot Air Balloon, there were times where I had little choice about where to land. I always carried a bottle of less-expensive champagne to share with the land-owners. Conditions permitting, I would usually offer them a short "ride" in the basket.

So, in a similar manner, before one actually cannot drive the LEAF any further, find any home, park and knock on the door, and offer your "new friends" something like a celebration and a chance to sit in, charge, and even ride in, a totally electric vehicle. Done well, before you knock on 4 doors, you will likely get a charge, and be able to spend some time making new friends.

I like Gary's idea, although I drive such short distances I doubt I'll have a chance to implement it, except in reverse. That is, another option is for Leaf owners to post their residence locations on a charging station map. I know on the Aptera forum there was a link to a map already started of charging stations for EVs and the idea was owners could list their homes if they are willing to share with another Leaf (or other EV) driver, perhaps with any conditions described, e.g. what hours it's available, whether conditioned on chipping in for electricity cost, what type of connector, etc. These wouldn't be on Nissan's map but owners could program in the homes of other Leaf owners in their area at least. I'd be happy to have other Leaf owners drop by and say hi, share experiences and a cup of coffee or maybe even a beer on those hot days when you don't want to use the A/C in the car when you're almost out of juice.

Is it safe to assume that all Nissan dealers will have a publicly available Level 3 charger? Maybe the right answer is for AAA to tow one to the nearest dealership for a recharge? Even if not publicly available, perhaps the charge could be done as a billable service item?

mwalsh said:
Is it safe to assume that all Nissan dealers will have a publicly available Level 3 charger? Maybe the right answer is for AAA to tow one to the nearest dealership for a recharge? Even if not publicly available, perhaps the charge could be done as a billable service item?

that's probably what would happen most often.

I actually sent an email to the local coulomb distributor, to see how much it costs to have a "chargepoint" installed. No response so far.

mitch672 said:
I actually sent an email to the local coulomb distributor, to see how much it costs to have a "chargepoint" installed. No response so far.
Not sure how accurate this info is, but hybridcars.com was reporting in January of a Level 3 charger unit that costs appx $40,000 with an additional appx $20,000 installation price.

http://www.hybridcars.com/news/coulomb-promises-gas-pump-style-ev-rapid-charging-26436.html

JasonT said:
mitch672 said:
Not sure how accurate this info is, but hybridcars.com was reporting in January of a Level 3 charger unit that costs appx $40,000 with an additional appx $20,000 installation price.

http://www.hybridcars.com/news/coulomb-promises-gas-pump-style-ev-rapid-charging-26436.html

I was only looking for their model "CT2100" which is a combo Level 1 (120V outlet behind a locked door), and a Level 2 (J-1772 EVSE) model. I saw a slide presentation that puts it at $7,000 installed.. that's way too much for me. If it wasn't much more than a standard EVSE @ $2200, I would consider putting it outside the garage, and then it would be listed on the "ChargePoint" Networks map, and it would essentialy be a "public charger", I would go up to $3000 or so but not $7K...

One other possiblity is to lobby your city (if you are in a smaller suburban city in the metro area) to put a few chargers at the local library. I plan to do that with my city.

ps : The 120V charging infront of the house will be too slow to be of much help to anyone ...

evnow said:
One other possiblity is to lobby your city (if you are in a smaller suburban city in the metro area) to put a few chargers at the local library. I plan to do that with my city.

ps : The 120V charging infront of the house will be too slow to be of much help to anyone ...

Good idea, now people will have a reason to go to a library.

evnow said:

the 120V would be for me, if someone was using the J-1772 when I need it [that way I still get reporting on the outlet etc] :) I don't think there is much of a price difference between their single J-1772 model and the dual model with the 120V outlet, both are just too expesive for a residential installation, to provide public charging access

mitch672 said:
I was only looking for their model "CT2100" which is a combo Level 1 (120V outlet behind a locked door), and a Level 2 (J-1772 EVSE) model. I saw a slide presentation that puts it at $7,000 installed.. that's way too much for me. If it wasn't much more than a standard EVSE @ $2200, I would consider putting it outside the garage, and then it would be listed on the "ChargePoint" Networks map, and it would essentialy be a "public charger", I would go up to $3000 or so but not $7K...
(I need to stop refreshing this site)
Anyway, sorry, I saw your post was in response to a level 3 charger, so I assumed that's what you were wondering about price-wise.

My understanding is that the EVSE is rated/built to be able to be outside as well. I say go with that, and just get yourself on some of the "community" charging sites. Assuming EVs take off like we're hoping they will, I imagine that there will be better resources than just "ChargePoint" to find charging stations. Sure, it might not show up on the in-car map, but anyone with a smart phone or who has pre-planned their trip will know about your station.

LTLFTcomposite said:
How about a power take-off on a pickup truck that can drive a big generator to provide level 3 charging?

Or perhaps just find a way to tow a Leaf while it's on and the brake is applied. That will charge it without any PTO/generator/charger required.

Can the two front-end "tie-down" points
be used for towing without damaging the car?

I suspect not.

How should the LEAF be attached to be pulled
up the slope for loading onto a flat-bed truck?

Wouldn't it be nice if there was some provision for transferring power from one Leaf (or other EV) to another? Battery-to-battery charging could easily reach Level3 rates so it would be a quick procedure.

Back