135 mile range LEAF? Where did this come from?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
40 miles under ideal conditions can mean well under 20 in worst case conditions. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see a large market for cars whose utility is even more limited by range than the new ones are, no matter their price. Is there really a significant market for what are essentially NHTSA standards-compatible NEVs? I doubt it. If Nissan could just 'pop new batteries in them' and make a decent return, they could also provide a price for those same new batteries to their current customers that wouldn't give them apoplexy.

Well, those worst conditions are Minnesota on the freeway in a blizzard. Everywhere I need to be during the week is under 10 miles one way from my house and the lowest we saw last winter was 17 for about an hour one night. And these wouldn't be NEVs. Super low range, maybe, but with around-view monitor and leather? Doesn't seem too shabby to me, if the price is right.

GRA said:
40 miles under ideal conditions can mean well under 20 in worst case conditions.
Worst condition would be zero - since you can always find such conditions. But let us not pretend these are frequent scenarios for majority of consumers.

dm33 said:
Stoaty said:
dm33 said:
1) He claimed a larger capacity LEAF is on the way. He kept referring to a 125 mile LEAF.
2) He said he's ridden in LEAFs with varying size packs up to 48kwh but said that took up trunk space, added significant weight, was substantially more expensive and therefore consumers wouldn't be interested in it.
His (the Nissan manager, not dm33) statements appear to conflict with each other... move on folks, nothing to see here.
In #2, is referring to the 48kwh battery. The statements do not conflict. He's stating that it's a smaller battery than 48kwh.

You'd need 48kWh or close to it for what most people would consider a "true" 125 mile LEAF.

Nubo said:
You'd need 48kWh or close to it for what most people would consider a "true" 125 mile LEAF.
24 kwh battery gives us 84 EPA miles. So, 48 kWh should give close to double that range - may be a few miles less because of added weight i.e. 160 miles.

BTW, your assertion of "most people" is without substance.

evnow said:
Nubo said:
24 kwh battery gives us 84 EPA miles. So, 48 kWh should give close to double that range - may be a few miles less because of added weight i.e. 160 miles.

BTW, your assertion of "most people" is without substance.

When people come onto MYN, asking "will LEAF work for me....?" anyone with a regular trip over about 60 miles is generally advised to either look elsewhere, or be VERY careful with their plans and expectations. This is the context in which I made my statement, not the EPA range estimate.

At an eco fair this weekend north of Chicago, the local leaf dealership present also had heard unconfirmed speculation from Nissan that range would go up in 2015 model.

Happy to support the emergent market for evs.

GRA said:
Not if no one wants all the cars coming off lease, which is almost certainly the current situation. The iMiEV at 62 miles EPA is too short ranged for many people when new; how many people will value a used LEAF that starts with a range of 40 miles or less under ideal conditions?
Lots and lots of people will want off lease Leafs. People said the same thing about the Prius when it first came out also. Don't forget that virtually all of the off lease Leafs will still be under the battery warranty.

Nubo said:
When people come onto MYN, asking "will LEAF work for me....?" anyone with a regular trip over about 60 miles is generally advised to either look elsewhere, or be VERY careful with their plans and expectations. This is the context in which I made my statement, not the EPA range estimate.
But the context is what some Nissan manager apparently said. He should be talking from EPA range perspective.

Moreover - the reason "most people" are asking about 100+ range BEV, it is because they are thinking about winter range and possible degradation, already.

jelloslug said:
GRA said:
Not if no one wants all the cars coming off lease, which is almost certainly the current situation. The iMiEV at 62 miles EPA is too short ranged for many people when new; how many people will value a used LEAF that starts with a range of 40 miles or less under ideal conditions?
Lots and lots of people will want off lease Leafs. People said the same thing about the Prius when it first came out also. Don't forget that virtually all of the off lease Leafs will still be under the battery warranty.
Hardly the same situations - The Prius retains its original performance, the same as any other ICE at the end of the lease, and the LEAF's is reduced from what, when new, was already viewed as inadequate by the majority of consumers.

evnow said:
Nubo said:
But the context is what some Nissan manager apparently said. He should be talking from EPA range perspective.

Moreover - the reason "most people" are asking about 100+ range BEV, it is because they are thinking about winter range and possible degradation, already.
If so, that's a big improvement in general knowledge from a couple of years ago and a major difference from 2011 or 2012, when anyone who pointed out that winter conditions and battery degradation needed to be taken into account when considering if a BEV was suitable, was almost certain to be accused by fanboys of being anti-EV or a troll. I guess enough owners have gotten past the honeymoon stage and have experienced the real limitations that less than ideal conditions impose, so that they can look at their cars more objectively.

pkulak said:
GRA said:
40 miles under ideal conditions can mean well under 20 in worst case conditions. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see a large market for cars whose utility is even more limited by range than the new ones are, no matter their price. Is there really a significant market for what are essentially NHTSA standards-compatible NEVs? I doubt it. If Nissan could just 'pop new batteries in them' and make a decent return, they could also provide a price for those same new batteries to their current customers that wouldn't give them apoplexy.

