Leaf Quick Release Hitch for bike racks or cargo

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Quick Release Hitch installation was straight forward on my 2011 SV. (I was going to say without a hitch.) I have an aluminum cargo carrier modified to transport miniature (1/8th size) railroad cars.

It beats my Nissan van doing the same job. This rail car wasn't completed when I took this.

For additional security I added a second (1/2" Diameter) hitch pin to the quick release mechanism in the hole provided. This pin is actuated by a manual choke cable with the push/pull knob beside the hole in the belly pan. I plan to add lights to the cargo carrier so have installed (see my post on how) a standard four-pin trailer plug behind the license plate.

I needed to carry a mobility scooter with my Quick Release Hitch. Here's what I chose. It's a Mighty Light Aluminum Carrier that weighs in at 43 pounds with a ramp. I spaced it 2" taller so the corners wouldn't "catch" over big dips in the terrain. The scooter is a Lexi Light or Easy Travel that weighs under 60 pounds.
ScooterCarrier008.jpg

ScooterCarrier010.jpg

I did this install over the weekend on my '13 Leaf. It was not a complete piece of cake. I think if I had to do it again it would be easy but the concepts around fishing the bolt and "rectangular washer" thru the frame was very hard for me to grasp and perform. I am mechanically inclined and have been working on cars for over 20 years and this was challenging. I lost my "rectangular washer" inside the frame of the car and had to fish it out with a magnet and a couple of hemostats.

A diagram and / or video thoroughly showing the fishing process would be very helpful. I'm thinking a mock-up cutaway view of the frame showing the fishing procedure would go a long way to clarifying the process, Pictures with a broader view, to see exactly where the holes in the frame are with respect to the other parts of the car, would also be helpful.

The key is: be patient. Once you thread the bolt onto the fish wire it is VERY hard if not impossible to unthread without destroying the fish wire. I had to start over and make a new fish wire. Make sure you have it right before you commit. As mentioned previously here don't thread the fish wire further up the bolt than necessary. There isn't enough room in the diameter for the bolt and the wire to pass thru the hole in the rectangular washer. A picture of the threading would be helpful to conceptualize.

Have hemostats or long needle nose pliers on hand. These are excellent for grabbing the fish wire thru the holes in the frame.

Keep in mind you WILL have to cut and drill your "new" car. A rectangular hole has to be cut in the diffuser (plastic piece where the gas tank would be in a regular car) to pass the hitch receiver thru. A hole for the quick release wire has to be drilled thru the trunk. Also an existing frame hole needs to be drilled larger.

On a side note: you can see that there is a ton of room under the car for more batteries or more storage. I don't know why Nissan didn't better utilize the space under the diffuser. I understand more batteries would lead to a lot more cost but a deeper trunk would have definitely been doable.

Camping anyone? Hitch is usually configured for carrying my bike. Now I just need to find a way to carry my bike and this trailer at the same time.

20130823-093259.jpg

Nearly all RV campgrounds will have a least a 110v outlet to use. Most have 220v. Good to remember if u need juice out on the road.

palmermd said:
Camping anyone? Hitch is usually configured for carrying my bike. Now I just need to find a way to carry my bike and this trailer at the same time.
Cool Michael! I'm jealous! I wish trailers like that were rentable...

For bikes, you could try one of these (though it might weigh more than your bike!):
hitch adapter

It's been about 3 months or more since Electric4Me installed the hitch he designed on my LEAF. Not being mechanical, glad he did the installation.

My review: GREAT hitch. No problems whatsoever. Highly recommend it to extend your fun and versatility. Wish I had done it sooner--sort of the same refrain with everything else renewable. Wish I had gotten solar, EVs, etc. sooner.

My bike rack OTH is kind of shaky (Kuat) but wanted a light-weight aluminum which it is. But it gets the job done for the price.

"Camping anyone? Hitch is usually configured for carrying my bike. Now I just need to find a way to carry my bike and this trailer at the same time."

Can't you put a mount for the bike on the rear of the camper, and add weight to the front inside to re-balance it?

It says:

"Shoot me an email for current pricing."

But i can't find your email address... I am interested in current pricing and availability.

I don't check the forums very often, so a direct email would be best.

To keep the internet trolls from easily sending me spam, my email address is: paul at gilbertson dot net

Thanks Bill,

Paul

2013 SV - 10/10/13 - in for it's 6 month checkup today.

gilbe027 said:
It says:

"Shoot me an email for current pricing."

But i can't find your email address... I am interested in current pricing and availability.
Oops! I thought my email address was visible, but it wasn't. I've added it to the text now, and sent you an email.

Back