Wait time for California DMV carpool stickers?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ Got my rebate yesterday. I think I have another thread going somewhere, but there was essentially a holdup of funds that were supposed to transfer between CARB and CSE. These funds were received by the CSE last Tuesday, and they have been working to get caught up (which they have appear to have done).

Car bought : 10/02/2013
Got the CA DMV licence plate in the mail: 10/22/2013
Sent the paperwork to Sacramento for the decal : 10/22/2013
The check was cashed on : 11/13/2013
Got the decal sticker in the post today: 11/16/2013 (26 days after the application was sent in)
(Can't wait for Monday to use the HOV sticker:)

Got the free aero environment unit install: 10/31/2013
Waiting for the state rebate check(they haven't mailed it out yet)

-- A happy camper

moonpoint said:
Car bought : 10/02/2013
Got the CA DMV licence plate in the mail: 10/22/2013
Sent the paperwork to Sacramento for the decal : 10/22/2013
The check was cashed on : 11/13/2013
Got the decal sticker in the post today: 11/16/2013 (26 days after the application was sent in)
(Can't wait for Monday to use the HOV sticker:)

Got the free aero environment unit install: 10/31/2013
Waiting for the state rebate check(they haven't mailed it out yet)

-- A happy camper

Glad to hear you received your decal stickers. May I ask what form of payment did you incl with your application ? Personal check or demand draft ?
I mailed in mine couple of weeks ago, but still my personal check hasn't been cashed out.

With demand drafts, if you're talking about e-check I think it's only available for registration and license renewals (where you aren't required to come in), similar to when they accept credit cards. I don't think they do it for something like this.

Your check will not be processed until the application itself has been processed.

myleaf2013:
Glad to hear you received your decal stickers. May I ask what form of payment did you incl with your application ? Personal check or demand draft ?

I sent in a personal check.
Best

We got our stickers yesterday and the check was cashed (or at least cleared) the same day. We leased Dec 3 but 2 weeks later I called DMV since we hadn't gotten our plates and they still had not got our registration info from the dealer (Boardwalk in Redwood City). Last time we bought a car we had plates less than 2 weeks later. So I emailed the dealer and asked them to hurry that up, then we got our plates around Dec 23, sent in the sticker application same day. With holiday down accounted for, time it seems like about 2-3 weeks from application being sent to stickers arriving.

Our rebate hasn't arrived yet and was approved Dec 13.

We are STILL waiting for the CA rebate - more than 60 days now since "acceptance", which took about 2 weeks for them to process in the first place. Getting a bit annoyed about that, why should it take more than 2 months to mail a check once the rebate is accepted?

tinaCA said:
We are STILL waiting for the CA rebate - more than 60 days now since "acceptance", which took about 2 weeks for them to process in the first place. Getting a bit annoyed about that, why should it take more than 2 months to mail a check once the rebate is accepted?

dont get annoyed. call them.
they are user friendly.

My Leaf comes with a white sticker installed when I got it from the dealership, anyone know if I can start using HOV lane right away, or do I still have to wait for my license plate comes in, register the sticker before I can drive on the HOV lane?

okdl said:
My Leaf comes with a white sticker installed when I got it from the dealership, anyone know if I can start using HOV lane right away, or do I still have to wait for my license plate comes in, register the sticker before I can drive on the HOV lane?

So long as the decals are on your car AND you have the DMV document that ties them to your VIN number, you're fine with using the HOV lane. No need for plates.

mwalsh said:
okdl said:

So long as the decals are on your car AND you have the DMV document that ties them to your VIN number, you're fine with using the HOV lane. No need for plates.

Thanks for your response, mwalsh. Will the temporary DMV registration from the dealership (the one that dealer put on your windshield with a clear sticker) qualify as such DMV document?

okdl said:
Thanks for your response, mwalsh. Will the temporary DMV registration from the dealership (the one that dealer put on your windshield with a clear sticker) qualify as such DMV document?

No. The decals traditionally have come with their own paperwork. See the (redacted) copy of mine below.

Now, for both my cars I had to get the decals myself. This dealer application process has only been in effect since August of last year, so things may be a bit different with it. But I think I would ask your dealer if he/she knows if there is supposed to be this documentation and if they should give it to you or if you're supposed to get it by mail.

If you need to wait on it being mailed, it's up to you whether you want to risk the HOV lane and the possibility a cop who maybe doesn't feel like being nice (it's a big fine for that particular ticket).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 68
mwalsh said:
okdl said:

No. The decals traditionally have come with their own paperwork. See the (redacted) copy of mine below.

Thanks mwalsh, you are a life saver - called dealer and was able to ask them to locate this document (which they were supposed to hand to me when I got the car).

mwalsh said:
okdl said:

Check this! I saw CHP pull over a LEAF with HOV stickers but no plates yesterday. There didn't seem to be any other reason to pull over the LEAF which was in the carpool lane of an on-ramp, while the CHP was in a non-carpool lane of the same ramp.

srl99 said:
Check this! I saw CHP pull over a LEAF with HOV stickers but no plates yesterday. There didn't seem to be any other reason to pull over the LEAF which was in the carpool lane of an on-ramp, while the CHP was in a non-carpool lane of the same ramp.

I've had this sort of happen before. The white decals only call for placement on the rear of the car, where the green ones come with a front sticker. It makes it harder for CHP officers to identify cars they don't recognize to be compliant from the front.

In my case, it was a motorcycle officer who was perched at the top of the ramp. He saw me coming, started to mount up, and then changed his mind once he saw the rear of my car. In the instance you note, I'm guessing the CHP officer decided that once he had committed to pulling this guy over, he was going to do it no matter what. Which is why it's so important to carry the decal certificate in the car with you.

From the CA DMV HOV page https://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/decal.htm :

26. Q: If I am stopped by law enforcement, what documentation do I need to show the officer for my CAV decals?

A: You must present your current registration card and your CAV decal ID card.

If I were driving w/o plates, I would keep a copy of this for the officer. Then again, HOV lane is about saving time, and getting stopped negates that, so I would press the dealer to expedite the plates. It's possible to get them in a few days if the dealer has excellent DMV service.

This is more for potential PHEV buyers/lessees than anybody else, and my apologies if it was posted elsewhere, but as many early Leaf adopters are moving on to PHEVs I figure this is important info to get out:

Any Californian looking to buy or lease a plug-in hybrid and is expecting solo HOV lane access better hurry. Less than 4,000 of the allotted 40,000 green stickers remain:

http://insideevs.com/3000-green-high-occupancy-vehicle-sticker-left-california/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course this restriction does not apply to white-stickered cars like the Leaf. For now those numbers remain uncapped, and both white and green stickered cars will be allowed solo HOV privileges until 1/1/2019, thanks to a recent change in the law.

I do wonder how this will affect sales of say the Plug-in Prius, whose paltry EV-only range is offset by its ability to get an HOV sticker, or of the upcoming BMW i3, because the REx option will make it a green-sticker car and the remaining sticker allotment is expected to run out before that car is released in the US.

I suspect also that once all 40,000 stickers have been spoken for, it might drive up prices for low-mileage used PHEVs and new ones that are still on dealer lots that the dealer was able to successfully get stickers for.

Back