Well, those worst conditions are Minnesota on the freeway in a blizzard. Everywhere I need to be during the week is under 10 miles one way from my house and the lowest we saw last winter was 17 for about an hour one night. And these wouldn't be NEVs. Super low range, maybe, but with around-view monitor and leather? Doesn't seem too shabby to me, if the price is right.
What would be the right price for you, considering that you'll be able to get a brand new 2014 62 mile EPA iMiEV for $15.5k after the fed subsidy, and only $13k in California? At what price do you think it's worth Nissan's time to try and sell these cars, plus assume the continuing liability?

evnow said:
GRA said:
40 miles under ideal conditions can mean well under 20 in worst case conditions.
Worst condition would be zero - since you can always find such conditions. But let us not pretend these are frequent scenarios for majority of consumers.
Frequent enough for anyone who lives in New England, around the Great Lakes, in the plains or the Rockies, and as has been apparent this past winter, could occur even in areas that would normally never experience such temps. And then there's continuing degradation due to heat in much of the country, so unless Nissan plans to ship all the off-lease cars to the PNW and areas with similar climates, I see a miniscule market for what is already a tiny niche vehicle. Then there's the whole problem of BEVs being seen as 'throw-away' vehicles, which is hardly the attitude we should be aiming for.

Screenshot_2014-04-07-19-19-27.png

(hope the link comes through, it shows 511 GIDS)

not sure why my Leaf Spy malfunctioned, but would love to tell you I already had the 135 mile leaf.

evnow said:
Nubo said:

I'll define the context of my own post, thanks. He can keep his context. Whether that was EPA(imagined), or Nissan Miles, or Nissan Japan Miles, is a matter of conjecture. ;)

GRA said:
jelloslug said:
GRA said:
Hardly the same situations - The Prius retains its original performance, the same as any other ICE at the end of the lease, and the LEAF's is reduced from what, when new, was already viewed as inadequate by the majority of consumers.
You are still missing the fact that the battery will still be under warrantee in just about every single off lease scenario.

GRA said:
pkulak said:
GRA said:

What would be the right price for you, considering that you'll be able to get a brand new 2014 62 mile EPA iMiEV for $15.5k after the fed subsidy, and only $13k in California? At what price do you think it's worth Nissan's time to try and sell these cars, plus assume the continuing liability?

I'd probably take a 40-mile, used Leaf SL over a brand new iMiEV, even at the same price. That iMiEV is a turd. And if the used Leaf was 10 grand? No brainer. Range matters a lot, but it's not everything. I can run errands all day around town and not hit 40 miles. And I'd rather do that in a nice car.

jelloslug said:
GRA said:
jelloslug said:
You are still missing the fact that the battery will still be under warrantee in just about every single off lease scenario.
Uh huh, and the question is will Nissan replace all the batteries under warranty with new ones or used ones? How much will this cost them, and is it worth it, to them or (if swapping in a used battery) the owners?

pkulak said:
GRA said:
pkulak said:

I'd probably take a 40-mile, used Leaf SL over a brand new iMiEV, even at the same price. That iMiEV is a turd. And if the used Leaf was 10 grand? No brainer. Range matters a lot, but it's not everything. I can run errands all day around town and not hit 40 miles. And I'd rather do that in a nice car.
Okay, that's you, and your specific circumstantces. Now, if you were in Georgia, where instead of $2,500 from the state you got $5,000, so that the iMiEV now costs just $10.5k, would that change your mind? How about in Colorado ($6k? from the state)? And how many other people will see it the same way you do? After all, lack of range is the single most important issue that people have with BEVs.

GRA said:
After all, lack of range is the single most important issue that people have with BEVs.

No, it's the single most important issue that people have with Leafs, because the Leaf is actually a pretty nice little car. The range stands out against that. Give most people an iMiEV and their first complaint is not going to be the range.

I'm really not some outlier. It seems like everyone on here has a 50-mile commute, but I can assure you, not everyone does. People live in cities too. I work 8 miles away from my house and I don't even use a car for that commute.

pkulak said:
GRA said:
After all, lack of range is the single most important issue that people have with BEVs.

No, it's the single most important issue that people have with Leafs, because the Leaf is actually a pretty nice little car. The range stands out against that. Give most people an iMiEV and their first complaint is not going to be the range.

Agreed. iMiEV is just a bit on the wrong side of "not enough car", and "too weird". This is one thing Nissan got very right. Different enough to get noticed, but not too weird, nor overt "punishment car", to borrow from Tesla founder...

I'm pretty happy with our LEAF. I'd love to see more range and better commitment to addressing owners' concerns about the battery, and of course a more durable battery. I'd like to have purchase make sense vs. a lease. If purchase doesn't make sense, there's obviously a problem.

Back